Lost password

cmajor

all messages by user

6/29/2021
Topic:
Minor returning to Toronto alone applying for OHIP

cmajor
cmajor
Hi there! My Canadian kid will return to Toronto this summer and will live with his uncle (also a citizen living in Toronto for decades), while his parents are still abroad. He will apply for OHIP for the first time. I've heard that during the pandemic situation, the three-month waiting period has been waived for returning Canadian citizens. However, we are puzzled about the proof of residency in Ontario because our kid, turning 16 after summer, is currently studying abroad and therefore can't provide any report card from a high school in Toronto. Could you give us some advice on this? Thanks.
7/16/2021
Topic:
Minor returning to Toronto alone applying for OHIP

cmajor
cmajor
Thank you for your reply, with the inclusion of two more additional documents, i.e. phone bill and bank statement. However, I have checked that minors under 18 of age cannot enter into a service with telecommunication operators, so in my son's case, he can only have his telephone SIM card issued under his uncle's account, which means the phone bill only bears the uncle's name but not my son's.

For the bank statement, my son needs to first visit a bank in person with his uncle for opening an account, and then wait for the first bank statement. This would take one to two months. Without the bank statement (as the address proof), my son cannot apply for the health card during this one-to-two months period. Do you have any other suggestions/recommendations so that my son can get the health card earlier? I just wonder what if he suffers from any disease in the waiting period and we need to bear the high hospital charges in the absence of the health card. Thank you.

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

There are a few ways your son can show proof of residence. You may find helpful information in our Settlement.Org What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? article.

Here is an excerpt:
Proof of Residency

A document that has your name and current home address. This document confirms that your principal home is in Ontario.

• Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

If he chooses to use a cell phone or open a bank account, a phone bill or bank statement will work as acceptable proofs of residence. We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/5/2023
Topic:
Sponsoring spouse with chronic Hepatitis B (CHB)

cmajor
cmajor
Hey there!

Is it possible that IRCC would approve my sponsorship of my spouse? Or any conditions that my family has to meet?

Some more information:

1. I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada with my non-Canadian partner.
2. I have no income while my non-Canadian partner is the breadmaker who has CHB.
3. We were officially married for two decades with a Canadian child who will turn 18 and go to uni in Canada in coming fall.
4. We plan to move back to Canada for good within 1 to 3 years.

Grateful for the valuable advice, thanks.
8/1/2023
Topic:
Sponsoring spouse with chronic Hepatitis B (CHB)

cmajor
cmajor
Thank you for your response.

Separately, I have found the following information on the reasons that one may be inadmissible to Canada:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html

Fortunately, there are exceptions to this as copied below:

Medical inadmissibility rules for excessive demand reasons don’t apply to:

This has eased my worries. Thanks to the information posted on Canadian Government's official website :-)

Moderator wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We hope that others can share their suggestions with you.

You can find some detailed information regarding the requirements for sponsorship in our Settlement.Org How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada? article. For advice specific to your situation, you may want to speak to a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer. You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? regarding this process. You can connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search, 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team