Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

Swaingerous

all messages by user

5/12/2021
Topic:
House is sold, do I have to sign new lease?

Swaingerous
Swaingerous
Hi the house I have been renting a basement apartment in for over 7 years has sold, we have never signed a new lease in that time, so we are currently month to month, so my situation is we currently pay 1200 a month, the house has just sold and we are being asked to sign a new lease paying over 1600 a month, I'm afraid we are being forced to sign it, or threatened with eviction or possibly if we dont sign it, the new landlords will find a loophole to evict us, we are good tenants that just happen to pay lower rent because we know the current landlord, I think the new owners has said they can get more money for the basement apartment and has asked him to get us to sign a new lease for more money, what can I do to protect myself from a $400 increase every month and potentially being served a notice of termination because I don't want to be forced into signing something that isn't legal...basically I'm asking can the new owners of the property ask us to sign a new lease for over 400 dollars more a month, or can our current landlord try to get us to sign new lease in order to please the new buyer? I feel like if I say no to the new lease and its terms I will be given an eviction notice under the guise they need the unit all of a sudden for their personal use or immediate family. Please help