Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

5/1/2015
Topic:
Can sponsored spouse work upon arriving in Canada?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen that has been living outside of Canada (Poland) for about 12 years and have gotten married and had a child (now 5 years old) in the meantime. My family and I would like to emigrate to Canada and I would like to sponsor my wife from outside of Canada, which I read is possible. However, I wanted to know if my wife can work upon arrival in Canada? I know that I must confirm that I can support them for some time but if my wife chooses to, can she go to work once we arrive in Canada?

Would be grateful for a reply as I cannot find this information anywhere.

Matthew

1. If she "lands" in Canada as a Permanent Resident, then she only have to go to Service Canada to get a SIN and she can start work immediately.

PMM
5/8/2015
Topic:
Landing funds

PMM
PMM
Hi

Dear Team,

Greetings !!!

I need one help. I am going to land Canada on 17 May 2015. I have some concerns. I got PR for FSW2014.

1. I booked my ticket from India to Canada but i have stay in Montreal but i don't have letter to declare ( only 2 hour stay in Montreal). But my final destination is Vancouver. Is it OK or i have to change my ticket?

2. I have INR funds in my bank account and i can transfer funds to Canadian account through online also. So, bank statements will be accepted as a proof of funds?

3. My immigration will be over in Montreal (landing first) or Vancouver ( final destination)?

Your information will be highly appreciated.

Chanpreet

1. You may not have sufficient time in Montreal to "land" and get your connecting flight to Vancouver. It all depends on how busy it is. I would consider getting a later Montreal/Vancouver flight.
2. Yes, they should be acceptable, carry a recent copy of your bank statement.
3. You will "land" in Montreal.

PMM
5/8/2015
Topic:
Entering Canada without valid PR or Travel Doc

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello! I've searched everywhere to find a solution, but wasn't able to and ended up here.

My family applied for PR renewal last summer and received the letter telling us to come pick them up in December.

I picked up mine without any issues, but my mom, who was out of country at that time, wasn't able to make the date and is now waiting for the second letter (which apparently is sent within 6 months).

The issue I see here is that her PR card already expired, making her entry to Canada problematic. We have looked up how to apply for permanent resident travel document (for those outside Canada with expired or lost PR card), but it takes 3 weeks from where we apply and requests the actual copy of passport.

I'm very hesitant to apply for this, because the letter can come at anytime now and she won't be able to travel at all without her passport.

From the first letter, I see that they give about 2 weeks of notice until the appointment date, which is still shorter than the time it takes for us to get the travel document.

I feel like we're out of options now. I'm personally hoping that the second letter itself (if it arrives, that is) would be somewhat sufficient at letting her in at the airport, but CIC obviously said no when I called them this morning.

Has anyone here seen or heard of someone who successfully entered Canada without valid PR and travel document? I am expecting 'troubles' but will the officers at the airport send her back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if I explained everything sufficiently; please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you everyone in advance for your time and effort!

1. If you mother is NOT from a visa exempt country, she will require a TD to return to Canada. The letter is not sufficient.
2. Note she still has to meet her residency obligations.

PMM
5/9/2015
Topic:
Pre Test RQ

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi friends,
I landed in Aug. 2008. Basic residency met. But i don't meet the critera of physical presence. As the citizenship rules may change soon, I have taken an opportunity to apply for citizenship with out meeting physical presence. Just wanted to try my luck! Please note that my wife and children are already Citizen as they never left Canada after arrival. Below is my timeline:
-Applied for citizenship in October 2014
-Received RQ and finger print request in January 2015
-Submitted RQ response and finger print in February 2015
-I received a letter for citizenship test on 6th May 2015, the test has been scheduled on 19th May 2015 at Scarborough.

While I am glad that the process was fast, however, I would like to know what does it mean? Do you think that my RQ response was satisfactory that why CIC called me for test event I don't meet physical presence? If I pass the test, will I be called for oath without hearing by citizenship judge?

I will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

1. These days if you don't have physical presence and apply you will most likely be referred to a Citizenship Judge. This is going to add quite a bit of time to your application, count on up to a year for a hearing.
2. In most instances, somewhere north of 90% the Judge will refused based on lack of physical presence. Very few judges will take the Koo standard, which looks at establishment. The ones who past that test, these days, are usually truckers who work internationally.
3. You can probably count on having your application refused, and then re-applying under the new rules.

PMM
5/10/2015
Topic:
Only Received Children's PR cards

PMM
PMM
Hi

Dear,

I landed in Canada on March 19th 2015. I gave the address of my aunt for the submission of PR cards as I had moved out of Canada for some settlement issues after 20 days.

She informed me that she had received the PR Cards of my children but not mine and my wife.

