Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

odco

all messages by user

1/6/2020
Topic:
How to calculate days for PRTD application?

odco
odco
Hi all,

I have a question about how to calculate the "Total number of days" on the application for a PRTD (IMM 5524 - Q16).

I am a PR, currently living abroad with my Canadian spouse. My spouse got employment abroad and we have been living outside of Canada for about 5 years now and are planning a short trip back to Canada soon. I will be applying for a PRTD since my PR card is expired, and I understand that days spent abroad accompanying a Canadian spouse count towards maintaining residence, but what's unclear to me is if this means only days where both myself and my spouse where physically in the same place?

For example, in 2019, both myself and my spouse took solo trips out of the country we're currently living in (independently, for work/family reasons). Should I be subtracting those days from the calculation for "Total number of days" or can I put 365 days for 2019 because we're both ordinarily residing in the same country? Similarly, can I count days we've been travelling to a third country (e.g. holiday) together?

I'm a bit confused as how to lay down all the information on the form...

Any and all help much appreciated!

Cheers,

O.