sl76

all messages by user

3/16/2015
Topic:
Permanent Residency for Spouse

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently working in Seoul. I have been working here for the past 15 years and have gotten married during this time (this year is our 10th anniversary).

My family and I are planning on moving to Toronto later this summer. Both of my sons have their Canadian citizenship cards, but my wife is a Korean citizen. I was hoping to apply for her permanent residency before we left. On the CIC site, it states that I would be able to apply for her permanent residency even though we are both residing outside of Canada at the moment. It also states that I would need to demonstrate that we will live in Canada WHEN she becomes a permanent resident. Does this mean that if we apply for her permanent residency while living outside of Canada, we will not be able to enter Canada before she becomes a permanent resident? In other words, would we be able to apply for her permanent residency now while we're living in Korea, move to Toronto in the summer, and have the process be completed while we're living there?

I know that we can also apply for her permanent residency once we are living in Toronto, but would she be allowed to enter Canada as an immigrant if we plan to apply after landing?

I apologize for the long message, but I haven't been able to get any assistance on our situation. I have asked the embassy but I wasn't able to get any responses that helped. and the CIC site doesn't have information on this kind of situation (or at least, I wasn't able to find it anywhere).

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
3/16/2015
Topic:
Enrolling my Children in School-Where to Register?

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in South Korea. My family and I will be moving to Toronto later this year, so I will need to enroll my sons as soon as we arrive. I'm aware of the documents that are required, but I can't find any information about where or who I need to submit these documents to. I'm emailed one potential school of interest, but I haven't received a response.

Do I simply need to take these documents to the school directly or do I need to visit a service center? We'll be moving back in July so I'm assuming the schools will be closed at that time.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
3/16/2015
Topic:
Applying for Canada Child Tax Benefit

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in Seoul, South Korea. Both of my sons were born here, but they have recieved their Canadian citizenship cards. My wife, however, is a Korean citizen. We'll need to apply for her permanent residency once we arrive (to which I've posted a question in the relevant discussion category). My family and I are planning on moving to Toronto in July.

I've read the site regarding the Child Tax Benefit and I wasn't clear on a few things.

1. I moved to Korea in 2000, right after I graduated from university. Therefore, I have never filed taxes in Canada, only here in Korea. Would I still be able to apply for the Child Tax Benefit when we arrive or will it automatically be assessed once I file taxes next year?

2. It states that the application must be done by the direct caregiver of the kids. Since my wife will need to learn English, I will take care of most things, but she will be the one to stay home to take care of the kids while I work (or eventually find work when we arrive...knock on wood). She also wouldn't have her permanent residency status right away. Would I be able to apply for the Tax Benefit even though I would not be the one staying with them at home?

Thank you...I'm so glad I found this site. It's so hard to get answers to questions.
3/16/2015
Topic:
SIN for Immigrant Spouse

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in Seoul, South Korea, but my family and I will move to Toronto in July. My wife is a Korean citizen, so we will either apply for her permanent residency before or after we move depending on the response to another post I made in a different forum.

In any case, I know that the process for permanent residency may take over a year to complete. However, I also know that everyone in Canada needs to file taxes even if they are not working. On the site, it states that permanent residents can apply for a SIN, but how would my wife apply for a SIN (and file taxes next year for 2015) if she doesn't have her permanent residency status?

Thank you for your time.
3/16/2015
Topic:
OHIP and Private Health Insurance

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I have been living and working in Korea for the past 15 years, but my family and I will be moving to Toronto in July. Both of my sons and I are Canadian citizens but my wife is a Korean citizen. We will apply for her permanent residency once we arrive in Toronto.

From reading some of the other posts in this forum, it seems like there may be some problems with medical insurance.

1. From an earlier post, it seems like my sons and I shouldn't have any issues with getting OHIP after the 3 months from the date that we arrive in Toronto. However, it seems like private insurance companies only provide medical insurance for non-Canadians. Does this mean my sons and I can get any kind of medical insurance until after 3 months from our arrival date?

2. It states that permanent residents are eligible for OHIP as well as those who have applied as long as they provide a confirmation letter or notice from CIC. However, it seems that 1) CIC does not provide any such confirmations, only the final approval and 2) even if such confirmations are provided, it would happen almost a year after applying. Does that mean my wife won't be able to get OHIP for over a year?

Any clarification on our situation would be helpful. Thank you.
3/16/2015
Topic:
Change of Address During Application Process

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in Korea. My family and I will be moving to Toronto late this July. Once we arrive, we'll apply for my wife's permanent residency.

When we first arrive, we will stay with my parents until we can find a place to rent. However, we wanted to apply for her permanent residency as soon as we arrived since it takes a long time to process. Even if we apply after we find out place to rent, we eventually want to buy a place of our own. If that opportunity comes before the application process has been completed, we would have to provide a new address in this case as well.

