Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

dsiraj

all messages by user

7/30/2015
Topic:
What is important to do for a short landing?

dsiraj
dsiraj
My wife & I are going to short land in Toronto for 1 week and then come back to finalize our stuff before landing in Canada for good. Now, I have the following queries and I really appreciate it if someone can help me out:

1) I'm going to give the officer my friend's address in Toronto for my PR card to be mailed there but I hear if I inform the officer that I'm staying for a week or two only, chances are he won't mail the PR card. How true is this? If this is the case, then do u suggest I plan a longer stay period even if it's not necessary?

2) What can I do during this one week in Canada which might save me time later on (opening a bank account, obtaining SIN number, OHIP, driving license, etc.).

3) What's the least amount of fund we have to have with us for landing in Canada? Obviously, for amounts exceeding 10,000 CAD for each individual, one has to declare, but is there a minimum requirement? Some people say you have to have with you no less than $14,853 for two people as you initially declared on your proof of fund. Is that right?! The reason I'm asking this is that we obviously don't need a large sum of money for a one week stay in Canada and as such we are not willing to carry a huge amount of money with us and risk losing money on currency exchange rate when we get back home and exchange them for local currency.

5) Any other points/precautions I should take heed of?

Looking forward to your kind responses