Lost password

Melodymaster

all messages by user

11/20/2014
Topic:
Unexpected Retroactive Charge for Parking Upgrade

Melodymaster
Melodymaster
I moved into this Mississauga apartment about four years ago; after I was here 6 months I upgraded from outside parking to indoor, with an increase from $42 to $57 spot rental, parking being handled by an agency separate from the landlord.

I signed an agreement to this effect, of which I did NOT receive a copy.

Since then I have received regular copies of the register, with balance paid and owing, and the occasional notice when rent was late, again showing the total due.

The total INCLUDED parking, the charge was not listed separately.

The rent has increased considerably since I moved here, my not having a clear idea of what the suite rental now is.

The landlord has agreed IN WRITING that my rent (including parking) was paid up after I paid a balance owing of $29.

In fact when I had on occasion overpaid the given amount, the overpayment was added to the one month deposit as shown on the register.

Now I'm suddenly told that, oops, a mistake was made, you did not pay the difference of $42 to $57, thus you owe for three and a half years difference, or $15 X 40, thus $600, which will be added to the next rent due.

I had absolutely no knowledge, never knew I was underpaying total rent, and was acknowledged BY THE LANDLORD as being paid up for total rent.

Can they do this?

In no way can I afford this unexpected charge.

I'll pay the new parking charge henceforth, no problem. So far I haven't responded to the letter, I need to know my options.

(One possibility for the cause of the error is that both my old above ground and the new underground spot coincidentally have the same number.)