happy_canadian

all messages by user

1/16/2017
Topic:
Re-entering Canada

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
My parents became PR on April 1st 2014. They then left the country after taking the PR Card. They have visited twice since then once in 2015 and again 2016 each time for a period of 2 months. This means they have only stayed in the country for 4 months. If they visit Canada after August 2017 can they be stopped at the Airport and denied entry into Canada for not fulfilling residency requirements ?
Please advise.

Thanks
IQ
1/16/2017
Topic:
Permanent Residency status

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
I can reply based on my knowledge and experience with the CIC rules. If you come back to Canada in Dec 2017, you will still be good with regards to your residency requirements and PR status as officially in a 5 year period you are allowed to be outside Canada for a 3 year period. As Per CIC rules, you should be able to show a stay of 730 days (or 2 years) in Canada during the 5 year period since you became a PR. Looking at the information you have provided here you should be Ok. Hope this helps, good luck !
1/18/2017
Topic:
Moving to Ottawa - Looking for a Job

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
For searching of jobs there are many website, you can try monster.ca or Workopolis.com
Your question is not clear, what would you like to know.
1/18/2017
Topic:
Border Crossing - Questions

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
You will need a Canadian Passport or an Enhanced Ontario Drivers license.
2/14/2017
Topic:
Re-entering Canada

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
Since you have lived for most of the time outside of Canada after getting your PR card, you are not eligible for renewal of PR. This will be the case even if you get a job here. However, If you get a job you can probably get a job visa but as far as PR status is concerned you have to stay in the country for the required number of days, which I believe is 730 days in a 5 year period since becoming PR, I hope this answers your question.
Thanks
IQ
2/14/2017
Topic:
PR card is Expiring Soon

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi Kand/ Moderator,
I am in similar situation and needed your advice, you say your mother has just returned back. I would like to know if your mother had any difficulty entering into Canada as she has not stayed for 2 years even though her PR card is still valid ? Do they not check at the time of entering in the country ? Please advise. I was told earlier that if a person is having a valid PR card but has not lived in the country for 2 years or more , then they can report this person for non compliance of residency obligations at the time of entering into the country even with a valid PR card. Is this correct ?

Thanks
IQ
PMM wrote:
Hi

kand wrote:
Thanks
Can she go outside Canada and come back before 2019.

1. If she does, she risks being reported for not meeting her PR residency obligations.
9/27/2018
Topic:
Can I Sponsor my Brother and his Family?

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen, I would like to know if its possible for me to sponsor my brother and his family under the family sponsorship program similar to parents/spouse sponsorship.

My brother is above 18 years of age, They have 2 kids. Please let me know.

Thanks
IQ
9/27/2018
Topic:
Child Born Abroad to PRs - Sponsorship

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi there,
We were in a similar situation back in 2006. I would like to share my experience with you.

Since our child was born outside Canada and after us becoming PRs, we had to apply for a visit visa for him to accompany us to Canada. The application process for this visa and the requirements can vary from office to office and also depend on the Visa officer in-charge. We were asked to provide a complete proof of relocation to Canada , so we were asked documents like letter of resignation from my job, letter of acceptance of resignation, copies of Cargo bill of lading, copies of Air tickets etc. On the other hand my brother's family who were in a similar situation applied from a different country for the same visa for their newborn and they were not asked any of these supporting documents. So it can really vary from Visa office to office.
Once in Canada, I think the process is pretty straight forward, you have to apply for sponsoring your child. Once this is approved you get the landing documents, you have to approach a border crossing office and then complete the formalities. Once back inside Canada, your child will become a PR of Canada.

Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards
IQ
9/27/2018
Topic:
Parents' PR Status

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi there,
My parents became PR in April 2014. After that they have visited Canada three times. Their total stay in Canada is around 90 days, so they are well short of the requirement for maintaining their PR status. Their PR card is valid until April 2019.
My Question is , can they travel and re-enter Canada on this PR card before April 2019(since it is still valid and not expired) or Will they be denied entry into Canada because they are short on the residency requirements.

Second question, can they enter in Canada after April 2019 ?

Please advice.

Thanks
IQ
10/9/2018
Topic:
IELTS Upper Age Limit?

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi there,

One of our relatives in India plans on appearing for IELTS,

Is there any upper age limit for IELTS ?

I know the minimum age is 16 years but what about upper age limit .

Regards IQ
9/24/2019
Topic:
Sponsoring Brother-In-Law

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello ,

I wanted to know if you can help us in providing this information, we are looking to sponsor my Brother-in-law( wife’s brother) to Canada.

My wife is a student and is not working so does not have income, while I am working and can show support to sponsor ,

Can I be the sponsor for my brother-in-law or is it just for blood relatives only ?

Regards IQ
9/26/2019
Topic:
PR Card and Super Visa Questions

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi,
My parents became PR in 2014 but did not stay in Canada for the required period so they loose their Canadian Permanent residency status. I have two questions

1) Do I need to inform CIC in writing , or does their PR status in Canada automatically get cancelled ?

2) Can I get the PR cancelled(by sending a formal letter to CIC) and at the same time apply for a 2 year Super visa as that seems to be more convenient to my parents ?

Please let me know my options.

Thanks
IQ
3/11/2020
Topic:
Buying a property in US - Tax rules

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hi there,
One of our friends is planning on buying a property in US. He would like to know the taxation rules for Canadian citizens who are non residents in US. What is the best way to do in this situation, please advise or guide.

Regards
IQ
10/21/2020
Topic:
PR card renewal

happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
My parents PR card expired last year and they have not lived in Canada for the required number of days, how can I bring them to Canada and also how to renew their expired PR cards ?
Thanks
IQ