all messages by user

8/10/2017
Topic:
eTA Problem - Dutch Citizen

Pollie
Pollie
Hello,
I hope you can help with my query.

My step-mother was due to fly from Surinam to Canada via Trinidad on August 8, 2017, with my father.

But since she is a Dutch citizen (my father holds Canadian citizenship), she had to complete an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

When she did this, she received the response that the eTA could not be granted because the system showed she was a Canadian citizen. She is most certainly not, and therefore does not have a Canadian passport.

Many years ago she lived in Canada (from the 1970s until about 1995), and she has a Canadian SIN and a driver's license.

She was considered a landed immigrant, and left before Permanent Resident cards began to be issued, so she has never held one.

Since then she has traveled to Canada many times without an issue. This time she was able to come as far as Trinidad, but is stuck there, and has lost the flight she paid for, and has been unable to speak to anyone who can help her with her situation.

My father and I have also tried to speak to officials on our end here in Canada, but all our efforts have been futile, and we have just been sent around the loop of recorded messages at IRCC. I hope you can offer some advice. I have been reading about all kinds of problems with eTAs.

I am wondering if it might be possible for her to fly to the US and enter the country by land using her Dutch passport (the only one she has ever held).

But I am also worried that the system will deem her a permanent resident once she arrives at the Canada-US border, even though she has never had a card. If so, can she still enter the country that way using her Dutch passport?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
8/14/2017
Topic:

Pollie
Pollie
Thanks for your response, we will keep trying to sort things out. I appreciate you taking the time.
8/15/2017
Topic:

Pollie
Pollie
Hi, thanks for responding. We have now had a second response from IRCC and they are still insisting she is a Canadian citizen. So the problem goes deep and will be difficult to untangle, more than just a matter of renouncing PR status. She is certainly not a citizen and never applied for citizenship. Thanks to those who have taken the time to weigh in. I guess our only option is to continue to attempt communication with IRCC and convince them that a mistake has been made.