TrueCanadian

all messages by user

2/6/2016
Topic:
OHIP eligibility being under review

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
@Lisa,
The list of documents depends on your residency status in Canada and also in Ontario.
Please check the document list given by OHIP at
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82
and choose what is applicable in your case.
Suggestion about income tax assessment and GST credit notice - You are legally supposed to file an income tax return as soon as you are over 18 years. Create an account with CRA online, complete your return for 2015, even if it is ZERO. The proof acceptable is only for latest financial year (as it seems you did not file for 2014 otherwise there would be an assessment order in your name). You can submit the printout of your return from the CRA site.
About telephone bill - You need to talk to your parents and also to the service provider for changing a post paid cell phone connection to your name, for which they usually charge $50, onetime.
Driver's licence - You can take the test immediately and usually the Photo Card will arrive at your home in 3-4 weeks. The temp paper license for G1 is not accepted.
Credit Card - Since you mentioned about current employee id, it is interpreted yourself as employed. Hence my suggestion to you is to walk into your bank where the payroll is deposited and demand for instant credit card approval. I personally has good and very recent experience with RBC where the process took just under 3 minutes and the card is in my residence on 5th calendar day for my son who has applied as soon as he hit 18.
Since you are already above 18, may I recommend you to spend sometime online and hunt for a bargain for a best rate for your Life Insurance? The Life Insurance policy is also accepted as a proof of residency.

A clarification regarding Employee Id : Government will accept only the Employee Photo Id (with Photo, Emp Id no and contact info of the issuer) issued by either Government corporations or well known and registered private corporations (discretionary). I can suggest that your attested identification with photo, payroll id, since when you are working (and continuing as on date), recorded residence address etc on the company letter head with contact details can also be accepted in lieu of the above id (again discretionary).

*** I do not work for Government / Any public or private agency ***

All the best!
2/6/2016
Topic:
Urgent processing of PR card

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hey,
The rules are very clear and you can apply for renewal as long as the date of renewal is less than 270 calendar days. As on today it is just 247. Go ahead and apply for the same.

The rules are reproduced here for your benefit:
You can apply for another permanent resident card (PR card) if your card: has expired or will soon expire,
has been lost or stolen, or has been destroyed.

To replace a PR card, follow the same steps to apply for a permanent resident card. You will need to provide the same documents, including photographs, and pay the $50 fee.

***Important information: Do not apply for a renewal of your current PR card if it is still valid for more than nine (9) months (270 days), unless it is due to a legal name change. Otherwise, your application will be returned.***

You should only apply for a permanent resident (PR) card if: you did not get a PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada; you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months;
you have legally changed your name and need to update the name on your PR card.

*** I'm not a Govt. / Public or Private agency employee ***

All the best!

Hi,
My PR card will expire on 10 Oct 2016 and.........
Please share and suggest me.

Hanamina
2/6/2016
Topic:
Ontario Photo ID card

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hi,
Did you notice something on their website ? https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card

"Note: If you have a driver’s licence and want to get an Ontario Photo Card, you have to give up your licence. Your driver’s licence will be cancelled when you apply for your Photo Card.
Delivery :4 to 6 weeks by mail"

However it is interpreted, that's the requirement. But when you closely look, the requirement is as under:"original identity documents to prove your legal name, date of birth and signature -
list 1: only 1 document is required to satisfy all 3 data elements
list 2: 2 documents are required to satisfy all 3 data elements
list 3: support Documents
Expired ID documents are not acceptable (with the exception of an Ontario driver’s licence or Ontario enhanced driver’s licence that is expired less than one year)."

So, the valid expired driver's license if submitted as proof will be cancelled before the issue of a Photo Id. However if a valid drivers license is available why do one requires another Photo Id Card? Some new drivers can not drive due to suspension or some order prohibiting the usage of license. If the license is not valid one needs another Photo Id proof. That's the reason why it says the driver's license is cancelled when a new Ontario Photo Id is required.

So, if the document in list 1 like Passport (with Canadian Address) is available, that will satisfy all the conditions.

It is useful to get a Ontario Drivers licence (new / novice) in 4 weeks, instead of waiting for 4 - 6 weeks just for Photo Id.

Just like body-building, it takes so much time to frame and implement (they invite public discussions too) rules / regulations and actually they are meant for enforcement.
2/6/2016
Topic:
Reduced Hours and E.I.

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hey Brandon,

Sorry about the situation, but

1 week off and back to work - Not eligible for EI, 'cause....
You can apply for EI benefits if you have paid into the EI account and you are unemployed.
(Both conditions must be satisfied)
As your employer is trying to reduce the number of working hours without removing you from service means you will still be a company employee and this comes under ESA 2000 and subsequent amendments. So instead of Service Canada, you may have to refer to guide lines of Ontario Ministry of Labour rather.

All the best!

