Lost password

MelM

all messages by user

11/27/2015
Topic:
PR Card for Sponsored Parents

MelM
MelM
There's no difference. Yes - it's mailed to the Canadian address they provide.
11/28/2015
Topic:
Renewing PR card - Physical Residency in Canada

MelM
MelM
No - you cannot apply for citizenship. The days you spend outside of Canada with your Canadian citizenship husband are only counted towards keeping your PR status. They cannot be counted towards citizenship. For citizenship you need to be physically living in Canada. From the time you decide to return to Canada to live here, it will likely be at least four years before you will qualify to apply for citizenship.
11/30/2015
Topic:
EI Benefits while Sponsorship in Progress?

MelM
MelM
EI is not a problem - go ahead and take it.

You just can't be on Ontario Works (welfare).
12/1/2015
Topic:
Required to Enter Together? and Goods to Follow

MelM
MelM
Yes - your wife needs a US visa.

No - you don't have to enter Canada together. If you enter separately, your wife must enter first.

You can bring your luggage into Canada however you want to.
12/3/2015
Topic:
Husband has a Second Family - Problem?

MelM
MelM
You haven't provided nearly enough information for anyone to answer your question.

What is his status in Canada? What is your status in Canada? Have one or both of you applied for permanent residency? If so, through which immigration stream? Or are both of you here on some sort of temporary permit (e.g. work permit, study permit)?

When you say that your husband has another family, does this mean he is married to someone else? Did he get married to this other person before he got married to you?
12/4/2015
Topic:
How can I Sponsor my Wife & Child? - Not Declared

MelM
MelM
1. This is your ONLY option.
2. This is not an option. If you fail to declare your wife and child you will never be able to sponsor them and will be committing misrepresentation which may result in your own PR status being revoked.
3. This is not an option. It's misrepresentation (lying in your application). Expect CIC to perform further checks and assume they will find out you are actually married. Then you're looking at a refusal, plus a five year ban from Canada.

Adding your spouse and child to your application now is your one and only option.
12/5/2015
Topic:
Sponsoring my Wife's Mother

MelM
MelM
Yes - you can co-sponsor (your wife would be the primary sponsor). Note that you must provide three years of Canadian tax returns that meet LICO to apply. This means that if you want to apply in January 2016, you will need to provide tax returns for 2012, 2013 and 2014 that all meet LICO.

Also note that there is a cap for parent/grandparent sponsorship applications and that this year that cap was reached in a day and a half. So you'll want to make sure your application reaches CIC on the first business day of January.
12/7/2015
Topic:
My Spouse Sponsorship Refused

MelM
MelM
Why was your wife refused? Was it because CIC is not convinced that you would move to Canada once her PR visa is approved?

If your wife was refused, your daughter is refused as well.
12/8/2015
Topic:
Second marriage while on PR

MelM
MelM
Yes - as long as you marry your second wife after you divorce your first wife.
12/10/2015
Topic:
OHIP for Mexican wife of Canadian

MelM
MelM
Assuming you applied for PR using the inland route - you will qualify for OHIP once you have AIP/first stage approval. It's currently taking 17 months to reach first stage approval from time the application is submitted. Until then you will have to pay for the costs out of your own pocket. You can reduce your costs by opting to have a home birth with the assistance of a midwife.
12/11/2015
Topic:
Applying for PR - Parents

MelM
MelM
Detailed information on how to sponsor your parents is available here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/sponsor-parents.asp

Note that CIC only accepts a limited number of applications each year starting the first business day of January. The application cap was reached in a day and a half last year. So you will want to ensure your application reaches CIC on January 4th if you want to apply next year. Once the application is accepted by CIC, expect processing time to be 4 or more years.

To qualify to sponsor your parents, you (and your spouse/common law partner) must meet the low income cut off for 2012, 2013 and 2014 for your family size (including your parents). To prove you meet the income requirements, you will need to include Canadian tax returns for 2012, 2013 and 2014. If you do not meet the income requirement at this time, you will have to wait until you do to apply.
12/14/2015
Topic:
Sponsoring A Child Living Without Status in the US

MelM
MelM
Yes - she can sponsor him provided he is under 19 years of age.

She must declare that he is out of status / has no status in the US in the application. It won't be a problem as long as she's honest.
12/16/2015
Topic:
Distance Learning Degree

MelM
MelM
The fact your degrees aren't recognized will unfortunately make it quite a bit more difficult to immigrate since you won't receive any points for this education under Express Entry. You can certainly still apply to immigration under Express Entry. However since your points will be low, I would recommend you try to secure a permanent job offer in Canada (accompanied by an LMIA) to increase your chances of being selected.
12/18/2015
Topic:
Withdrawing my Citizenship Application

MelM
MelM
I believe the moderators here are government employees. So they are not allowed to give you an opinion with regards to your citizenship application and can only suggest that you seek legal assistance if you want advice.

I am not an immigration lawyer or consultant (and am also not a moderator on this forum) - however I would definitely withdraw your application. It's a no-brainer. You applied way before you qualified and I believe a refusal is guaranteed.

Full details on how to withdraw a citizenship application are posted on the CIC web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=735&t=5

I have no clue how long a withdrawal takes.

Good luck.
12/23/2015
Topic:
Permanent Resident - Child born overseas

MelM
MelM
1. Yes - you can sponsor your child.
2. Yes - you can apply for another TRV. However there likely isn't much point as it will most likely be refused again. If you want to apply again, try for a TRP instead.