Lost password

Wanderer

all messages by user

1/3/2017
Topic:
PRTD and divorce

Wanderer
Wanderer
Situation: Permanent Resident accompanying Canadian citizen abroad for extended period. Meets PR due to accompanying. Marital relations disintegrate. Do the regulations allow for the PRTD application to. E submitted/approved, as long as period is still met for having accompanied citizen spouse?

Example: Landed 2010, and resided in CA. 2011 departed CA with citizen spouse. 2017 marriage ends. Submitting application, the PR needs to demonstrate accompanying citizen spouse for more than two years, so would she be able to submit application in mid-2018 and still be eligible?
1/4/2017
Topic:
Confirmation of PR

Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't think you can get a copy of the COPR, but you can get the verification of status (VOS) which has the information.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

I have read that it can take six months to receive the VOS, so plan ahead.
3/22/2017
Topic:
Confirming PR status

Wanderer
Wanderer
Aside from applying for a PRTD, is there anyway for a PR who has been out of contact country for several years (accompanying citizen spouse) to verify that PR status is still valid? Per the regs, time is met, but it'd be nice to be able to confirm.
3/24/2017
Topic:
Confirming PR status

Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks, PMM. I know of that reference, but was just hoping there was a way to confirm status (have reviewed) without completing PRTD until needed.
3/27/2017
Topic:
Can I Renew My Permanent Residency?

Wanderer
Wanderer
Given that you were removed from Canada as a minor, you may be able to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), and then a new PR card when you get back into Canada. It would effectively be a H&C issue, as you didn't have option to maintain residency obligation due to being taken out of Canada by parent. Clarifying that you are still PR is definitely advisable.
4/17/2017
Topic:
PR Card to Renew Driver's License?

Wanderer
Wanderer
Good question
5/3/2017
Topic:
Living with Cdn. Spouse Abroad - Return to Canada

Wanderer
Wanderer
You should read some of the decisions on Residency Obligation by IAD. There have been some where the PR was lost due to having one overseas first, and the CA citizen following, or there being issues of who was accompanying Whom. From what I have seen, all recent ones have affirmed that the law doesn't state who has to have accompanied Whom, or tre reason for being overseas, as Lin as the PR is regularly resident with the Canadian citizen spouse.

Being in a similar situation, could you share how you were able to get a new PR card? Did you use family address, or change way you provided permanent Canadian address on application, and how long did you have to stay in Canada when applying for renewal?
5/3/2017
Topic:
Landed Immigrant (1968-1985)- Wishes To Return

Wanderer
Wanderer
Drive across border without getting reported, stay under radar without Canadian ID for two full years, and then apply for your PR card when you are back in compliance.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Need to Leave Canada- Not Met 730 Days Requirement

Wanderer
Wanderer
It depends, in part on how long you have been a PR. The expiration of the card is not the issue. A residency obligation determination can be done at any time and looks at the previous 5 years. If you are not in compliance with # of days, the process to remove PR status could start.
5/25/2017
Topic:
Sponsoring Spouse moving from USA

Wanderer
Wanderer
Applying Outland is much quicker than inland.
5/29/2017
Topic:
Wife Reported at POE - Not Met PR Requirements

Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't believe you would be able to sponsor her until she has either won the appeal, had a revocation completed, or gives up her status.
6/24/2017
Topic:
Not Met Residency Requirements - Renew PR card?

Wanderer
Wanderer
Are you in Canada? If so, you should wait until you are complying with residenxybobligstion. Apply for PR card when you haven't met RO is a bad idea.
6/24/2017
Topic:
PRTD Rejected Despite Invite Letter from IRCC

Wanderer
Wanderer

1) Permanent Resident Card Validity: 11th June 2010 - 15th July 2015 (5 year period)

2) Stay in Canada (Toronto- Ontario): 11th June 2010- 29th June 2012 (748 days)

Given that you haven't been in Canada in almost 5 years, why not just move on with your life? From what you wrote it seems that there is any intent to actually establish a permanent residence in Canada.

BTW, the 730 days in the minimum. It isn't really overstayong to be in Canada for 748 days out of five years.
3/18/2022
Topic:
Residency Obligation for PR Accompanying Canadian

Wanderer
Wanderer
Why is there so much confusion over whether a PR who is living with a Canadian citizen abroad should have time counted toward RO? CBSA guidance says that it doesn’t matter who accompanies whom and yet many PR lose status because it is later determined that they might have gone abroad with Canadian citizen spouse, may have lives with same spouse ever day, but we’re somehow not accompanying them.