TiredOfNotSleeping

all messages by user

10/22/2022
Topic:
Short Term Rental Guests Constantly Causing Issues

TiredOfNotSleeping
TiredOfNotSleeping
Hi all,

I recently moved into a house that is 4 stories split into 3 apartments (basement, main floor, top 2 levels). The bottom two levels are being rented as long-term rentals, while the top two levels are being rented as a short term AirBnB rental.

Because this is a house, the floors/ceilings and walls are very thin. I am constantly losing sleep due to guests having parties and being extremely noisy above me. The landlord has agreed to notify the guests that they cannot make noise after legal noise cutoffs are allowed. However, there are new guests constantly cycling in and out of the unit, so they often don't care about abiding by these notices. I am constantly needing to go confront guests myself after they wake me up when they come in to the unit at random times at night (the entrance to the upper unit is also right beside my bedroom, so I often get woken up by intoxicated guests stomping in, yelling, and sometimes playing music whenever they return from late night partying). The landlord has offered to let me notify them when this issue is happening so that they may contact the guests, but most of the time the guests are either not responding to or are intentionally ignoring these warnings unless I go and confront them.

I am wondering, is there any legal leverage that I have to stop this situation from happening? It seems odd to me that short term rentals would even be allowed, given that the house does not even have separate apartment numbers (e.g. "123A, 123B, 123C StreeName St." to denote the basement/main floor/upper levels). Is there some sort of violation of bylaw given how unprotected the units are from each other? I have come across some bylaws where an issue like this could be taken to the LTB if neighbors complain, but I haven't been able to find any information about a scenario where the complainants are other tenants within the same property instead of next door neighbors.

Thanks for any advice, it is very much appreciated - I am at my rope's end with constantly being sleep deprived. I am grateful for any info that might allow me to sleep in peace.