Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Rto

all messages by user

1/19/2021
Topic:
Can I have an In-Unit Portable Washing Machine?

Rto
Rto
My partner and I have a daughter and a second baby on the way. We use cloth diapers. Before we moved in, we read our tenancy agreement carefully and nowhere does it mention additional appliances being prohibited.

Because we wanted to cloth diaper, we purchased an in-unit, portable washing machine for three reasons:

1) it’s easier for us to do our laundry in the kitchen than to drag it down two flights of stairs;
2) the portable machine is both eco- and financially-more friendly than the industrial machines downstairs (a difference of about 25 gallons of water per use); and
3) because while we are more than willing to wash the “waste” out of our own machine, that is not something we will be doing in an industrial washing machine used by the whole building (our building has 2 machines for approximately 25 tenants).

Today we were told that it was Ontario law that these machines not be permitted in apartment complexes but I can’t seem to verify that anywhere. In the morning I will call the LTB but thought I’d post here in the meantime.

Thanks,
Ryan
3/3/2021
Topic:
Issues with Landlord and "Registration Forms"

Rto
Rto
Good afternoon,

I have a few questions about some Registration Forms that were just given to us today. The first is a Parking Registration Form and the second is a "Pet Registration Form". Before I start, we've been renting our unit for 2 years now and are no longer on a lease, but instead a month-to-month agreement. Our monthly rent amount is $875.00.

Form 1: Parking Registration Form

This form asks us for a Permit Number (our building has never had permits) and asks us to "accept the following terms" (I'm only including the ones that are of concern and I'm not sure are legal/allowed):

- All vehicles must be parked in their assigned spots at all times and clearly displaying a valid Parking Permit: We do not have parking permits nor are our spaces numbered or designated in any way.

- All vehicles must display up to date insurance, plates, and tags: This was nowhere in our lease; can it be retroactively put in place?

- Vehicles in a fvisible state of disrepair cannot be parked at the building, even if displaying a valid permit: Again, nowhere in the lease; can it be retroactively put in?

Form 2: Pet Registration Form

This entire form feels all sorts of illegal, but wanted to verify this here before contacting my landlord. This form asks us to register our pets with the landlord and asks us to "agree to the following conditions" (Please read these because they seem ... ludicrous?):

- The pet will be strictly confined to the suite and will not be allowed on the patio/balcony: Our unit has a balcony... is the landlord actually allowed to restrict our pets from being on the balcony?

- At no time will the tenant bring any other pet onto the property without the prior knowledge and written consent of the Landlord: Does this not violate the RTA?

- In the event of the pet's death, the tenant will not replace it with another pet unless given written permission by the Landlord: Does this not violate the RTA?

- At the end of the tenancy, the tenant will reimburse the Landlord for the cost of having a professional pest control spray the suite for fleas

- The landlord may at any time withdraw permission to keep a pet on the premises if a complaint is received from another tenant concerning the pet or if this arrangement becomes unsatisfactory for any reason

- A pet damage deposit in the amount of hone-half month's rent is required before consent will be given to allow any pets living in the unit.

Thanks for any responses in advance. The major concern for us is the Pet Registration Form which we feel is just ridiculous, especially considering they want us to pay half of a month's rent to keep a dog we already have.
3/3/2021
Topic:
Can I have an In-Unit Portable Washing Machine?

Rto
Rto
Moderator wrote:
Hi there Ryan,

I apologize for the belated response. We understand why you would be concerned about this situation.

We hope the Landlord and Tenant Board were able to help you navigate this problem.

In case it is helpful, the Landlord Self-Help Centre has addressed a similar question, Can a landlord obligate his tenant to NOT have a washer/dryer in the rental unit? If the tenants signed an agreement (in the lease) to not posses a washer/dryer, is that agreement enforceable?

Here is an excerpt of their response:
This is one of those issues that is difficult to enforce even if it is stated in the lease agreement. If they do bring in a washer/dryer, there isn’t much that can be done unless it’s actually causing damage to the property or causing a plumbing or electrical problem, in which case the N5 Form could be served

If this is an issue that persists between you and your landlord, we suggest you find legal help at a community legal clinic. Steps to Justice has a resource page on getting legal help in housing law. This referral list includes many free to low-cost options for legal services.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow-up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Sorry for MY belated response to your response. Thank you so much - we had figured this info out after a few weeks of back and forth with some folks in the LTB. I still appreciate your answer!