Lost password

newmguy

all messages by user

5/26/2022
Topic:
last month rent reimbursment

newmguy
newmguy
I have a person that moved in my property without my knowledge or approval (no lease) to help his elderly mother (mother was my tenant) who was ill.

The tenant (elderly mother) is now deceased. She never payed first and last when she moved in decades ago, no lease, it was a month to month agreement. The tenant's son stayed in the residence after the mother passed away and would not leave after being asked to leave for over 2 years. He had every excuse under the sun, like due to covid, there are no places available for rent, and many other excuses. Basically he wanted to stay on the premises because the rent was very low for the elderly mother to be able to afford it.

Now the tenant wants to leave but is asking for last month's rent from the original tenant (his mother) with interest.

Firstly there was never a last month rent taken. There is no receipt because it was never accepted.
Secondly, can a tenant who has no legal agreement with the landlord demand last month rent from another tenant even if it is his mother?

Again the last month rent was never accepted (it was done this way in order to help the elderly mother who was on pension at the time)

I suspect this is another deceitful tactic in order to obtain free money or he won't leave the premises.