Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Chum

all messages by user

5/24/2021
Topic:
Can I land in one city and live in another?

Chum
Chum
Hi.

My family applied under the Quebec Investor immigration and have been approved and currently have just got our requests for medicals to be done.

I would like to land at Toronto Pearson Airport (we get special privileges along with extra weight if flying by EVA Air which does not go to Montreal) and after quarantine, we would like to drive over to Montreal for complete the formalities like getting our SIN card etc. Is this possible? I also will be traveling with a pet cat and would like to leave Whiskers with friends in Toronto before moving on to Montreal. We do intend to reside in Quebec eventually just that initially we would like to land at Toronto.

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated.
7/25/2022
Topic:
English Public Elementary & Secondary Enrollment

Chum
Chum
Hi.

We will be landing in October 2022 in Quebec and would like to get my 12 year old daughter admitted to a school.

• What documents are required to get her admitted?
• As I am not very comfortable with the current Covid situation, I prefer for her to do an online school for a year till the situation improves. Is it possible to get an online school anywhere in Canada for 7th grade?

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

God bless!
Paul.
7/25/2022
Topic:
New Permanent Resident and taxes

Chum
Chum
Our family has been approved under the Quebec Investor immigration and have received the COPR which expires in November 2022.

We plan to land in Montreal in October 2022 and stay there for a month to complete the documents (SIN card, PR etc) and them come back to our tax residency country (Thailand) to wind down. We plan to make the eventual move mid 2023 to settle down in Montreal. The address in Canada to send the PR card will be my sister’s address in Toronto so she can sent it across to me once she gets it.

My question pertains to if we are liable to Canadian tax as a new PR for the year 2022/2023? We do NOT plan to purchase/rent a house till the eventual move next year in 2023 and will just live in an AIRBNB. I would like to open a bank account to facilitate finances in future but it is not necessary if the bank account means we will have a connection to Canada. We would like to delay being a Canadian tax resident till our eventual move in 2023.

I thank you in advance for any guidance that you could provide to this question.