I've been asked to take a week off work unpaid and then come back with reduced hours for the next 12-16 weeks. They are figuring anywhere between 20-30 hours per week.

Am I able to apply for employment insurance without a lay off as I will be off work and unpaid for 8 consecutive days. I definitely have enough hours to claim.

My location is Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and I've been a full time employee for the last 5 years with this company.

Thanks in advance.
Brandon
2/6/2016
Topic:
IT Job Agency/Consultancy

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hey,

You are a PR holder and has good experience in IT, but the physical presence is of paramount importance when you attend your first interview (valid for any country including Canada), for trades people and middle level managers. So if you are planning to land very soon, I strongly recommend you should attend some CIIP workshop in India (you are from Hyderabad, India, right?) - http://www.newcomersuccess.ca/index.php/videos/ciip-client-videos/ciip-india
Even though you can apply online and contact few people on phone / Skype, the following is process will ensure your success in Canada -
1. Attend and clear CLBPT with at least level 8 (mandatory for attending training programmes and for your profession), within a week of arrival
2. On arrival, register with a newcomer service centre, inquire, register and attend Training programme (various agencies) for internationally qualified professionals
3. Get your educational qualifications assessed by a designated agency - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp
4. The Canadian employers' expectations are unique and you have to do a lot of research even before you actually put an application for a job. You can start the research process even before landing here.
5. Caution - Have enough funds (depends on family size and landing place) for your daily needs till you get a job. Also the job market and trends are totally different here. Please do some research on overall economic situation as it will take sometime for you to land even in a temp job.

You may email if you require sector specific info, when you finish the above steps (I'm IT Pro with > 20+ exp from development to PM and beyond)

Welcome to Canada and All the best!

Hello,

I am a QA/Testing professional with 9 years experience in IT, and leaning towards a Management role. I am PR holder for about a year, and planning to travel to Toronto early next year. Reading through a couple of forums I understand that it is most recommended that I find a job for myself before traveling.

Hence I am adding this discussion item here, to inquire if we have any good/trusted IT Job Consultancies that can help me find a job by scheduling a few interviews etc before I travel next year.

Thanks in advance for looking through the issue and providing suggestions.

Regards,
Hussain
2/6/2016
Topic:
Am I restricted by my PR status in occupations?

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Hey,

Congrats on the Visa and Welcome to Canada.

The FSW visa was be issued based on the criteria (including your previous occupation) and doesn't restrict the job / field you'll be getting into, subject meeting the job requirements and language requirements (applicable largely to Quebec).

You can start your own business / consultancy as soon as you land here. But you should check with the local Government regulations and obtain license before you start any form of business. For example if you would like to start a restaurant the number of licenses can be anywhere around 30.

So theoretically though your visa doesn't dictate your profession but it is you how you choose to progress further.

All the best!

Hi friends,
I just got my COPR under the previous FSW scheme (not Express Entry). Two questions:

1. When I find jobs in Ontario (or Canada for that matter), I suppose I am free, as a permanent resident, to choose among any kind of jobs which is available to me and which hires me. In order words, I suppose I do not have to limit the choices to those which belong to the occupation based on which I made my FSW application.

2. A related issue - I suppose I am also free to start a business, and go self-employed, and not be "employed" by any firm.

Having read the relevant regulations, guidelines, etc., I got the above impressions and just wish to check if my understanding is correct. Thanks.
2/6/2016
Topic:
Questions - Applying for ON College or University

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
Apply to ICAS / WES, with original documents including marks sheets. If they are in
a language other than in English, submission of translated documents is also mandatory. Simultaneously an application can be started on ontariocolleges.ca website. However, unless they receive the transcript from ICAS / WES, online they will not transfer the application to concerned college.

I dealt with ICAS previously with a smooth and in-time delivery experience.

You may also check for other options for education / training as the time taken for assessment is usually 4 - 6 weeks at least, after submission of all docs.
2/6/2016
Topic:
Doing CPA with Work Permit - Need a Study Permit?

TrueCanadian
TrueCanadian
You may not be able to pursue studies while on PGWPP as the length of PGWPP is equal to the study period preceding to it. Technically speaking, when you are enrolling in a school for a new programme, you have to fulfill the residency status requirements, 'cause you'll remain in Canada during the period of study.

Rather, You may want to apply for express entry PR visa with the experience you gained as PGWPP and the requirement for student visa does not arise once you are PR.
All the best!

Hello,

I am holding my Post-Graduation Work Permit right now.
However I wanna continue to do my CGA/CPA (Chartered Professional Accountants) while Im working.

Also, I called CPA, CIC and my school. CIC just told me
None of them can give me an answer that if I need a study permit or not.

So now, Im just wondering if I can do the CPA with a Post-Graduation Work Permit? Do I need to apply a study permit? Can I hole the work permit and a study permit in the same time? Does anyone have the same situation?