all messages by user

9/26/2020
Topic:
SIN

Mario
Mario
Re: Dormant Social Insurance Number

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen, and I have been away from Canada for more than five years. In May, 2020, I returned to Canada, and I learned that due to the time I have been away, my Social Insurance Number is dormant, therefore, I tried to get my Social Insurance Number activated, but Citizenship Canada has been given me a hard time, and am totally frustrated and don't know what to do.

First attempt:
Around mid June, 2020, I requested on line to have my SIN activated, I sent copies of my Canadian passport, my Canadian citizenship card, and proof of residency (copy of correspondence received). A few days later I received a letter stating that my proof of residence was not acceptable.

Second attempt:
At the beginning of August 2020, I re-sent the documents, this time as proof of address, I sent a bank statement, my Canadian citizenship card, and my Canadian passport, a few days later, I received another letter stating that my citizenship card was unacceptable.

Third attempt:
I went in person to Services Canada, the one located at 885 Meadowlands, Ottawa, and I was told that I will get an answer in 1 1/2
to 2 months, however, the same documents listed above were taken and I am wondering, first of all, why it takes so long, secondly, that besides taking long time, the possibility of getting the same answer again since my third application is the same documents as my second application.

Please help... any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Mario