1/4/2022
Topic:
Immigration procedure at initial place of arrival

PMM
PMM
Hi

Austin2004 wrote:
Dear All,

For the COPR immigration procedure at Toronto Pearson Airport are they open 24hours? Do we need to consider what time to arrive in Toronto to ensure we can get processed? I think they should be open to process immigration arrivals so long as the airport is open. However would like to confirm if my understanding is correct?

Thank you,

1. CBSA is there for processing when any international flight arrives.
1/24/2022
Topic:
Landing Date

PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
What is the official landing date for applicants outside of Canada? Is it (A) first date of entry to Canada with COPR after COPR is issued? Or (B) date COPR is generated and mailed from the visa office to the applicant?

1, First date of entry to Canada with COPR.
1/28/2022
Topic:
Bringing money after PR

PMM
PMM
Hi

Eugene wrote:
Hello,
I want to bring cash on my second enter to Canada after 2 years after first enter,
but I haven't decelerated that I willing to bring money in future when I landen at first time.
Will I need to pay any taxes on money that I haven't declared at first landing? Thank you very much!

1. No. Unless the funds were from investments after "landing"

2. Also, if you have an overseas residence and sell it some time after "landing" the difference in value from the date of "landing" to the date you sell, may be subject to capital gains tax.
3/1/2022
Topic:
PR CARD EXPIRED BEFORE 2 YEARS

PMM
PMM
Hi

RIMA2022 wrote:
Hello,

My PR card expired in Sep 2020. By that time I could not apply for renewal because I had not stayed in Canada enough (2 years in 5 years).
But before the expiration of the card I came back to Canada and have settled here.
So I would like to know how I can apply for its renewal now? Is there any special thing to do?
My other question is: Does biometry needed for its renewal? I have not done it before.

Regards,

Rima2022

1. As long as you are in compliance with your RO, i.e. 2 years residence in the past 5 years, you can apply for renewal of your PR card. You have to prove your compliance.

2. Follow the instructions in the checklist, Biometrics are not required.
3/2/2022
Topic:
Sending Off PR Application While Abroad

PMM
PMM
Hi

JR wrote:
I am a Canadian. My 2 children are Canadians. My wife is Taiwanese with a PR card. We left Canada for a 9 month trip to Taiwan on 09/2019 — a few months before the pandemic started. We have been staying in Taiwan since with fear of coming in contact with the virus. My wife’s PR card expired 09/2020. We will be returning back to Canada in 05/2022. We have already sent off the request for a PR travel document— we should be getting that in a few weeks.

My question is — can we send in the PR renewal application while we are abroad with the intent to speed up the process? We have a Canadian address, and we would physically pick up the PR card when in Canada. I am aware it takes approx 120 processing time. I am hoping to send in the PR renewal application in 03/2022 so that my wife can pick it up shortly after we arrive in Canada. I was told by the Canadian Trade Office here in Taipei that this was possible. Please confirm.

Thank you~~

1. No, you have to be physically resident in Canada to submit a PR card application.
3/22/2022
Topic:
PR card renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

Ruzena wrote:
Hi there,

I'm a permanent resident and my card will be expired in November 2022. I want to apply for renewal in April 2022. My question is can I travel outside of Canada while my new PR card will be in the process? I want to travel in July or August proximally for one month.

Thank you
Ruzena

1. Yes, as you return within the validity of the card, you won't require a Permanent Resident TD.
3/28/2022
Topic:
Visa For Child Born Outside Canada To PRs

PMM
PMM
Hi

Jason_1382 wrote:
My wife, myself & my 2 children (Daughter 5 years & Son 3 years) are all Canadian PR's since Sep 2019.
We are Indian Nationals living in Singapore.
We are expecting our third child in November 2022.
We plan on moving to Canada in April 2023.
1) How can we bring our third child to Canada with us, since he/she will not be a Canadian PR? Can we immediately apply for a TRV for the new child when he/she is born and what are the chances that the TRV will be granted in 4 months?
2) Can we apply a tourist visa for the child and bring them into Canada on that ?

1. In your previous post you said that you left Canada 15 days after "landing". To maintain your PR status you must return to Canada before October 2022. To maintain your PR status you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.

2. If you wait until April 2023, it is unlikely your child would receive a TRV are you and your family would no longer be in compliance of your RO.
5/13/2022
Topic:
Renewal of PR status for expired PR for parents

PMM
PMM
Hi

happy_canadian1 wrote:
Can someone please let me know the Forms that need to be filled out for renewal of PR while outside Canada ?

Thanks

Faiz

1. They can't renew their PR cards outside Canada, so there are no forms.
2. They can apply for PR Travel Document, but since they don't meet their Residency obligations, it would have to be on Humanitarian Grounds.
3. If they are refused, they will be given the right of appeal.
4. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html
5/20/2022
Topic:
PR Card Renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

Jason_1382 wrote:
My wife, myself & my 2 children (Daughter 5 years & Son 3 years) are all Canadian PR's since Sep 2019.
We are Indian Nationals living in Singapore.
We have done our first entry (stayed for just 15 days in Canada).
Our PR cards expire in Oct 2024.
We plan on moving to Canada in April 2023.

