carmenc

all messages by user

2/8/2021
Topic:
PR card renewal

carmenc
carmenc
Hi there,

Regarding this situation with the address, we are applying for PR renewal, but will be leaving Canada in 1 month and will give a family address to receive the PR.
Should I put my current address in the application in the "current residential address" box, and my family address for mailing?
Or should I put only my current address and after applying change it online?

Thanks

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will also need to be mailed to a Canadian address. This may or may not fit your two-week window, so you may instead wish to use a family address.

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?. Here is an excerpt:
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

It sounds like you have met your residency requirement to maintain PR status. For information specific to your situation, you may also want to submit a case-specific inquiry using IRCC’s web form.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team