Lost password

GoodLife

all messages by user

12/29/2015
Topic:
OHIP Application Restrictions for OWP Holders

GoodLife
GoodLife

So as stated, you must have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months and also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. The agreement should state the employer's name, your occupation, and state that you will be working for at least 6 consecutive months.

Here is my situation:
For a 2 years I was using University Health Insurance Plan, provided to my spouse and me, and I've never applied to OHIP (as UHIP has more benefits). Now I hold full-time position in company in Ontario. But my Work Permit expires on December 1. We applied for Post-Graduation Work Permit and Open Work Permit. But at least for 1 month we will stay in Canada under the Implied Status. I also read this Venus Factor and I'm going to try it. During this time we can't use OHIP.

So my question: can I apply for OHIP now (as I have 3 weeks until my current OWP expires)? In December we will have to buy 3rd party Insurance, but it would be great if we can later claim costs under the renewed OHIP...
On the official WebSite of Ontario Ministry of Health I couldn't find any restrictions to WP expiration date.

Thanks for your help!

I have a job ready for me but I don't have anything saying the job will last a minimum of 6 months. Should I request that from my employer or will a work agreement do?