Ksingh5

all messages by user

8/10/2022
Topic:
Entering Canada through USA with expired PR Card

Ksingh5
Ksingh5
Hello,
I have a Canadian PR card that expired in 2016. I obtained my PR card through my father who had the intention to migrate to Canada. In August 2011, my entire family including myself moved to Vancouver, Canada in the hope starting a new life there. After we reached Vancouver, Canada, my father tried very hard to look for a job. However, he could not find a job in Canada. I was unable to fulfil the residency requirements for a Canadian permanent resident because my father had to return to our home country soon after. My paternal grandmother had fallen very ill and required immediate care and attention, thus resulting in me having to follow my father and the rest of my family back. My status as a minor and having to follow my father back prevented me from fulfilling the residency requirements.
I continued my primary and secondary school education back home and pursued my tertiary education at Ohio State University, Ohio, USA. I recently completed my Bachelor's degree in May'22.
I was not aware until recently that even though I do not fulfill the Canadian Residency Requirements, I can still return to Canada. I am currently still in the USA under the F1 student Visa. I want to express my keen desire to re-establish my Canadian permanent residency status.
Considering I have an expired Canadian Permanent Resident Card(expired in 2016), I would like to understand the best way to return to Canada. I would like to seek your help with clarifying the following questions.
1) Considering I was minor when I got the Canadian Permanent Residency, and that I had to return with my family due to my Grandmother’s ill health and while I do not meet the minimum residency requirement, is there a possibility for me to return to Canada now ? I am currently 21yrs old.
If yes, what is the process and approvals (if any) that I need to follow and obtain to return to Canada ?
2) Since I am currently located in USA, is there any special circumstance where I can return to Canada with an expired Canadian Permanent Resident Card without a PRTD?
3) Is it possible to enter Canada through the USA land border crossing with my expired Canadian Permanent Resident Card ?
4) What is the likely hood that I would be denied entry to Canada from the USA land border with an expired PR card ?