Lost password

evanrmartin

all messages by user

11/16/2021
Topic:
Postponing required entry date

evanrmartin
evanrmartin
My wife and I live outside of Canada, and we have applied for PR via spousal sponsorship. If she were to give birth a couple of months before her PR application is approved, how could we manage the required entry date for PR and the 12 month+ processing time for proof of Canadian citizenship to get our child born abroad a passport? Could the entry date for PR be postponed, and would PR entry requirements qualify us for urgent processing of proof of citizenship so we could travel to Canada as a family in the required time frame?

Thank you.
12/13/2021
Topic:

evanrmartin
evanrmartin
Thank you for your reply.

I am a Canadian citizen and was born in Canada, so our children will be Canadian citizens at birth. However, before they can get passports to go to Canada they need to receive proof of Canadian citizenship. This takes 15 months according to the the CIC website, and I was concerned this may not be completed before my wife's COPR validity is up. In that situation, as you do not recommend landing outside of the COPR's 12 month window, there is a chance my wife would have to enter Canada alone while I wait for our children's proof of citizenship and passports.

I will contact an immigration lawyer about applying for urgent processing time for proof of citizenship to match my wife's COPR validity when she gives birth. I will also be sure to inform the CIC of the change to my wife's PR application when she gives birth.

Thank you.
12/14/2021
Topic:

evanrmartin
evanrmartin
Thank you very much. I was not aware of the limited validity passport, but it seems most suitable for our situation.

Our child will only be eligible for a Canadian passport (as we live in Japan but are not Japanese citizens) so a facilitation visa would not be possible.