Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal: Days absent from Canada 

nirlep
nirlep

Posted On: 2/27/2024
nirlep
nirlep
I am applying for PR renewal and I was informed that one has to meet a minimum requirement of staying inside Canada for 730 days. I do meet this requirement. I first landed in Canada on Jan 13, 2019.

However, as I started filling the form, it asked for my days outside Canada, which turn out to be 1128 days, and one needs to be outside Canada for less than 1095 days. The days are calculated from 5 years back from today. My PR expires in 2 days.

Did someone have same problem while filing the renewal, what am I missing/miscalculating here? I am confused.

My travel History:

PR issue date as printed on PR card: 13 Jan 2019
Left Canada: 10 July 2019

Entered Canada: 3 Sep 2020
Left Canada: 6 Feb 2021

Entered Canada: 20 Jan 2023; In Canada since then
LINK REPLY WITH QUOTE
link

Posted On: 2/29/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing this question and situation with us.

For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from the date they receive your application. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin? To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis.

It is worth noting that not meeting your PR residency requirements doesn’t mean an automatic loss in PR status, you may want to contact IRCC directly, using their web form to request case-specific information and discuss your application. It may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. If you have been in the country for 730 days or more, it is highly unlikely that you have been outside of the country for more than 1095 days in the past 5 years and this may be a calculation error. I would suggest contacting IRCC directly and looking over your dates.

You may also wish to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation.

If you find yourself in a position where you need to travel and do not yet have your PR card, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
nirlep
nirlep

Posted On: 3/3/2024
nirlep
nirlep
Hi

Thanks for answering my query!

I want to understand If I left Canada now and wanted to return after 2 years, Is it possible with PRTD? When do I apply for PRTD if I happen to travel back after 2 years?

Thanks,
Nirlep

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing this question and situation with us.

For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from the date they receive your application. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin? To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis.

It is worth noting that not meeting your PR residency requirements doesn’t mean an automatic loss in PR status, you may want to contact IRCC directly, using their web form to request case-specific information and discuss your application. It may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. If you have been in the country for 730 days or more, it is highly unlikely that you have been outside of the country for more than 1095 days in the past 5 years and this may be a calculation error. I would suggest contacting IRCC directly and looking over your dates.

You may also wish to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation.

If you find yourself in a position where you need to travel and do not yet have your PR card, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 3/5/2024
Hi Nirlep,

Based on information on the IRCC website, if you leave Canada with an expired PR card, you will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. As a permanent resident who has met their PR requirements, you should be able to apply for a PRTD to re-enter Canada. The typical PRTD validity time is six months from the date of issue, and you will want to consider applying for the PRTD in advance to your planned return to also account for processing time.

It is also worth noting that not meeting your PR residency requirements doesn’t mean an automatic loss in PR status, but you may want to speak to a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice about travelling back to Canada without a valid PR card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. You may also want to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for case-specific information.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link