Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

2/4/2020
Topic:
If I apply for a PRTD do I lose my PR status?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Nicolas wrote:
I am plannig to apply for a PRTD but can I lose my PR status if the application get refused?

I want to have my PRTD to go back to Canada but my marital status has change, now I am married, does this affect?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

1. No. As long as you are in compliance with your residency obligations, the PRTD will be issued. Your martial state has no effect, unless your spouse is a Canadian citizen.
2/5/2020
Topic:
Citizenship application - initial confirmation

PMM
PMM
Hi

Guj2019 wrote:
Hey,

I had applied for canadian citizenship almost a month ago - in all my previous interactions with the Canadian immigration (work permit, pr etc) i would receive the initial confirmation of acceptance of application max by 2-3 weeks. however, i have not received any email, although, i did send the application via courier and have the signed copy from the courier indicating the application was delivered.

If anybody here could advise how long it usually takes? and if the form of communication is usually email (if provided) or mail?

Thanks in advance for all your help :)

1. 2-3 months usually for an AOR
2/6/2020
Topic:
Travelling within Canada with an expired PRC

PMM
PMM
HI

nevillestoke wrote:
I have an expired PRC, but I assume that it is okay to fly within Canada. I need to travel to Nova Scotia for a work-related reason. If anyone can confirm or direct me to a resource I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1. PR Card not required for travel in Canada
2/19/2020
Topic:
Biometrics

PMM
PMM
Hi

Britty wrote:
Hi everyone,

I really would love some help on this question. If anyone has any experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

My spouse from Italy wants to know if he has to get his biometrics in his home country (at an office there), or can he do it while he is visiting in Canada with me?

Hope it does not seem like a silly question, but he isn't sure and we see a lot of contradictory opinions on other forums.

Thank you

Britty

1. He can do it in Canada, but he needs an appointment letter from CIC. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2019-biometric-exemption-removed.html
3/5/2020
Topic:
Permanent Residency staying outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

Parneet wrote:
Hi

My query is that how long I can stay outside Canada? Currently I am in India since 22nd Oct 2019.

Below is my history in Canada

22nd August 2016 - landed as student
Applied my PR in July 2018
Got my COPR in February 2019
Did landing process on 17th May 2019
Got my PR card on 10th July 2019
Left Canada on 21st oct 2019 for India
Canada stay duration from 22nd August 2016 - 20th oct 2019 (3years and 2months)

I am returning back to Canada on 26th April 2020, so it would be a stay of six month and three days in India. Would it affect my Permanent Residency status? Should I inform any official body regarding the total duration of my stay outside Canada?

Thank you!

1. To maintain your PR status, you have to spend a total of 2 years in Canada between 17/May/19 and 17/May/24
2, Days prior to you becoming a PR are not counted.

3. You don't inform anyone, other than your PRovincial health.
3/9/2020
Topic:
Potential citizenship for granddaughter of citizen

PMM
PMM
Hi

johnsmom59 wrote:
My grandmother was a Canadian citizen, born in 1876. In doing research on my genealogy, I found out that I potentially might be able to have dual citizenship due to the born before 2009 rule. What paperwork would I need as she was born during a time when there is only records online and what would I download to send in for being considered for citizenship? Thank you in advance, I have always loved and visited Canada often, its nice to know my family had roots there.

1. Take the "Am I a Canadian citizen test:https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/default.aspx
2. If neither of your parents claimed citizenship, it is unlikely you are a citizen.
3/9/2020
Topic:
Permanent Residence Status for spouse

PMM
PMM
Hi

Atul suthar wrote:
Sir have a nice day ..my self Atulkumar and I was in Calgary since 2007 as cabinetmaker ( work permit) then I became permanent resident in 2009 and I was in Calgary within five years , more than 730 days and l had applied my PR Card for renewal in August 2014 then I left Canada in 2015 February.. and I got email in 2016 from CIC Calgary that mention in your PR card ready to pick up so I had applied PRTD from India but reply was that you have to appeal IAD but I didn't because I don't know about process of appeal so please help me can I Reapply to IAD ? to get back my PR status please let me know and guide me how to get and reply me as soon as possible......,........... thank you so much

1. If you applied for a PRTD and were refused, you were given the right of appeal. If you didn't appeal within 30 days, your PR was lost, and you are no longer a Permanent Resident of Canada.

2. To return to Canada, you would have to apply and qualify for Permanent resident again.
3/11/2020
Topic:
Sponsoring Spouse after CoPR and before landing

PMM
PMM
Hi

avsubram wrote:
I applied for Canadian PR as a single applicant through FSW Express Entry and received my CoPR and Travel Document printed on my Passport in January. I am an Indian citizen living in USA currently. I have not yet landed in Canada. I am getting married end of March and I want to include my Spouse to my PR application. I understand that this would mean I would have to return my passport back to IRCC and get my CoPR cancelled and submit additional documents. What I am not sure is when I need to inform IRCC about this change in marital status. Is it better to wait until after I get married to notify them or can I notify them about my upcoming marriage? I will not be able to submit my passport back to IRCC before I get married. Hence, I am not sure which should happen first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. CIC doesn't need to be informed until you are married.
3/25/2020
Topic:
Dual nationality

PMM
PMM
Hi

PthenT wrote:
Can Someone have dual nationality in Canada as I have heard that places such as India do nt allow this?

