eltorpe

all messages by user

6/27/2014
Topic:
Citizenship Application: Employment Dates

eltorpe
eltorpe
Hi,

I submitted my application earlier this month and have been thinking about this:

For my CURRENT job, I have been with the company since 2010. I have also been doing my Master's part-time since September 2013 (so also CURRENT). For both of these, I only filled out the "FROM" date but not the "TO" date. In the past, I've always filled out "present" for the "TO" date (I looked over my past PR and PR Card applications) but this time I did not. Silly me! For my previous job within the relevant four-year period (an internship), I did fill out both the "FROM" and "TO" dates.

Just wondering:
1) if my application will be returned because the "TO" date was not filled out on the application form for my present employment/education, and
2) how long CIC usually takes to return applications?

Thanks.
1/23/2015
Topic:
Documents Needed to Apply for Citizenship?

eltorpe
eltorpe
For the immigration documents, the instruction guide says:

Note: You must provide all of these documents in your possession. If any of these documents are no longer in your possession, please explain why.

I don't think it would be an issue if you don't have the documents as long as your application is accompanied by a letter that explains why you don't have the requested documents. You should also submit that verification of status e-mail you received.

Do you have your previous and current passports?

In terms of identification documents, you cannot use the SIN card. If you have an unexpired, still valid passport, you can use that + your health card as identification (you need two pieces of identification for the application). Otherwise, I would suggest applying for a driver's license or an Ontario Photo Card (assuming you are in Ontario).

Also, I believe you received that verification of status e-mail in your attempt to have your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) replaced, not your PR card. Applying for a replacement PR card does not require your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence unless you had changed your name legally so that may be another option if you need another piece of immigration document/government-issued identification for the citizenship application. You can find the list of documents required for a PR card here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#5445E4
2/12/2015
Topic:
First Name Changed on the Citizenship Certificate

eltorpe
eltorpe
Applying for a legal name change through the Office of the Registrar General, Ontario would probably be faster (6 to 8 weeks) than getting the citizenship certificate changed (5 months).

References:
https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-long-does-process-take-legally-change-my-name
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp
5/11/2015
Topic:
Updating Immigration/Citizenship Status?

eltorpe
eltorpe
Hello,

I became a Canadian citizen last week and would like to know what government agencies I need to inform about the change in my citizenship status.

1) I have visited Service Canada and was told no update to my SIN record is required as there will be no change to my SIN as a result of becoming a Canadian citizen.

2) I visited ServiceOntario and was also told that no update was needed to my health card or driver's license. However, Form 0280-82E (Change of Information) states "If there is any change in my name, address, citizenship or immigration status I will inform the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or its agent ServiceOntario within 30 days." so I am confused - is an update to my immigration/citizenship info required or not for my health card?

3) Do I have to inform the Canada Revenue Agency?

Thanks!