Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

3yrs&counting

all messages by user

1/11/2015
Topic:
What are my healthcare options while we wait?

3yrs&counting
3yrs&counting
I have applied for my PR in July 2014. Received the letter it had been received by Immigration Canada. Following the timeline its going to be well over 2 1/2 years I will be here with no healthcare. My husband is military and I'm sure we will be posted out to somewhere else where I still won't have healthcare or out of the country before my application is even reviewed. I have seen private healthcare for people on a visitor status but there is no way we can afford that right now. I don't go out in winter and am very careful the rest of the year because I can't afford to get hurt. It's really wearing me down. What have you or someone in this position had to do?
1/13/2015
Topic:
What are my healthcare options while we wait?

3yrs&counting
3yrs&counting
Thank you for the information. Being a nurse luckily I am able to treat most situations. I have tried the CHC but have been told as I am deemed a "visitor" that I am not eligible for care. Being in such a small place there isn't even care for my daughter who is a Canadian citizen by her father and we have to go the emergency room for any little thing as we have no doctor and only 2 walk in clinic that require appointment made the same day as care or waiting in line at 6 am hoping that we will be one of the 20 people they see each day. I'm really upset at the whole situation really. So discouraging and scary to not even have basic care.

6/13/2016
Topic:
Received "decision made" ..FINALLY

3yrs&counting
3yrs&counting
It's been 3 years since I moved to Canada and 3 years since I sent off my application for PR. (fully paid)
Dec '13- Sent off application pack
July '14- Package marked as received
July '14- Sponsors portion begins process

No changes at ALL since July '14. Spoke with CIC multiple times until finding out they had part of my app as "outland" and part "inland" got that changed.
No changes on ANYTHING until March '16 when they asked for a medical, because again even though I had one already submitted they only had pieces in the file. Another 200$ gone.
Got that completed and sent in. FINALLY 6 June '16 email stating sponsor portion is done and I am cleared to apply.
9 June '16 decision made on PR email received. States will be contacted to make appt. in Etobicoke

My questions are these: How long before I can expect an appt? Will I be notified vis email or paper mail? Can I just go to the border and do this?

Can I claim "settler" on importing my car and will be absolved of paying import fees and provincial taxes? I will keep a US address with my US plated vehicle and US insurance (my husband is Can. mil so US insure. covers me here) so do I have to Export my vehicle from the US anyway? Or do I even have to import it at all? We may be leaving the country via military orders this time next year (back to a tour in the states)