Question:

1) Would this affect our PR status since we will not have 730 days of stay in Canada when our cards expire? I read online that we do not need to renew our PR cards if we do not need to leave the country and we can wait until we have the 730 days and then renew the cards. Is this possible?

1. You are leaving it to too late if you intend to return in April 2023 as you will not have met your Residency obligations. You must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. To be able to meet your RO you must return to Canada Sept. 2022. If you don't there is a chance that you will be reported on entry for not meeting your RO.

2. If you are reported, you will have 30 days to appeal and if you lose the appeal, you lose your PR status.
7/8/2022
Topic:
Can I ask to revoke her work permit?

PMM
PMM
Hi

eiseneim wrote:
Hi everyone. I came to Quebec as an international student. I left my girlfriend in my country. And came back after 6 months to marry her. She apply for a work permit to come to Canada. Her request was accepted. But as soon as she arrived in Canada, she told me that she is not interested in sex anymore. She is not here to care of a husband. She was never interested in mariage. One month later I discover some strange conversation between in one of my friends who lives in Quebec (like there has been something between them). Bottom line is there no marital life between us. I start think that she only married me just to come to Canada.
My question is, can I ask IRCC to revoke her work permit? Since I cannot force her to leave Canada.

1. No.
2. If you separate, you can inform CIC that you are no longer common/law and her SOWP would not be renewed, but you have to separate.
7/8/2022
Topic:
Receiving a PR card once landed

PMM
PMM
Hi

Ancikina wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me with understanding how can I receive my PR card under the urgent process. I have landed in Toronto three days ago and I will be able to stay here for around 6 weeks. As my PR took too long to be approved, I need to go back to my home country and finish my work contract with my current company and all I got for activating my PR status is 6 weeks off.

The immigration person on the border, who was really polite, told me that there is a way I could send my passport to Ottawa and receive a PR visa with which I could travel back to my country and later on back to Canada, but I didn't manage to find more information online.

I was also wondering if it is possible to give my friends postal address to receive my PR card if it arrives once I am back in my country.

Thank you in advance!

1. The Customs officer was wrong. You can only get a PR Travel Document overseas.
2. There is no urgent processing for the initial PR card, the posted processing time is 65 days.
3. Yes you can give your friends address and s/he can forward the card to you.
8/15/2022
Topic:
Citizenship for child

PMM
PMM
Hi

Johnv wrote:
Hello,
I’m a naturalised Canadian along with my parents (we were naturalised at the same time 30+ yrs ago).

Both myself and my parents were born outside Canada.

Will my child who is born outside Canada receive automatic citizenship?

1. No, as they would be 2nd generation born abroad.
8/16/2022
Topic:
Citizenship for child

PMM
PMM
Hi

Johnv wrote:
I’ve been receiving differing views in this. Even though I was also born outside Canada I’ve never received citizenship through descent and am a naturalised citizen.
So would my child not be considered first generation?

1. If you received your citizenship through naturalization, i.e. permanent residence, then citizenship. Then if the child was born after you received your citizenship then s/he would be the first generation born abroad and could apply for citizenship

"were born outside Canada and at least 1 of your parents (legal parent at birth [opens in a new tab] or biological parent) either
  • was born in Canada, or
  • became a naturalized citizen before you were born"

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html
9/11/2022
Topic:
Do I need to register my marriage?

PMM
PMM
Hi

jasonesperadii wrote:
Hi,

I am a Pakistani national and currently an International student in living in Toronto. I recently got married with a Canadian citizen who is also from a Pakistani origin. My marriage is registered with the Canadian marriage registry in Calgary. However, we both live together in Toronto after the marriage. Now I am going to apply for the PR process on the sponsorship of my wife. So, may I need to register my marriage with the Pakistani embassy in order to show the evidence that our marriage is registered in the origin country as well. This is because the PR process requires so much evidence to prove it's a legal marriage apart from the event pics, social media pics, Canadian marriage registration document, etc.

I would like to have the opinion of the this online community.

I will appreciate your timely response.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

1/ No, If the marriage was registered in Calgary, it is a valid marriage.
2/ CIC might have questions if there was No Nikahnama
9/12/2022
Topic:
730 days in Canada for PR extension?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Abdulaali786 wrote:
Hi, I have PR and it expires in July'23. I have been in Canada only for 10 days so far. We are expecting a baby this december and planning to move to Canada in January. Will there be any issue considering my situation that i haven't met 730 days in Canada for PR extension?

1. Yes, you could be reported for not meeting your PR obligations on Entry
2. If your child requires a TRV (visitor visa) to enter Canada then with you an you wife not meeting PR then it is unlikely to issued.
3. Your only hope is that you can get into Canada without be reported and then wait until you have 730 days residency to apply for a new PR card. and sponsor your child.