1. Canada allows dual citizenship, but a number of countries don't. For example if you are an Indian citizen, and then take out Canadian citizenship, you have 3 months to inform the Indian gov't. You then can obtain an OCI visa (Overseas Indian Citizen) that allows you to travel freely to India and reside there. But there are restrictions:

Restrictions imposed on OCI holders • Persons registered as OCI have not been given any voting rights; they are not allowed to stand for election to Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and Legislative Assembly/Council. • They cannot hold constitutional posts such as President, Vice President, and Judge of Supreme Court/High Court etc. • OCI card holders cannot purchase agricultural or farm lands
4/2/2020
Topic:
Oath event cancelled and postponed

PMM
PMM
HI

radawoud wrote:
my Oath event scheduled on last 20 of March which was cancelled due to current situation (COVID-19), I received the cancellation email on 14th of March and a new date shall be scheduled later on.
On March 30th(after ten days after the cancelled Oath ceremony date) I found my case changed from decision made to in process but there is no additional note or email regarding that .is that normal. Thank you

1, Normal.
4/5/2020
Topic:
Voluntarily Renounce PR Status

PMM
PMM
Hi

Shahzad Farooq wrote:
Hi,
I voluntarily renounced my PR Status in 2019. I had to renounce my PR due to issues in my home country.My wife and daughter are Canadian Citizens.

However, I have resolved my issues and I wish to re-apply for PR so I can live with my family in Canada. I have a 10 year visa visit Canada.

Do I have to apply from the beginning, or is there a way I can resume my previous PR status. And complete my time period in Canada for PR from now onwards.?

Please help me to understand this process,
Thank you,
Shahzad Farooq

1. No, you can't resume your PR status once renounced.
2. You have to start from the beginning, your spouse can sponsor you.
4/30/2020
Topic:
Passport during Citizenship test

PMM
PMM
Hi

eric1973 wrote:
I was wondering if I'm still allowed to attend the citizenship test with my passport which has been expired. Because of this pandemic, the embassy has stopped renewing passports; so I cannot apply for my new passport in time.
Meanwhile I can bring other identity documents such like driver license / healthy card/PR card and my expired passport, which all includes the stamps that my application specified.

1. It is not necessary to have a valid passport to attend the test.
5/16/2020
Topic:
Can I land in one city and live in another?

PMM
PMM
Hi

ralirehmani wrote:
Hi, I am from Atlanta USA, I have approved PR under parent sponsorship visa, deadline to land on 12 june, my sponsor my daughter lives in vancouver, but due to present situation of COVID 19 it would be difficult for me to fly and expose during my flight, I am 68 and my wife 65 on high risk, so i was thinking to drive to toronto via buffalo border, is it possible for me to do so ? can I get my BANK ACCOUNT, SIN NUMBER and Other formalities done in Toronto ? please advise. thanks

1. Yes, but you probably should consider having your COPR extended if the Border is still closed to non essential travel See:
Approved permanent resident applicants with expired or expiring documents If we already approved your permanent resident application but you can't travel to Canada before your documents expire, use the Web form to tell us why you can’t travel.
Once it’s possible for you to travel, use the Web form to let us know so we can tell you what to do next.

2. If you arrive in Canada, you will have to go into isolation for 14 days, if you don;t have a viable isolation plan, you will not be admitted. Directly to isolation, no stopping for shopping.
3 You can no longer apply for a SIN in person, you have to do it by mail.
6/2/2020
Topic:
Calculate Points in OINP FSWP

PMM
PMM
Hi

carloshleonel wrote:
Hello,
I’d like to know how I could calculate the points of Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) which may be at least “67 points on the six selection factors (education, language skills, work experience, age, arranged employment in Canada and adaptability)”, according to https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-express-entry-human-capital-priorities-stream .
Best regards,

Carlos Leonel

1. Start here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
to see if you qualify for express entry. Minimum of 67 points to apply for express entry.

2. If you qualify for express entry, you use the tool here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp estimate you English/French ability and your education qualifications (as you don't want to pay the IELTs/CELPIP or TEF for language or ECA for the education equivalent) if you don't get about 465-470 points which is around the usual cut off for Express Entry to qualify.
6/4/2020
Topic:
PR status of landed immigrant in 1994

PMM
PMM
Hi

snakek18380 wrote:
Hi
I am asking for my aunt.

She landed in 1994 and left Canada 1997. She never applied fro the citizenship. Can she come back as a permanent resident? She is going to stay in Canada and not planning to leave.

Totally understand that there are residency requirement but it was in force in 2002. I tried to find any reference that fit her situation but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

1. The Residency Obligation is 2 years residence in every 5 year period. It is obvious your Aunt (unless she is living overseas with a Canadian spouse) is well outside that.
2. She has two options. She can apply for Permanent Residence Travel Document, and unless there are humanitarian or compassionate reasons why she has been outside Canada for 23 years, it will be refused, she would be able to appeal.
She can fly into the US and try crossing the Canadian border, and if she is not reported (note she can't bring all her worldly possessions) she would have remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving to bring her RO into compliance. Note it is going to be difficult to cross a land border without a PR card.

3. Since she doesn't have a PR card (didn't start to issue them until 2002) she would find it difficult to obtain medical from the provinces.