10/2/2019
Topic:
Renouncing of PR Status

PMM
PMM
Hi

manjitvirk wrote:
Hello,
I got PR in year 2003. Due to certain reasons was not able to maintain PR. In July 2019 I applied for Temporary Resident VISA for CANADA.

Visa officer, saying that since U R permanent resident of Canada, we cannot issue U temporary visa. He gave me options to either renounce PR or reapply or leave both.

As I did not met resident obligations in last 16years so I opted Renouncing of my PR and Visa Officer issued me multi entry Temporary Resident Visa till expiry of my passport ie till 2021. I M in Canada these days.

My question now is,

Can I reapply or request Visa Officer to reconsider my case of PR which I renounced 2months ago.

1. No, it is too late, you were given the opportunity to apply for a PRTD, and if refused, be given appeal rights. You choose to renounce your PR status.
2. You would have to apply and qualify again for PR.
10/23/2019
Topic:
Sponsor Children-Automatically Canadian Citizens?

PMM
PMM
Hi

zeeshan ahmed wrote:
Hello Sir,

I became a Canadian citizen last year June 2018 but due to some irreconcilable differences with my wife she opted for divorce we got separated in last Sept-2019 in India.

She was also a permanent resident as both of us were landed immigrants in 2010 she didn't stay much in Canada and her Permanent residency got expired long before we got divorced she is not interested to come to Canada which is one of the reasons for our differences and

I would like to know what will happen if I remarry and I have my new wife and children will the children of my new wife automatically become Canadian citizens as I am a Canadian citizen.

Please reply to my query.

Thanks.

1. No, they will not become Canadian citizens automatically. You would have to sponsor them for permanent residence. As you are a Step parent, they could not apply for Citizenship without meeting the physical requirement of residing in Canada.
10/25/2019
Topic:
New Arrival PR card

PMM
PMM
Hi

abhidarekar wrote:
Hi,
Me and my wife landed in Canada on 5th October.

It's been more than two weeks now and I have not received my PR card nor any update if it's even couriered.

Normally how much time does it take?

Should I wait another week? or do I need to contact someone?

if so could any proved me any way to get this information.

1. The posted processing time is 19 days plus mailing time. So you still have time to wait.
10/29/2019
Topic:
Re-Entry without PR Card

PMM
PMM
HI

maverick1 wrote:
Hi
Need help !!

I have a situation as I , my wife and my 11 years old daughter are PR's of Canada ( SINP Nomination ) since 30th Sep'2017. We landed in Sep'17 and after staying in Canada ( Toronto ) till 3rd Nov '17 came back to India.

Now my wife is expecting and the delivery date is in March'19.Request for your inputs and advise on the following scenario.

We were thinking of having the delivery done in India and after that move to Canada in June'20.Wanted to know as to what will be the procedure of taking the child along with us.

What would be the best option for us keeping in mind your interactions on this forum?

Thanks !!

1,. Your only choice is to apply for a TRV for the child, if it is refused then a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) If both are refused the only option is for 1 PR parent to return to Canada and apply to sponsor the child.
10/30/2019
Topic:
Question about PR and Living outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

Abdul403 wrote:
Greetings,

I am a Canadian Citizen, my wife failed to pass the Citizen Exam (she lived 6 years in Canada) and the judge didn’t approve her case in 2011. She is living with me outside of Canada since 2011.
Can she apply for the exam now without meeting the 730 days during the last five years?
Best Regards

Abdul

1. No, Citizenship requires Physical presence in Canada (Adult) of 3 years in the past 5 years on the date of the application.
11/1/2019
Topic:
Returning to Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

CynCardew wrote:
I'm a Canadian married to an English man (UK) and together we have 2 Canadian Children, both born in Canada. We've lived in France for 7 years.

My husband had a Permanent Resident Card in Canada but as it had expired while we were living in France, as we were planning a visit back to Canada, he needed to renounce it in order to apply for an ETA. We plan on moving back permanently next year, will he have to reapply for a Permanent Resident Card all over again?
If yes, can he start the application process from France before our return? Knowing he'd have to go back to Canada for appointments or signing paperwork.
For me and the kids, do we just start on paperwork (licence, healthcard etc) once we return?

