pevgeny

all messages by user

7/15/2018
Topic:
PR Status Question - Not Met Residency Requirement

pevgeny
pevgeny
Hello,

I am Canadian citizen and my elderly mom is permanent resident.

She has to renew her PR card by April 2019 and we have the following situation here:

She fails the requirement test of living 2 years of last 5 years in Canada, she did passed it the prior 5 years tough.

The problem is that she was planning the last 2 years moving permanently to live in Canada, but her health situation was problematic and she undergo 2 surgeries on her eyes and as under medical supervision that required her staying in her 1-st citizenship country abroad.

Also, my personal financial and medical family situation got worse and I had a hardship sponsoring her presence in Canada but she was able to live abroad of social help she entitles from that country.

We don't want her loosing the permanent residence because of the 2 years presence problem, she suppose to fly in in October to Toronto.

What should we do?

1) The border immigration officer will see at the POE that she is failing the 2 years presence out of 5 years .

2) Should we still file the PR renewal although it is obvious she wasn't here 2 out of 5 years?

3) Can she let PR expire in 2019 and just stay 2 years in Canada without living and than to ask for PR renewal?

Appreciate any feedback!