Somebody please assist what should I do now to get my PR card.

Regards

1. Wait a week 10 days, they are all sent out separately. If there is a problem, CIC will send you a letter.

PMM
5/12/2015
Topic:
Renew PR card - Questions

PMM
PMM
Hi

I had applied for a renewal of my PR card on 11th of march 2015 and the time for processing as mentioned in the CIC website is 65 days and I still have not recieved my PR card.

what can I do?

Plz help me.

1. Well since there only 62 days from the 11th of March, (assuming it was received on the 11th) and the processing time is 65 days and then it has to be mailed.
2. You could wait 3/4 days and then call the call centre.

PMM
5/28/2015
Topic:
Volunteering Overseas with Canadian Registered NGO

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. I believe the OP was inquiring regarding Citizenship rather than PR requirements. The overseas assignment either as an employee or volunteer will not count towards residency requirement for citizenship.

PMM
5/28/2015
Topic:
Sponsorship Application - Share with CIC?

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. The OP has no choice to inform CIC by amending the application. Failure to declare the 2 year overstay in the UK, plus not supplying an Acro certificate, can result in a finding of misrepresentation which results in a 5 year ban from Canada.

PMM
5/30/2015
Topic:
Missed Oath Ceremony - Citizenship - 30 March 2014

PMM
PMM
Hi

Im in the same situation. Missed my oath last week because of letter not received. Do they reshedule because of this reason or call it negligence?

1. Here is what CIC states:

"Ceremony (oath) No-Show

Applicants are given one opportunity to appear for their citizenship ceremony and take the oath of citizenship using notice CIT 0024. Those who do not attend their ceremony will not be rescheduled automatically into a new event.

Applicants who do not or cannot attend their event must notify CIC within 30 days from the date of their event. Applicants must provide a reasonable excuse for not being able to attend their event or for missing their event.

2. Note you have 30 days from the Oath date to contact CIC with a reasonable excuse, if your excuse is not accepted or it is longer than 30 days, your application will be considered abandoned.

PMM
5/30/2015
Topic:
Child born to Permanent Resident outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. No, they don't receive citizenship directly.
2. You will need to sponsor them, and you will have to be in Canada to sponsor them. You will have to apply for a TRV and that is refused, then request a TRP(Permit). If that is refused, then you will have to return to Canada and sponsor them while they reside abroad.
3. Once they are PRs, you can apply for their citizenship as minors don't require the (present) 3 years residency to apply if one parent is a citizen.

PMM
5/30/2015
Topic:
Add a Newborn Baby

PMM
PMM
Hi

i called but they sent a link for the forms and did not provide too much information in this link. Anyone can explain the form which i have to use or where i have to send these all forms.
Thank Yoyu

1. Once the child is born, you have to add the child to the sponsorship and application by amending the IMM 008 the IMM 1344, Imm 5406. Pay the fee, have a passport, get the child medically examined.

PMM
6/3/2015
Topic:
Undeclared Parents

PMM
PMM
HI

1. It depends what did you write in the Parents Name section of the IMM 5406. CIC wouldn't have accepted it if was blank

PMM
6/9/2015
Topic:
PR Card Renewal with anticpated travel

PMM
PMM
HI

I am a PR of Canada since 2009 but could not complete 730 days in last 5 years. Now im outside of Canada and PR has expired. I applied for Travel Document which is rejected last week stating that I did not met residency obligation.

My family is there in Canada and I am desperate to go there. I am sick without family. Please help me as what to do now.

Shakeel

1. when the TD was refused, you should have been given instructions on how to appeal the refusal to the IAD within 60 days.
2. That is probably your only hope.

PMM
6/10/2015
Topic:
How can I Categorize these Items?

PMM
PMM
HI

how to categorize items that are rubbing alcohol, lotions,perfumes,shampoo,bath soap,face powder,creams or diaper rash creams,
and how about diapers?

AnnN

1. x boxes of household supplies Nil value.

PMM
6/18/2015
Topic:
Sponsorship Application - Questions

PMM
PMM
Hi

Good Afternoon

A friend of mine, who is a Canadian citizen, met my sister while he was on vacation in Colombia

My sister has a 9 years old daughter and my friend wants to marry her, adopt her daughter and bring them both to canada

So we would like to know if:

1. Does he has to marry my sister in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

2. Does has to legally adopt the child first in Colombia before doing the application for family sponsorship

thanks a lot

1. They have to be married or have lived together for 1 year before he can sponsor her.
2. No the child doesn't have to be adopted, she is included in the application as a dependent of her mother.
3. Note, the mother will have to prove custody and the ability to have the child emigrate from Colombia, either a court order or notarized permission of the father.

PMM