Thanks for any help or advice.

1. No, the PR card is only the indication that a person has PR status, your spouse renounced his PR status. (He didn't have to do that, as he was accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse residing abroad he would have maintained his PR status, and only would have required a PR Travel Document to return to Canada) But that's water under the bridged.
2. You will have to sponsor him. As a Canadian citizen residing abroad you can start the process, but will have to demonstrate what steps you have made to return to Canada if he is issued a PR visa (COPR). \
3. If you sponsor abroad, any interviews would be held at the overseas processing office.

4. You and your children will (depending) on the Province where you intend to settle, will most likely have a 3 months waiting period for Health Insurance after your arrival. Depending on what Drivers License you hold, it will be a straight swap for a Provincial DL. DLs that can be swapped

• Austria

• Australia

• France

• Germany

• Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey

• Ireland

• Japan

• Netherlands

• Except former territories in Antilles: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius, and St. Maarten.

• New Zealand

• South Korea (not motorcycles)

• Switzerland

• Taiwan (not motorcycles)

11/1/2019
Topic:
PR Card: Deadline to Move to Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

samuel wrote:
Hi,
I live in France with my canadian wife and canadian kids and we're planning to move to Canada.
I just received the permanent residence status, and the embassy informed me by email that I had to arrive in Canada before May 22nd.
It may be a bit too early for us (we are expecting kids, etc).
I read that time spent abroad with a canadian spouse could be taken into consideration.
Does that mean that we can postpone our arrival in Canada?
If so, should we do something specific ?
Your answer would be really helpful.
Regards,

Samuel

1. It does, for Permanent Residents, but you are not a permanent resident, as you have not "landed" in Canada.

2. You could fly to Canada and "land" and return to France, but otherwise it is a case of "use it or lose it" by May 22nd.
11/18/2019
Topic:
How long after landing can I sponsor my family ?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Lahbib70 wrote:
Hi,

The things you need to look at are; whether you PR card expired or not yet. If it's already expired, are you able to renew it?
If it is expired and you cannot renew it because of residency requirements, that would be a sign that an immigration officer would probably refuse your application to sponsor for residency reasons.
You can always contact IRCC customer services for current information about your issue.
Thank you
Lahbib
I_miss_soccer wrote:
Hi Lahbib

I am not sure. I had no issues when I landed. In the last few months, I have had no issues re-instating my SIN number, Health Cover, Driving Licence, etc. Also, I've not had any issues with my employment or anything else.

1. Agree with Lahbib. You can't sponsor your spouse and children until you are in compliance with your Residence Obligations, in other words, May 2021. If you try prior to this, there is a good chance the application would be refused, and CIC would take steps to report you for non compliance of your RO.
12/5/2019
Topic:
Permanent resident

PMM
PMM
HI

Shyramos18 wrote:
Hi I landed in canada last year july 2018, and got my first vacation back home for two & a half month with my canadian born baby . Recently im here in canada but I'm planning to leave outside canada for one year straight next year . Will my permanent residence affect, if I leave canada for a whole year ? And do I need to file my income tax return while im outside canada, and how ? What about my heatlh card is it going to expire if im not living in canada ? Hope to hear you soon thank you .

1. As long as you meet the residency obligation to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period, you should be fine.
2. Note, you will not longer be eligible for the Child Tax Credit and you should inform CRA to stop it before you leave.
3. Unless you declare that you are non residence of Canada (no ties at all to Canada) you will have to report your overseas income.
4. Your health insurance will expire within 3-6 months of your leaving Canada, depending on the Province. You will also have a 3 month waiting period once you return to re-instate your health insurance.
12/27/2019
Topic:
Returning to Canada - PR card application

PMM
PMM
HI

Tobias Cardew wrote:
Good Morning

We, (my family and I) are now able to return to living in Ontario from the Spring/Summer of 2020

National Status

I'm a British national married to a Canadian national with 2 Canadian national children.
Between 2006 > 2013 we lived in Ontario. I was issued a PR Card.
Between 2013 > present day we live in France.
In 2016 we returned to visit my wife's family in Ontario but I had to voluntarily give up my PR status in order to be issued a current ETA
so I could re-enter Canada.

