Lost password

gigi1e

all messages by user

8/26/2020
Topic:
Question regarding an American married to Canadian

gigi1e
gigi1e
Hi All, just joined this discussion forum, not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, so if I'm in the wrong place, or if there is a better thread to post this to, would you mind letting me know? Thanks.
Anyway, we had a question regarding an American married to a Canadian: Does an American married to a Canadian get any benefits or privileges before applying to be sponsored by their spouse? meaning, in the US for example, by being married to an American, even before sponsorship, the foreign spouse can have access to some benefits even before being sponsored (for example, access to the spouse health insurance, access to the social security benefit etc.) so we wanted to ask if that is the case in Canada too?
Do they get anything or will they get privileges only after sponsorship starts? (Right now the American spouse is still in visitor status)
Thanks for your assistance
Stay Safe
8/28/2020
Topic:
Question regarding an American married to Canadian

gigi1e
gigi1e
Thanks for the reply PMM.

We're in ON., will they allow for OHIP coverage before PR status if in-Canada application?
And lastly, is there a preference for either out-of-Canada or in-Canada application? meaning, is one easier or faster than the other, same limitations, or are they basically the same?
Thanks again.
Stay safe

PMM wrote:
Hi

gigi1e wrote:
Hi All, just joined this discussion forum, not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, so if I'm in the wrong place, or if there is a better thread to post this to, would you mind letting me know? Thanks.
Anyway, we had a question regarding an American married to a Canadian: Does an American married to a Canadian get any benefits or privileges before applying to be sponsored by their spouse? meaning, in the US for example, by being married to an American, even before sponsorship, the foreign spouse can have access to some benefits even before being sponsored (for example, access to the spouse health insurance, access to the social security benefit etc.) so we wanted to ask if that is the case in Canada too?
Do they get anything or will they get privileges only after sponsorship starts? (Right now the American spouse is still in visitor status)
Thanks for your assistance

Stay Safe

1. No, no access to benefit just by being married.

2. Once the sponsorship is submitted, (if outside Canada) you won't be eligible for anything until you "land" If the application is an "in Canada spousal" then you submit an application for an open work permit with it. Takes about 4 months for the work permit to be issued. Some provinces may allow you to apply for their medical services plan, most others won't until you are Permanent Resident.