mzansi

all messages by user

6/6/2015
Topic:
Landing Questions

mzansi
mzansi
Dear All,

I will be landing in Canada as a PR later this year. My PR is through the Family Class sponsorship and has arrived much quicker than anticipated, making us re-adjust our plans.

My spouse and daughter are Canadian citizens. Do they all need to come with me for my landing or can I do it myself? Our daughter is still a baby and it would be an unnecessary hardship for her to take a transatlantic flight..

I plan to land, spend a week or so setting up a bank account, transferring our funds, obtaining a SIN card etc. and then heading back. As far as I know, spending time abroad with my Canadian spouse counts towards my PR status. We hope to slowly relocate to Canada, i.e. have frequent visits until we can find a decent property to purchase in TO as well as decent job for myself through the contacts/networks I plan to establish. Do I tell the landing authorities about this?

Basically:
a.) will there be a problem if I land by myself or only with my spouse, while our daughter stays behind with her nanny?

b.) will my PR residency be OK since I live with my Canadian wife abroad?

c.) are there any other must-haves you would suggest apart from opening a bank account and obtaining SIN number?

d.) do I inform the landing authorities about our plan? are there any documents they may request to see once I land apart from my passport/COPR?

Thanks in advance
6/7/2015
Topic:
Landing Questions

mzansi
mzansi
Thank you so very much. I know that the hard part of the procedure is behind us but I am still worried over the fact that we plan to move 'slowly', i.e. once we get everything ready in Canada. We just want to ensure that we use the time to secure work in Canada in our professions (me at least, the spouse should be fine) so that we can avoid one of those endless cycles of volunteering/part-time work that so many new arrivals experience.

Will the border officers ask about my return ticket and how I plan to pick up my PR card?

As for the personal effects forms, since my initial visit will be short and my final move in the future, what happens if I update my equipments (laptops etc.) and they are not on the original forms? Can I bring the forms with me later or are they mandatory right now?

Thanks again.
6/8/2015
Topic:
Advice on Social Science Jobs - Ontario

mzansi
mzansi
Dear All,

I was recently sponsored for a Canadian PR by my Canadian spouse and we are beginning to operationalize our plan to move there.

I have more than a decade of work experience in international think tanks and multinational organizations (OSCE, UN etc.).

I have worked on conflict prevention, mediation, political affairs and human rights issues.

Are there any good resources for finding similar work in Canada?

Government jobs are a major prize but they require citizenship in order to obtain security clearances.

Has anyone had any experience finding work with similar background?

Our preferred destination is Ontario as I guess the majority of institutions, NGO's and the like are based in Ottawa and Toronto.

Also, when it comes to degrees in Social Science - do they need to undergo the credentialing process through CICIC?

I haven't seen any regulatory bodies for such degrees and they come from recognized universities in South Africa, the United Kingdom and the US.

Anyone had any experience requiring nostrification (for jobs, not continuing education purposes)?

Finally, I've heard a lot about Canadian experience - given the nature of work I am involved in and my experience at an international level, would it play a major factor?

International organizations are disciplined and multicultural settings and standards for analytical reports and research are second to none.

Would this experience be seen as a positive or would employers focus more on the lack of Canadian work experience?

Has anyone in this field of work benefited from organizations such as Career Edge?

I would appreciate any feedback on these issues, particularly from people with a similar education/professional background.

While we plan to make Canada our permanent home, we do want to ensure that I can secure a decent job in a field that I can contribute it.

Thanks in advance
6/12/2015
Topic:
Advice on Social Science Jobs - Ontario

mzansi
mzansi
Advice on jobs in sectors like public administration also welcome. Any story of how people with degrees in humanities managed in Canada really appreciated.
11/17/2015
Topic:
Buying Condo and SIN

mzansi
mzansi
Hi,

Just a quick question from a recent landed PR - do I need to provide my SIN when buying a Condo? An agent is asking for it as proof of ID. Just sounds a bit odd.

Best