Klaus

all messages by user

6/1/2015
Topic:
Travelling Without a PR card

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you are right, you don't need your PR card to enter Canada by car, however it's not a bad idea to bring your landing papers.

Safe travels,
Klaus
6/6/2015
Topic:
Landing Questions

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

a.) you don't need to bring your sponsor, your spouse or anyone else, you can land by yourself.

b.) the ENF 23 Loss of Permanent Resident Status states:
A28(2)(a)(i) and A28(2)(a)(iv)provide that each day a permanent resident is outside Canada, accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse, common-law partner, or in the case of a child, a parent with whom they ordinarily reside, is deemed a day of physical presence in Canada.
and
In the case of a permanent resident outside of Canada accompanying a Canadian Citizen, it is not necessary to determine who is accompanying whom, nor is it necessary to determine for what purpose.

So the short answer to your question is yes.

c.) not even the bank account and the SIN are essential at this time. You may as well open a bank account and get a SIN when you permanently settle in Canada. I got my SIN and my bank account the same day I applied for them.

d.) answer truthfully to each question, but don't tell them anything they are not asking for. This is not to hide information from them, it's just that they know exactly what they need, so there is no point in telling them about your plans unless they ask.

Also, the section Crossing the border: documents you need from the CIC website might be interesting for you:
Before you arrive, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typed) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as settler’s effects, showing the value, make, model and serial number, if the item has one. Divide the list into two sections: the goods you are bringing with you and the goods to follow.

Present this list to the border services officer on your first point of arrival in Canada, even if you are not bringing in any goods at that time.

You can make the process easier by completing a B4 form in advance and presenting it to the officer when you arrive. Visit the Canada Border Services Agency website to download a copy of the Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Documents (PDF, 1.95 MB).

Don't worry, you have already come this far, now the final step to land and officially become a PR is really nothing to worry about. When I landed almost three years ago there were no problems at all, the officer was relaxed and everything went smooth.
6/7/2015
Topic:
Landing Questions

Klaus
Klaus
It's actually not uncommon for new immigrants to land and then fly back to their home country to finish whatever needs to be done.

It's rather unlikely that the officer wants to see a return ticket. You're free to stay or leave anyway, so it really doesn't make any difference whether or not you have one. As for your PR card, will you have an address in Canada where they can send it? CIC will not send it to an address outside Canada.

As for the B4 form, I'm not quite sure if you actually need it if you don't intend to stay in Canada right away. The CBSA site Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada states
Before you leave for Canada, you should prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as part of your personal effects. The list should indicate the value, make, model and serial number (when applicable) of all the goods.

[...]

Divide the list into two sections. In the first section, list the goods you are bringing with you; in the second, list the goods to follow. Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement as a settler or former resident if they are on your original list.

Then again, it also states:
Under customs legislation, Settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

Since you do not yet intend to establish a residence for at least 12 months, it appears that you don't need to bring the list right away. This is just a wild guess though, maybe a moderator or someone else who is more familiar with these details than I am (PMM? MeIM?) can shed some light on it.
6/8/2015
Topic:
PR Card Renewal with anticpated travel

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

CIC offers urgent processing, the procedure is described here. But even with urgent processing, it's going to take more than just a few days. You may want to read the articles
I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?
and
Do I really need a PR card to travel back to Canada?.
6/20/2015
Topic:
Permanent Resident Card Renewal

Klaus
Klaus
Have you already checked the status of your application online?
If that doesn't give you the information you're looking for, you may want to contact the CIC call center: 1-888-242-2100
7/8/2015
Topic:
Can He give baby Canadian Citizenship?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

from “Am I Canadian?” See if you are already a citizen:
You are probably a Canadian citizen if…
•you were born in Canada,
[...]
•you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, and at least one of your parents was born in Canada,
•you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, and at least one of your parents was naturalized in Canada before your birth, or
[...]

So, based on the information you provided,no sponsoring or applying for citizenship is required. The baby already is a Canadian citizen.

8/3/2015
Topic:
What can I use as Proof of Funds?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

a recent (less than a week old) bank statement is okay as long as you can access the funds from Canada.

Klaus
8/6/2015
Topic:
Out of country 3 years with Valid PR card

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

your husband can still return to Canada without problems and continue to live there. Since he has been absent for quite a while, the officer at the border might ask some questions, but as your husband has been accompanying you (his wife, a Canadian citizen), the absence from Canada does not matter. It doesn't even matter who accompanied whom as long as you were not separated.
Just make sure that you keep an accurate record of his absences from Canada including whether or not you accompanied him. He'll need this information when he applies for a new PR card next year. Or better yet, he should apply as soon as he returns to Canada as the processing time is currently 120 calendar days (see here).

Articles about maintaining permanent residence can be found here: How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status? and here: What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?.
8/12/2015
Topic:
SIN Paper

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,
you should have received your SIN right away when you applied, thus making it possible to apply for a job as well.
There are several articles on this topic:
How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
Applying for your Social Insurance Number... Fast, simple, secure!
How do I apply for a SIN, obtain a confirmation of my SIN, or amend my SIN record (e.g., a name change)?
Did you apply for a SIN in person or via mail?
8/20/2015
Topic:
Very Old Elevators

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,
the easiest way to find out if this is a breach of safety or just an inconvenience is to check the elevator licence. If the elevator is licenced, it is considered safe.
Here's an excerpt from the
Technical Standards & Safety Authority
Q : There is no license posted in my elevator? Is the elevator unsafe?
A : The elevating device regulation requires the licence to be posted inside the elevator, however there are permissions to post licences in remote locations if permitted by the Director. There are a few reasons why the licence may not be posted; the owner may have requested to post it in a remote location for esthetics or to avoid vandalism, the superintendent or property manager has failed to post the current licence, or the elevating device does not have a valid licence. If you would like to inquire on the status of an elevator licence, you can contact:
Customer Services
Tel: 1-877-682-TSSA (8772)
Email: [email protected]
I hope this helps.
8/22/2015
Topic:
Same Digits? - OHIP and SIN

Klaus
Klaus
I don't know what a health card from Alberta looks like, but the numbers on my OHIP card and my SIN card are not the same. The OHIP health card has the following syntax: 1111 - 111 - 111 - aa whereas the SIN number is a nine-digit number (111 111 111).
8/23/2015
Topic:
PR Status - Can I leave Canada?

Klaus
Klaus
Not a problem in terms of your PR status, just make sure you reside in Canada for at least 2 years in each 5-year period. After you return to Canada, you'll probably need to buy private health insurance until you get covered by the Alberta counterpart of OHIP.
9/14/2015
Topic:
Landing - How Long does it Take?

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

30 minutes are a pretty close call for a family of four, even if you bring all the documents they're asking for to avoid any delays. However, there's a good chance that there are other immigrants waiting to go through the landing process. You might end up waiting an hour or two before it's your turn.

Have a safe flight
Klaus
10/4/2015
Topic:
Residency Requirements for Permanent Residents

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

this is explained here:
[h4]Minimum residency obligations[/h4]
[h5]You must meet the residency obligation to obtain a Permanent Resident Card.[/h5]
If you have been a permanent resident for five (5) years or more
•you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
•you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
4/15/2016
Topic:
PR card has Not arrived Yet

Klaus
Klaus
Hi Vivek,

as of right now, the processing time is 56 days, so there's nothing to worry about yet.