Lost password

Tabby

all messages by user

12/21/2017
Topic:
Landlords Lying About Property Type?

Tabby
Tabby
I'm curious to hear from landlords on this matter.

My husband and I are looking to rent a detached, single family home.

We've been looking for months, unfortunately our city has been flooded with pretty unrealistic rentals (asking the same rent price for a disheveled 80 year old bungalow as a mansion three blocks away).

It's been a struggle to say the least, but perhaps the most irritating experience has been landlords flat out lying about their rentals.

We have been lured in under the pretense that we're viewing a house rental, but when we come for the viewing the bomb is dropped that only part of the house is for rent and someone(s) is living in the attic, basement, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a duplex is an apartment rental inside a converted house not a "house rental".

Why are landlords lying about or withholding this information?

Coming out for a viewing and being told this information - often right at the end of the viewing - seems dreadfully dishonest.

It certainly doesn't give me a good impression of the landlords (but at least now I know who to avoid).

And in case you're wondering it's roughly one out of every five rentals making these claims.

What are landlords hoping to gain by behaving this way?

Wouldn't it be better to state outright that the building is a duplex/triplex or semi?