Klaus

all messages by user

12/4/2014
Topic:
Tax Calculation

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,
and what is the meaning of "taxable income"?

Not all your income is subject to taxation as explained here:
You do not have to report certain amounts in your income, including the following:
•any GST/HST credit or Canada child tax benefit payments, as well as those from certain related provincial and territorial programs;

•child assistance payments and the supplement for handicapped children paid by the province of Quebec;

•compensation received from a province or territory if you were a victim of a criminal act or a motor vehicle accident;

•lottery winnings;

•most gifts and inheritances;

•amounts paid by Canada or an ally (if the amount is not taxable in that country) for disability or death due to war service;

•most amounts received from a life insurance policy following someone's death;

•most payments of the type commonly referred to as strike pay you received from your union, even if you perform picketing duties as a requirement of membership; and [...]

•most amounts received from a tax-free savings account (TFSA). For more information, see Guide RC4466, Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA), Guide for Individuals.

Other income from rent and lease, employment, self-employment and other sources are taxable though.

Generally spoken: unless you are very comfortable with what you are doing, it is a good idea to look for professional services such as H&R Block to help you with your taxes.

I hope this helps
Klaus
12/12/2014
Topic:
Applying for Travel Document - Questions

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. First off, your employment status doesn't matter in terms of applying for a travel document. What does matter though is that you simply can't apply for a travel document from within Canada (see Anna's response).
Also, you mentioned that you are a PR card holder. The purpose of a travel document is to prove that you are a Permanent Resident in case you don't have a PR card. However, since you have a PR card, why would you want to apply for a travel document? A PR card and a passport is all it takes to return to Canada.

Klaus
1/31/2015
Topic:
Time to renew PR card - When?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you don't have to apply six months before it expires, but if you need it for traveling, it certainly is a good idea to do it as soon as you can. The current processing time as of today is 152 calendar days, so if you apply for renewal on April 10, 2015 there is a good chance that you will receive your new PR card just when the old card expires.
Applying at any time later than six months before the current card expires does not cause any problems or delays other than you might not have your new PR card when the old one expires. You can apply for renewal as early as 270 days before the old card expires.

I hope this helps
Klaus
2/9/2015
Topic:
PR card category FC1/CF1

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you are still a permanent resident and your status will not be revoked for getting a divorce or separating from your wife. If you wish to stay in Canada, you may do so at your discretion, your wife has no say in it. You may also leave Canada and return whenever you like as long as you comply with the residency obligation.
Your PR-card expires in 2019, but your status does not unless you lose it for other reasons. Once you apply for a new PR card, you will get one regardless of your marital status.
Furthermore, the end of your relationship does not terminate the sponsorship. If you can't provide for yourself, your wife remains responsible for your essential needs such as food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements of everyday living. It probably doesn't matter since you have a fulltime job, but I thought I'd mention it.
2/18/2015
Topic:
PR card category FC1/CF1

Klaus
Klaus
If you applied for PR before October 25, 2012, your PR status is not conditional. If it was after October 25, 2012 (which I doubt since you wrote that you landed in September 2013) it is indeed conditional. CIC has some information about conditional PR here.
Note that your PR status does not automatically end with your relationship to your sponsor. The website states:
additional investigations may be undertaken in cases where there is reason to believe that the condition is not being met or has not been met.

So, if you were in a genuine relationship, you are not likely to lose your status even if you are a conditional PR.
2/23/2015
Topic:
Funds to Bring to Canada - Questions

Klaus
Klaus
Hi Aslam,

1. you can bring as much money as you like,
2. there are no taxes on the money you are bringing, all you need to do is to declare the funds if they exceed $10,000,
3. you can bring cash, securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills), or bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders... pretty much anything that can be used in Canada.
4. after you land, you can immediately open a bank account and transfer funds as necessary.

When I landed, I brought a recent bank statement showing sufficient funds and it was accepted.

I hope this helps
Klaus
2/23/2015
Topic:
Can my Husband stop me from Entering Canada?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

as a PR, you are free to enter Canada at your discretion. Your sponsor (I'm assuming that would be your husband) has certain obligations, no matter if you are still together. From the CIC website:
What does it mean to sponsor?

When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign a contract called an undertaking. The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support for your spouse or common#8209;law partner’s basic requirements and those of his or her dependent children.

Note: Basic requirements are food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living. Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services are also included. The undertaking guarantees that the principal applicant and his or her dependent children will not have to apply for social assistance.

This obligation ends three years after you became a permanent resident.

