Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

How do I renew a health card without a license? 

ConnieCL
ConnieCL

Posted On: 9/13/2020
ConnieCL
ConnieCL
13 Sept. 2020

I have been trying to renew my OHIP card online but I am always asked to provide a license driver number which I don't have because I do not drive. Instead, I have a photo card which the computer does not accept. What should I do since I don't want to go out of my place during this COVID19? I am 74 year old.
link

Posted On: 9/24/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Due to the current situation with COVID-19, you may not need to renew your health card. Expired health cards will be accepted by Ontario health care providers.

According to Service Ontario’s COVID-19 notice:
Please note: we have extended validation to expired and expiring health cards. You do not need to renew at this time.

Unfortunately, a drivers licence is necessary to renew your health card online. But, Service Ontario recommends that you continue using an expired card in the meantime to access health services. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Michael C
Michael C

Posted On: 10/6/2020
Michael C
Michael C
This thread is very informative. I'm also on the dead-end of health card renewal
link

Posted On: 10/6/2020
Michael C wrote:
This thread is very informative. I'm also on the dead-end of health card renewal

Thank you, we're glad you found this information helpful. Feel free to post here if you have any more questions.
link
Sweethoney22
Sweethoney22

Posted On: 10/16/2020
Sweethoney22
Sweethoney22
How do I renew for a new health card online without licence?
link

Posted On: 10/29/2020
Sweethoney22 wrote:
How do I renew for a new health card online without licence?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you cannot renew your healthcard online without a drivers license. But, if you want to avoid visiting a Service Ontario in person, it is recommended that you continue using an expired card to access health services. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
r linda
r linda

Posted On: 2/5/2021
r linda
r linda
Very Informative and thank you so much
link
Gosia
Gosia

Posted On: 2/15/2021
Gosia
Gosia
I'm not able to renew my health card because I do to have a driver's licence ( I can't drive because of my health condition).How can I renew my health card?
link

Posted On: 2/28/2021
r linda wrote:
Very Informative and thank you so much

Thank you, we are glad you found this information helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to share them with us.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 2/28/2021
Gosia wrote:
I'm not able to renew my health card because I do to have a driver's licence ( I can't drive because of my health condition).How can I renew my health card?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, you cannot renew your health card online without a drivers license. But, if you want to avoid visiting a Service Ontario in person, it is recommended that you continue using an expired card to access health services.

If you do not have a health card at all, you may have to visit a Service Ontario in person. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for advice specific to your situation.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Ldy
Ldy

Posted On: 7/29/2021
Ldy
Ldy
I understand that I can continue using my healthcare but my doctor's office was unable to send me a test kit as my card was expired.
link

Posted On: 7/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You should be able to access health services with an expired health card. Most expired health cards remain valid until further notice. Health care providers have the tools to validate your card each time you visit. You can check whether your card is valid by calling ServiceOntario at 1-866-532-3161. If it is no longer valid, you will need to update your health card registration by visiting a ServiceOntario centre.

We hope this more information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
montyjammable
montyjammable

Posted On: 9/17/2021
montyjammable
montyjammable
This requirement by the Province discriminates against non-drivers. We pay for an Ontario ID card yet cannot use it to renew our health cards during the pandemic. As noted above, many people who do not drive are elderly and/or have health issues that preclude them from driving. I would like to see this changed. Who do I talk to about this?
link
Charmayne
Charmayne

Posted On: 9/27/2021
Charmayne
Charmayne
My husband's health card has expired and he does not have a current Driver's License and I understand we cannot renew this online without a valid Driver's License, however he is not well and will be going into a nursing home soon and therefore not able to physically go to a Service Canada location to do this in person. Can you tell me how we can get a new Health Card due to this situation.
link

Posted On: 9/30/2021
Charmayne wrote:
My husband's health card has expired and he does not have a current Driver's License and I understand we cannot renew this online without a valid Driver's License, however he is not well and will be going into a nursing home soon and therefore not able to physically go to a Service Canada location to do this in person. Can you tell me how we can get a new Health Card due to this situation.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It should be possible to still access health services with an expired health card. Expired health cards remain valid during the pandemic, and health care providers have the tools to validate your card each time you visit. You can check whether his card is valid by calling ServiceOntario at 1-866-532-3161. If it is no longer valid, you will need to update your health card registration by visiting a Service Ontario centre.

We hope this more information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link