sabine

all messages by user

9/23/2021
Topic:
PR card renewal on hold or lost?

sabine
sabine
Hello everyone,
My current PR card will expire in November. I applied for the renewal of the card in July. Back then, it said the processing time would be about 90-120 days, so I assumed this would be enough time. Since I still haven't heard back or received a confirmation letter that my application arrived, I tried to use the online tool to check the status of my application. It keeps on telling me that no application could be linked to the information I provided. I also called them, but they advised me that due to the Afghanistan crisis, they are not allowed to check the status of my application because all their efforts are going into applications from Afghanistan.
Now I am not even sure if my application arrived (unfortunately, I did not send it as registered mail).
It also says now that the processing time would be 133 days.
I have booked a flight to travel to Germany to visit my parents for Christmas. I am not sure if my PR card arrives on time.
I was told I could apply for PRTD, but I cannot find any information on processing times there either and need to be back by January 10 of 2022 for my job. Now I am worried that if I fly and rely on the PRTD application I cannot be back in time. But I also begin to doubt I will receive the PR card on time since they have apparently not even opened my application package.
Several questions:
1) It says on the homepage that the processing time begins once the application is received and complete. If my application still cannot be found in the online tool, dies this mean that they either have not received it at all or still have not opened the envelope? Would that mean my processing time has not even started yet? How can I find out if my application was received? Would it make sense to send another application asap with registered mail? Is it realistic that after two months they have not even opened the envelope or is it safe to say it got lost?
2) How can I find out hoe long it takes to receive the PRTD document? Will I be stuck in Germany for months if it does not arrive quickly? Also, it says in order to apply for the PRTD I need to provide my original passport and copies of all travel documents of the last 5 years (my current passport was renewed in 2017 and I do not have my old passport anymore or copies of it ... does that mean I cannot apply for PRTD?).
3) Is there any chance that I can re-enter Canada with an expired PR card when my renewal is in process?
Any other advise? Should I consider cancelling my flight?
Thanks in advance,
Sabine
9/25/2021
Topic:
PRTD expiry

sabine
sabine
Hello there,
I have submitted my PR card renewal back in June/beginning of July and still have not received any confirmation. I was also told that everything is on hold due to the Afghanistan crisis. Current time to process 133 days. I think a PRTD is anyways only to be used for ONE entry into Canada, so it is anyways expired if you already used it for travel. If you do not travel you do not need PRTD to re-enter Canada. If you want to travel you can apply for a new PRTD - but, as I was told, right now it is also uncertain how fast a PRTD will be processed.
I have the same problem - as I wanted to travel for Christmas but need to be back two weeks later, so cannot afford to wait for a PRTD, but not sure if my PR card arrives on time. Very frustrating, I understand, I am in the same boat.
Sabine
10/18/2021
Topic:

sabine
sabine
I have a similar timeline. Sent my application on June 24 and received confirmation on October 7 but no PR card. Might depend on whether or not they have to (randomly) check dates and information.
11/8/2021
Topic:

sabine
sabine
Good morning Satske,
In your case it seems a straight forward answer: The homepage clearly states that if the processing time has passed and you still haven't received your PR card you are entitled to inquire about the status of your application (you are just not supposed to do so if the processing time has not passed). The current processing time is announced as 137 days, which clearly has passed a long time ago in your case. They have an email provided and a phone number. In your case you should probably go ahead and inquire about the status of your application. If you had any change of address you should also let them know.
Good luck.