lhunath

all messages by user

4/22/2021
Topic:
Water Heater Charges

lhunath
lhunath
Hi,

I've recently moved from Quebec to Ontario and found my landlord here insists that I'm responsible for the rental fees for the water heater that he's installed in my residence. I'm a little at a loss as to what the basis for this obligation is, as far as I understand, the water heater rental fee covers the provisioning of hot water as well as the maintenance fees for the water heater, and both hot water as well as repairs are things that lie squarely in the domain of things that a landlord is responsible for.

In addition, it seems very peculiar that my landlord has engaged in a rental contract with a company and is now demanding that I maintain and pay for the account. What authority does he have to force me to do such a thing?

Of course, it's true that my rental contract makes mention of the fact that "Hot Water-Tank Rental" is something that the tenant will pay for, and it is also true that I signed this contract; and by doing so, have likely agreed to those terms.

Do I have any recourse? Can a landlord pass on his own responsibilities onto the tenant by placing them in the lease? If I decide to cancel my water heater rental account, then what? I have no hot water and that's now my responsibility to fix?

It seems this is quite common here in Ontario, and I just don't understand it.