What should you do... let me answer that with another question: what would you like to do? If you have social ties here and perhaps a job and if you came to Canada because you wanted to, you may want to stay. If you came to Canada just because of your husband and you feel that you are better off in your home country, you may as well go back. It really is up to you to find out what works best for you.

All the best
Klaus
3/20/2015
Topic:
Counting Five Year Period

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you will find it very difficult to get an answer from someone more knowledgeable than PMM. His (or her? I have no idea) answer was accurate. Let me try to explain it in my words.
The card is always issued after you land and it expires five years after it has been issued. This is why the expiry date is later than five years after the landing date. This is not a grace period.
Neither of these dates is important when it comes to the renewal. You do not lose your PR status just because the PR card has expired. When you apply for a new PR card, CIC will check whether or not you have resided in Canada for at least 730 days in the five years prior to applying for the new card.
In your particular case, you have not been a permanent resident for five years. Therefore, CIC will check that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five years of the date you became a permanent resident.

More information can be found here.

I hope this helps
Klaus
3/21/2015
Topic:
Driver's Licence

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

there is a reciprocal agreement between Ontario and the US. You should be able to just exchange your US licence for an Ontario one. You may want to take a look at the article I have a driver's licence from another country. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?
3/23/2015
Topic:
Counting Five Year Period

Klaus
Klaus
I would be completing 730 days on 18th May. So I think I can apply for the renewal of PR card on 19th May much before the expiry of 5 year period. Am I right?

You may want to re-read what PMM quoted:
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident."

If you have been a PR for less than five years, you do not need to have accumulated 730 days when you apply, you just need to be able to accumulate 730 days during the five years after you became a permanent resident. You can apply for a new PR card nine months before it expires, so you could actually do it tomorrow if you like.

Another person's 730 days are completed on 1 October. So he can apply only on 2 october although expiry dates of both of our cards are the same. Am I right?
Same thing, the other person can apply whenever he wants because he's able to accumulate 730 days in the five years after he became a permanent resident.
3/30/2015
Topic:
Can my Husband stop me from Entering Canada?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

FC1/CF1 just means that your sponsor is your spouse.
If there is no condition 51 on it, it means you do not have conditional permanent resident status.

Klaus
5/8/2015
Topic:
Landing funds

Klaus
Klaus
Hi Chanpreet,

1. you can land anywhere in Canada, but you'll have to immigrate at the port of entry. From my own experience I can tell you that you most likely won't make your flight to Vancouver.

2. As long as the funds are transferrable you shouldn't have any problems. Just print out a bank statement and make sure that it is not older than one week when you land in Montréal.

3. see 1, immigration takes place at the first airport in Canada. The reason is that the connecting flight from Montréal to Vancouver is a domestic flight, so when you get off the plane in Vancouver, you won't even see a CIC office.

I hope this helps
Klaus
5/24/2015
Topic:
Driving in Canada on International License/Permit

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you can find some information about replacing an out-of-country driver's license here:

I have a driver's licence from another country. How do I get an Ontario driver's licence?
and here: Out of country drivers.

In short: you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. With the driving experience you have (you'll need to prove it though) you can immediately take a G road test. Make sure you pass this test as an unsuccessful G test will result in a mandatory G2 test to continue. This may have a significant impact on your insurance premiums.

When I landed in Toronto, I was able to simply exchange my foreign licence with a full G licence, but no insurance company cared for my previous 26 years experience. Long story short, my annual premium would have been more than $5000, with some companies asking more than $8000. I'm mentioning this in case you are not aware of the ridiculously high insurance premiums in Ontario. According to The Ten Most Costly Cities for Car Insurance in Canada, Torontonians pay, on average, 55 percent more than drivers anywhere else in the country. More information can be found here: Understanding Automobile Insurance. Sorry, I know this wasn't part of your question, but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case you're not aware of what to expect.
5/25/2015
Topic:

Klaus
Klaus
I'm sorry I failed to quote the content of the linked websites. Here's the first paragraph from Out of country drivers:
If you are a newcomer to Ontario and hold a driver's licence from another province or country, you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. If you hold a non-Ontario licence, you are legally allowed to drive in Ontario for 60 days before an exchange is required.

So no, you can not wait three months before you apply for an Ontario diver's licence. You don't need an International Driver's Permit either, but it sure doesn't hurt to have one as it makes things more complicated if you get pulled over and the officer can't read your licence.
5/26/2015
Topic:

Klaus
Klaus
That is correct.