Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

PR for Child Born outside Canada to PRs 

skupa
skupa

Posted On: 8/12/2019
skupa
skupa
Hi,

Me, my wife and my daughter are all permanent residents of Canada and all of us have completed 2+ years (out of 5 years) residency obligation.

My wife is pregnant and is currently in India where we plan to have our 2nd child born.

Could you kindly advise me on the process on how soon I can bring the new born back to Canada on PR or any other option where he/she would be eligible for healthcare as well ?

If I have to sponsor from within Canada:

Can I start the sponsorship process?

And leave Canada to stay with my family in India and come back once the application is approved ?

Thanks & Regards.
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 8/13/2019
PMM
PMM
HI

skupa wrote:
Hi,

Me, my wife and my daughter are all permanent residents of Canada and all of us have completed 2+ years (out of 5 years) residency obligation.

My wife is pregnant and is currently in India where we plan to have our 2nd child born.

Could you kindly advise me on the process on how soon I can bring the new born back to Canada on PR or any other option where he/she would be eligible for healthcare as well ?

If I have to sponsor from within Canada:

Can I start the sponsorship process?

And leave Canada to stay with my family in India and come back once the application is approved ?

Thanks & Regards.

1. You can apply for a TRV for the child, but it is unlikely to be issued as the child's intention is to become a permanent resident.
2. Once the child is born, you would have to return to Canada to submit a sponsorship application.

3. If the child is admitted as a visitor, s/he would not be eligible for health care until s/he becomes a PR. If admitted as a Permanent resident, after processing abroad, s/he would either be eligible for health immediately, or would have to wait 3 months depending on the province.

4. As you are PR you must remain in Canada during the processing of the application.
link
skupa
skupa

Posted On: 8/15/2019
skupa
skupa
Thank you!
link
hassaniqbalbhatti
hassaniqbalbhatti

Posted On: 8/28/2020
Hi, I and my wife are both Canadain Resident ( PR holder), we had our child born during COVID period outside Canada, now we want to travel back to Canada with our newborn Child. kindly explain what procedure wee need to follow to take him along us? and will he be considered as a PR holder due to special COVID scenario?
link
charlsmartin14
charlsmartin14

Posted On: 10/5/2020
charlsmartin14
charlsmartin14
Hi everyone, just need an information me and my wife left to India last October 2019 to visit my ailing father who was diagnosed with cancer and couldn’t return to Canada due to lockdown. Meanwhile wife had to deliver our baby here in India. he is 3 months old now we have got his passport too. kindly advice how we need to proceed with his PR application or can we take him along on visitors visa / temporary resident visa and apply for his PR after reaching Canada. Thanks in advance
link
jijojose
jijojose

Posted On: 1/4/2021
jijojose
jijojose
hassaniqbalbhatti wrote:
Hi, I and my wife are both Canadain Resident ( PR holder), we had our child born during COVID period outside Canada, now we want to travel back to Canada with our newborn Child. kindly explain what procedure wee need to follow to take him along us? and will he be considered as a PR holder due to special COVID scenario?

Hi Hassan, we are in same situation, can you please explain me your situation now? how did you apply for your newborn
link
hassaniqbalbhatti
hassaniqbalbhatti

Posted On: 1/6/2021
No update till now
link

Posted On: 1/27/2021
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. In addition to PMM's response, you may also find helpful information in the thread Permanent Residency outside Canada. Here is an excerpt about travelling back to Canada as a PR holder with children who are born abroad:

2. PR holders’ children who were born abroad

A child born to permanent resident parents while abroad doesn’t become a permanent resident by birth. According to Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, to become a permanent resident, foreign nationals must apply either as a member of the family class, the economic class, or as a refugee.

Under the family class, permanent residents who are at least 18 years old and reside in Canada can sponsor their spouse, partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents and move to Canada.

So, while children born to PR holders outside Canada aren't immediately considered Permanent Residents, there are other options available for travel/sponsorship.

Please let us know if you have further questions. We hope that the information provided is helpful. You may also wish to speak to a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration regarding your situation before starting any application process.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Nitesh261087
Nitesh261087

Posted On: 2/22/2021
Nitesh261087
Nitesh261087
Hello Team,

I and my wife got our PR on 2019. We'd to leave back in December 2019 due to financial settlements was ongoing in India. After that We planned and booked our tickets to travel in March 18th -2020. But it was so unfortunate that we could not travel on March 2020 because of Covid-19. In the same time my wife was pregnant and completed 3months. But that was not a reason for us to stay back. We checked with our Doctor and my wife had got a green signal to travel. However, the point is my delivered on Sept 2020. And, i applied my daughter passport after 3 months of birth date. At this point i was going through consultants , forums and many other youtube consultants and i am slightly unsure of which options to choose.
We planned to travel by March 2021, but now "Visa" for my daughter is blocker.

