Lost password

DWLEWINGTON

all messages by user

2/24/2022
Topic:
Problems with my Ontario Works Caseworker

DWLEWINGTON
DWLEWINGTON
The purpose of this post is to clarify and establish my rights as a tenant faced with a somewhat distressing and troubling current situation.
I'll try be be clear in describing the particulars.

On New Years eve a fire broke out at a structure neighbouring my rental unit. The fire was located in a commercial business (shop).
The same landlord owns this establishment as well as the building where my apartment is located.
The source of the fire was proven to be an electrical fault In the business itself.

Fortunately I was at home at the time noticed the smoke and promptly called 911. The FD arrived, at that point smoke was thick but few flames.
However my apartment living room was next to the source but separated by a brick firewall. Still the Firefighters entered my apartment to check the extent of any fire, just a great deal of smoke. A front window in my apartment was smashed out to evacuate smoke with the firefighters proceeding to pull down ceiling and wall drywall in the living room area to check for any flame spread, there was none. In this process various items were damaged some seriously which i shall have to replace.
Needless to say I was required to find accommodation at a friends house that night and have been out of my apartment since staying with friends.
I did not have tenants insurance so the burden is mine to date.

The insurers were soon called in with their recommendation was for a complete restoration of the interior surfaces which required me to hire, move, and store monthly the contents of the apartment. There was also severe damage to the flat roof above my unit partially due to FD access.
No hose water entered the unit. So a thorough renovation process wasiniticated to strip all ceiling and wall drywall and some wood flooring.
Regardless I have been made essentially 'homeless' staying at acquaintances with few personal items and clothing.
I am currently preparing to move again to a temporary accommodation till restoration work is complete.
With this being an Ontario winter the question is when to replace the compromised roof and front window. I have yet to see any scope of work or timeline schedule.

What are my rights if any as a tenant and is there any compensation for my out of apartment stay or damages?
As I see it, an accidental fire in an adjoining building (same landlord) has forced me out due to extreme smoke damage.
Restoration work has commenced but due to the need to replace a roof structure in winter will require my absence.
To date I have paid for moving and monthly storage as well as temporary rental until allowed back.