Lost password

Perry

all messages by user

1/2/2015
Topic:
Utility failed to bill Landlord or Tenant

Perry
Perry
I am a landlord. About six months ago, my long-time tenant moved out, and a new set of tenants moved in. Both leases had provisions making utilities the responsibility of the tenants. The hot water tank in the place is rented from a utility company. The utility company, due to an "administrative error" failed to send bills for the past two and a half years. They have recently sent a bill for the entire period. I can no longer reasonably go to my old tenant and ask him for two years of rental. This is essentially the fault of the utility company, whose error prevented me from billing him (each of us thought the other was receiving and paying the bills). I have no problem paying the bill from the point the new tenants moved in, but since the utility company's error is responsible for my not being able to recover the first two years, are they responsible for that loss^
1/5/2015
Topic:
Utility failed to bill Landlord or Tenant

Perry
Perry
Hi:

Thanks for the reply. I emailed the nice people at LandlordSelfHelp. If I do get a response, I will (barring any policy against it) make a note of that response here for the benefit of anybody else who runs into this (admittedly rare) problem.

Thanks again

P.