- TRV
- Apply Visit Visa and then we process our daughter document from Canada

Please suggest us an option now. At this point we both are in india with our daughter and now we are planning to travel back.

-NItesh
link
fidodido
fidodido

Posted On: 5/1/2021
fidodido
fidodido
Hi Hassan/Hi Nitesh - were you able to get the visit visa for the new born? Pls share your updates.
link
rozmin
rozmin

Posted On: 6/17/2021
rozmin
rozmin
Hi Nitesh.. I'm in exactly the same situation...
Did you manage to get TRV?
It would be great if anybody could help me clear my doubts in the questionnaire for TRV.
Which option to select for following questions
1. What would you like to do in Canada
A. Study
B. Visit
C. Move there
D. Transit etc

2. How long are you planning to stay in Canada
A. Temporarily Less than 6months
B. Temporarily more than 6 months
C. Permanently

These 2 main questions among others..
Please help
link
srazajamal
srazajamal

Posted On: 6/20/2021
srazajamal
srazajamal
Hi Nitesh / Rozmin
Please let me know if you were able to get the TRV for your child. I am in the same position as you and waiting for the TRV since Jan 2021.
link
Nitesh
Nitesh

Posted On: 8/2/2021
Nitesh
Nitesh
Hi, I and my wife are both have PR , child was born in India during pandemic . We have to travel back to Canada with our newborn Child as my wifes maternity leave completed last month. Have applied for TRV and its more than 4 months no response. Is there other option or can i apply PR from India for my child. Please guide if there is any other option as we need to travel back by Sep end.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2021
Nitesh wrote:
Hi, I and my wife are both have PR , child was born in India during pandemic . We have to travel back to Canada with our newborn Child as my wifes maternity leave completed last month. Have applied for TRV and its more than 4 months no response. Is there other option or can i apply PR from India for my child. Please guide if there is any other option as we need to travel back by Sep end.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us, you may find helpful information in the discussion forum thread How Can I Travel With My Newborn?. Here is the excerpted response:
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out! We’re happy to try and help with your question.

If you wish for your child to become a permanent resident of Canada, you and your wife must sponsor them to become a permanent resident. Sponsorship is, essentially, a promise to support a person after they have immigrated to Canada. More information on family sponsorships for your child can be found in the guide to sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, or dependant child.

In general, to be eligible to sponsor your child, you must be able to prove you can provide for the basic needs of yourself, your spouse, the child you wish to sponsor and any other children of you or your spouse. As a permanent resident, you are unable to sponsor a family member while residing outside of Canada. In order to sponsor your child you must submit the application after one of the parents returns to Canada.

Due to issues resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, permanent resident applications may be delayed. For this reason, it’s advisable to get the application for sponsorship submitted as soon as possible when you return to Canada. This application should be submitted first and then you should apply for your child to accompany your wife to Canada, and then apply for a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization for your child, since you mentioned that you would return to Canada first.

For your child to accompany your wife, she does not require written authorization from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), but she must have the necessary documentation for travel. This includes documentation showing her status as a permanent resident, in the form of valid PR card or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), your child’s passport, your child’s birth certificate, a visa or eTA, and something proving your relationship, such as a marriage certificate. If the birth certificate is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by an official, certified translation.

If your child is a citizen of a country that requires a visa to enter Canada then you would need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for your child. Details on this process can be found in the guide to applying for a visitor visa. If your child is a citizen of a country that does not require a visa to enter Canada, they will need an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) to enter. A list of countries that are visa exempt can be found on the IRCC website.

As your child was born outside of Canada, IRCC will also require additional documentation proving your relationship. If your wife has any medical records about her pregnancy from Canada, this should be included in your applications. Additionally, IRCC may require DNA testing to prove the relationship between parent and child. As you can imagine, this is a precaution as Canada needs to be certain that they abide by the United Nations convention against human smuggling. This testing is overseen by IRCC, but you would be required to cover the costs. More details on DNA testing can be found on the IRCC website.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.

Additionally, if you wish to sponsor your child when you return, and before your wife, you must be able to show that your wife agrees with your child immigrating to Canada.

COVID-19 has put a strain on wait times. For information specific to your application, it is best that you contact IRCC using their web form. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Klau
Klau

Posted On: 7/18/2023
Klau
Klau
Hi can anyone please help. My son was born outside of Canada I'm a PR holder my husband is reffuge at the moment by son has eta visa which people say good for up to 3 months!
I can't sponsor them as he is very small and I can't leave him as he is breastfeeding baby.
How can I apply for him a PR or h&c I wanted to put him down as a reffuge as he gets a status with it and at least he has a health care!
Spoken to lawyers they no help me with clear information. Can anyone tell me what they have done ? What should I do please thank you
link