aph353

all messages by user

4/1/2019
Topic:
PR Status: Returning to Canada after 2 Years in UK

aph353
aph353
Hi,

I obtained Permanent Residence and landed in Canada on 4th February 2010 and have lived and worked in Canada during this time.

In 1st November 2017, I returned to the UK to Scotland for personal reasons. I intend to return to Canada in February 2020.

After the initial 5 years in Canada, I renewed my PR Card in April 2015 and it is due for renewal in April 2020. I intend to return to Canada before my PR Card expires.

I believe with PR Status you need to be physically resident in Canada for 2 years (730 days) out of the most recent 5 year period (1825 days) in order to meet the Residency obligations.

And can live up to 3 years (1095 days) outside of Canada in the most recent 5 year period.

On my calculations of deducting all my lists of absences from the most recent 5 year period on my date of return of 4th February 2020.

I would have been away from Canada for a total of 930 days.

So I subtract 930 days from 1825 days.

This gives me 895 days of physical presence living inside Canada out of that 5 year period. Therefore I am meeting the residency obligations.

Am I calculating this correctly? I also used CIC's physical presence calculator.

I checked on the CIC website and I could not find anything about notifying them of being away for an extended period of time. They simply state to be aware of meeting the residency obligations.

Should I contact them to let them know of my intentions?

Also, what should I bring to Canada in case they question my length of being outside of Canada? I have financial assets of an RRSP that is locked until my retirement date. Can this be used to show the intentions of Canada being my permanent home?

Since I have been outside of Canada for more than 6 months should I get a police certificate and bring it with me before I return to Canada?

Thanks.
4/1/2019
Topic:
PR Status: Returning to Canada after 2 Years in UK

aph353
aph353
Hi,

I obtained Permanent Residence and landed in Canada on 4th February 2010 and have lived and worked in Canada during this time.

In 1st November 2017, I returned to the UK to Scotland for personal reasons. I intend to return to Canada in February 2020.

After the initial 5 years in Canada, I renewed my PR Card in April 2015 and it is due for renewal in April 2020. I intend to return to Canada before my PR Card expires.

I believe with PR Status you need to be physically resident in Canada for 2 years (730 days) out of the most recent 5 year period (1825 days) in order to meet the Residency obligations.

And can live up to 3 years (1095 days) outside of Canada in the most recent 5 year period.

On my calculations of deducting all my lists of absences from the most recent 5 year period on my date of return of 4th February 2020.

I would have been away from Canada for a total of 930 days.

So I subtract 930 days from 1825 days.

This gives me 895 days of physical presence living inside Canada out of that 5 year period. Therefore I am meeting the residency obligations.

Am I calculating this correctly? I also used CIC's physical presence calculator.

I checked on the CIC website and I could not find anything about notifying them of being away for an extended period of time. They simply state to be aware of meeting the residency obligations.

Should I contact them to let them know of my intentions?

Also, what should I bring to Canada in case they question my length of being outside of Canada? I have financial assets of an RRSP that is locked until my retirement date. Can this be used to show the intentions of Canada being my permanent home?

Since I have been outside of Canada for more than 6 months should I get a police certificate and bring it with me before I return to Canada?

Thanks.