Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

e2e5

all messages by user

3/3/2021
Topic:
could I be paying rent late without knowing it?

e2e5
e2e5
I have always paid rent near the end of the month or on the first for 5 years.

Today, I paid rent a few days late and got a strongly worded message from my landlord claiming that I've been paying it late for a while now and that I should see the contract.

I know that he would prefer me gone as I am getting a really good deal on the place so I'm taking this seriously.

Basically, the contract says that the rent should be paid by 5pm on the first. I had forgotten the 5pm bit. I have no idea how many times I paid it later than at 5pm but still on the first. It also says "paid" by that time and given that I pay using e-transfers the process may not complete till hours or a day later.

I am aware that, in Ontario, eviction is possible on the grounds of consistently late rent payment.

My question is - if I my rent turns out to indeed have been consistently late by the definition given in the contract but I was never notified about it and thus never knew that there was a problem at all - as I was taking the agreement in a a more general, "it's the first of the month, I should pay rent sometime today" kind of way - would my landlord have a case to evict me?
2/1/2023
Topic:
Major repair & temporarily moving out

e2e5
e2e5
Hello,

I live in a basement apartment and there are signs that there may be mold behind my bathroom walls. I know this because the landlord sent an environmental company to take a look at it after a more basic handiman opened up the walls and suspected something. The guy from the company said that there probably is mold and it's a 1-3 day job to strip the walls and clean it all out.

Some days later my landlord called me and said that from his further discussions with said company it was revealed that there may also be problems with the joists (I think that was the word...) deep inside the wall. If that's the case, it's a 2 month repair and I'll have to temporarily move out for that time.

Obviously, we can't tell if that deeper repair will be necessary or not until we open up the walls further - but my landlord is suggesting that we can't go back if we go that far.

I don't really trust my landlord as we don't have the sweetest of relationships.

So, my questions are:

- do I have the right to push this repair a few months into the future to such a time when it is more convenient for me? If this happens, can I ask him to temporarily seal up that wall (it still has holes now from the other work that's recently been done though they are covered with plastic)
- if I do have to move out for the 2 months, is it important that I keep sending rent for that time and use a form to try to get it re-imbursed later so he has no possible case to try to turn this into an eviction? (as opposed to not paying while I am not living there)
- is there anything else that I should know / that you would suggest in a situation like this?

Thanks.