Employment

My wife and I are both employed by a business I started in the UK in 1994.
Incorporated UK business in 1994 > present day
Incorporated Canadian business in 2005 > 2015 - Satellite Sales office and Product development studio, our sole client is the UK company
Incorporated French business in 2013 > present day - As above
In preparation for our return
Re-Incorporated Canadian business 2019 > present day - As above

Application for a PR card

I have subsequently learnt that I have to apply for a new PR card
Q: In order to arrive in Canada with the appropriate status. Can I complete and send my PR application now from France?
Q: If so, do I send my application to the Canadian Embassy in France or to Canada?
Q: What is the usual processing time?
Q: Is there a method to reduce the processing time?

Thanking you for your advice
Toby

1. Actually you didn't need to renounce your PR status as you were residing abroad with a Canadian spouse, which means you didn't have to meet the Residency obligation. I guess that is water under the bridge now.

2. Your wife will have to sponsor you, as a Canadian residing overseas, she can do this as an out of Canada application, but has to show intentions about relocating to Canada, what she has done in relationship to housing, schools, work. The sponsorship and application with supporting documents are sent to Canada. The application would then be processed in Paris. Processing time (with a complete application) is 12 months. The information you require is here: http://tinyurl.com/yc8dxsgq
3. To reduce the processing time, a perfect application, but it won't reduce it by much.
1/6/2020
Topic:
Error in personal info of COPR

PMM
PMM
Hi

[email protected] wrote:
I received COPR. However, the eye color and height was incorrectly written by me during initial application. Black eye color instead of brown for mine and 160 cm height instead of 150 cm for my son.
Is is require to correct before landing or can be corrected at Port of Entry

1. Can be corrected at POE.
1/10/2020
Topic:
Why do I need to attend and pay

PMM
PMM
Hi

Mellyism wrote:
I have been in Canada almost 68 of my 70 years brought here as a two yr old. Lived worked married family all here. Why must I pay and apply to become a citizen of the only country I know as my home? I was born in England

1. Same as everyone else who emigrated and wishes to become a citizen. No law says you have to apply for citizenship.
1/14/2020
Topic:
Change of Address After Receiving PR Status

PMM
PMM
Hi

sl76 wrote:
I've had my PR status for 3 years. I'm about to move in 3 weeks and I went to the IRCC website to see how I can update my address, but there is only information about how to change your address if you're submitted an application. Are permanent residents required to notify IRCC when they move? If so, how can I do so?
Thank you

1. No, you only need to inform IRCC of an address change if you have an application in progress.
1/20/2020
Topic:
PR Card Renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

Rose wrote:
Hello,

I have the following inquiries regarding the PR card renewal for people who became PR in 2015.
- How do I calculate number of days of physical presence for PR card renewal. If I take short trips outside the country, do the dates of departure and arrival both count as days of absence from Canada? or is it only the departure day that counts as a day of absence?

- Suppose I travel to the US and return the next day (for example: travel to US 18-Jan, travel back to Canada 19-Jan), how many days in that case count as absent from Canada?

- How long before the expiry of the PR card is it recommended to submit my PR card renewal application?

Thank you

1. The day of departure and the day of return count as days in Canada.
2. Has to be reported, but doesn't count as a day away
3. Up to 9 months prior to expiry. Although processing time now is 25 days for a renewal.
1/21/2020
Topic:
How many times can Ceremony be rescheduled?

PMM
PMM
Hi

alliekatt wrote:
My husband has applied for his Canadian Citizenship and completed/passed his test in December 2019. He had an invite to do the ceremony the first week on January 2020 and he rescheduled because we are out of the country. (We thought it would be about 3-4 months until he had a ceremony invite!) They have rescheduled him for first week of February and we are still out of the country. My question is, is there a limit on the amount of times he can reschedule? We are back in Canada end of March.
Thank you!

1. Here is what CIC says

"
If you’re not available on the day of your ceremony, send us a message to explain why and get a new date. If you don’t give an explanation or your explanation isn’t reasonable, we may stop processing your application and not grant you citizenship."