Is it possible to apply using one address and then provide a new address while the application is being processed? If so, how can we provide this new address?

Thank you!
5/15/2015
Topic:
Shipping Goods

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I've been living in South Korea for the past 15 years but I'm planning on moving back to Canada later this summer.

I realize that I need to prepare a list of items that I will be taking with me as well as those that I plan on shipping.

However, I'm a little unclear as to how specific I need to be.

For example, my children have their toys, soccer balls, badminton rackets, sleds, etc.

Do these need to be listed out individually or can they all be grouped into "Children's toys"?

Also, I'm not sure what value to write down for most of the items I'm planning on taking.

These are all things we use now.

The only resell value would be whatever someone would be willing to pay to buy it.

For example, my desk cost me about $500 dollars when I bought it 8 years ago but now it's not really worth anything.

For items like my desk and others that I wouldn't even be able to sell, would I write $0 as the value or just leave it blank?

Thank you
6/2/2015
Topic:
Exchanging a Foreign Licence

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in South Korea. My family and I are planning on moving to Toronto in July. Both of my sons are Canadian citizens but my wife is a Korean citizen. Due to circumstances, we will need to apply for her permanent residency after we arrive.

I know that licenses from Korea can be exchanged for Ontario licenses, but I was wondering if my wife would be able to exchange hers while we wait for her permanent residency status. Is there a certain visa that she could get while waiting for her PR that would allow her to exchange her license?

Thank you
6/2/2015
Topic:
Applying for PR while on Tourist Visa

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I will be moving to Toronto with my family later this summer. My wife is not a Canadian citizen so we will apply for her permanent residency after we arrive in Toronto which means she will be on a tourist visa (the regular stamp in the passport).

Will we be able to apply for her permanent residency while she is on a tourist visa? On the CIC site, it says, "Spouses and common law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply for permanent resident status are required to have legal immigration status in order to qualify under the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class." Does a tourist visa count as "legal immigration status"?

Thank you in advance.
6/3/2015
Topic:
Translation of Documents

sl76
sl76
Hi,

I'm planning on applying for my wife's PR status once we move from Korea to Toronto later this summer. For any necessary documents that are not in English or French, will notarized translations from Korea be accepted or will the documents need to be translated in Canada?

Thank you again!

6/3/2015
Topic:
No Birth Certificate

sl76
sl76
Hello,

I apologize for posting so many questions. It's just that all of this is so confusing :(

It's seems like one of the documents that need to be submitted is a birth cerificate. My wife (the principal applicant) was born at home so she doesn't have an official birth certificate. Would her passport be enough as proof of birthdate and if so, how can I explain this in the application?

Thank you again
6/3/2015
Topic:
No Appeal When Applying within Canada?

sl76
sl76
Hello,

This is my last question (for today)...

My wife (and I) will be applying for her PR after she lands in Canada. On the CIC site under "applying in Canada" it says that you can't use the forms if you "intend to appeal if the application is refused." Does that mean that there is no way to appeal if my wife's application is denied? We have been married for almost 10 years (10th anniversary is this September) and we have two sons together. I will need to appeal if her application is denied so that my family can stay together. The site provides a link for those who "cannot" use the forms for applying in Canada which leads to forms for applying OUTSIDE of Canada. But we both will be IN Canada when we apply.

I realize that CIC needs to be careful about who receives PR, but a lot of this is very confusing. I simply want to return to Canada with my wife and sons so any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for providing this forum.
6/3/2015
Topic:
Shipping Goods

sl76
sl76
My wife doesn't have very expensive jewelry (she doesn't believe in spending a lot of money on things like that...thank goodness). Will it be okay to simply write "jewelry" and put an estimated value on all of it? I would assume by the amount, they can tell that we aren't bringing expensive jewelry. I wouldn't think a jewerly appraisal would be necessary for cheap jewelry or very old jewelry.
1/19/2016
Topic:
What is the process time for inland sponsorship?

sl76
sl76
Hello,

My wife came to Canada in July 2015 and we applied for her PR status in Toronto. Based on CIC's website, it seems that it will take just over 2 years for the process to be completed. However, I read that the Liberal government announced that family sponsorships would be processed faster than they used to be under the Harper administration, so I was wondering if that included applications made inside Canada and if so, what the expected wait time might be.

Thank you for your time.
1/13/2020
Topic:
Change of Address After Receiving PR Status

sl76
sl76
I've had my PR status for 3 years. I'm about to move in 3 weeks and I went to the IRCC website to see how I can update my address, but there is only information about how to change your address if you're submitted an application. Are permanent residents required to notify IRCC when they move? If so, how can I do so?

Thank you