mayiara

all messages by user

7/26/2014
Topic:
Unaware of Potential PR until Detained at Airport

mayiara
mayiara
Hi,

I am a US citizen living in Washington DC. About two years ago, I was detained at the airport and questioned on whether I had ever had PR in Canada or applied for it. Apparently my father applied to immigrate to Canada a few decades ago when I must have been 4 or 5. Since my family ended up immigrating to another country, we never ended up living in Canada. In other words, we never satisfied the residency requirement. While I travelled to Canada at least 3 times in the intervening years, until this most recent trip, I was able to enter and exit Canada using my US passport with no issues.

I have a few questions:

1) How would I figure out whether I have ever had it or not?

2) If I did have PR status at one point, then how would I relinquish it? Ie. where would I get a copy of IMM 1342B and where would I send it to?

3) I did not have PR status at any point, what do I need to do to get into Canada as a US citizen without being detained?

I have tried finding this information in ENF 23
Loss of Permanent Resident Status, and in this forum, but I have not been able to understand what to do next. I would like to travel to Canada soon. I have also tried calling the NYC consulate at 212 596 1628, but I was not able to figure out which option to select or how to otherwise speak to a person.

Any guidance you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mayiara