rainexx

all messages by user

9/17/2015
Topic:
Studying Abroad after Applying for Citizenship

rainexx
rainexx
Hello everyone,

I am an undergraduate student applying for an exchange program in China from my university. I've sent my citizenship application on August 26th, 2015. I haven't received the acknowledgement letter yet. The exchange program is from September 2016 to June 2017. I am worried that most likely I won't be able to finish my citizenship test, take the oath and granted citizenship, then apply for student visa and all the other documents I need to bring with me. Since I have a Chinese passport, it will also be much easier for me to go to China with my PR card.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way I can postpone my application or put it "on-hold"?
2. Can I take my citizenship test and oath in another country?
3. How long can I postpone my citizenship test and oath?
4. How should I inform the CIC regarding my exchange program if I am going?
5. Is there penalty for not going to the citizenship test resulting in my application being canceled?

I have already called CIC call centre agents a few times and one agent told me my application is already in process so I can't withdraw with a full refund (however, did not ask any questions regarding who I am) while another one told me that they are sending out acknowledgement letters to the applications that have received before August 25th. Does that mean my application is processing but I just haven't received the acknowledgement letter?

I am worried sick because this exchange program is very important to me but receiving a RQ or doing something that could sabotage my future citizenship application is not what I want either. I don't know where else I should ask since the call centre agents are not being much helpful to me.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion,
Raine