Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

10/31/2021
Topic:
How to prepare for high school assessment test?

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. It is great that you are looking into this type of information before your arrival.

According to one of our Education Experts, it is possible to start school in the middle of the school year or semester. Students can start school at any time but starting in the middle of the school year or semester might make it difficult to get credits for the courses he or she is studying. In terms of credits, they generally apply more to higher grades like middle or high school grades. You can find some additional information regarding enrolling children in school in the Settlement.Org article, How do I enrol my child in school?.

In some school boards, newcomer students go to an assessment or reception centre where their mathematics and English language skills are tested. Read more in How is my child assessed to start school in Ontario? You can also find a list of school reception centres in Ontario here. If you have your child's previous report card or textbook, or any other school information that might be helpful, bring it to the centre.

If your daughter is starting secondary (high) school, the guidance counsellor will talk to your child about her previous schooling, interests and goals for after graduation. The counsellor will then help your child choose the appropriate courses.
Many community agencies can help you with registering your child for school. For example, they can help you find an interpreter, if you would like one. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Make posting instructions easier to find

cma wrote:
Hi, What documents are needed for the Government Assisted Refugees children to enroll in school? How quickly can they apply for school after landing in Canada?

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is important to know that all children aged 6-18 can attend school, regardless of their immigration status or the immigration status of their parents. This is outlined in the Education Act, the law that governs public schools in Ontario. You can find some additional information regarding what you'll need to enrol your children in school in the Settlement.Org article, How do I enrol my child in school?

You may also find the resources, The Newcomer's Guide to Elementary School in Ontario helpful.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:

Ramneet wrote:
Hi settlement,

I have a plan to go to india urgently and i got my copr suddenly and pr card still awaited but i have work permit till next year so will they allow me to come to canada on the basis of my work permit after copr?
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. Permanent residents can only use a valid PR Card or PRTD to return to Canada.

According to Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

The [Permanent Resident] Travel Document can only be used once.
[...]
It is important that you check the expiry date of your PR card before you travel. If you need to renew it, you should apply before you travel. Find more information about renewing a PR card.

To be eligible for a PRTD you must meet a certain set of requirements:
  • prove who you are;
  • confirm your permanent resident status; and
  • meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident.

If you not meet this requirement, you may want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues for some advice and assistance with this process. You may also wish to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

You can contact them at:

1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

You can also submit an enquiry through their web form.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:

Jhonny wrote:
Hello, I lost my PR card just this year and I was thinking for a replacement card but then I realized that it will also expire in a few months (April 2022). Could I still be able to renew my PR card even though I lost it?

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. According to the Application guide for renewing or replacing a PR card:
To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card

You must meet the residency requirement to be eligible for a PR Card renewal. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?

For more information on the eligibility criteria to renew your PR card, please review the PR Card Application Instructional Guide. You may also find useful information in Settlement.Org articles about Permanent Residence. For information on how to replace a lost PR card, you may find helpful information in the Help Centre article, What should I do if my PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed?

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada and have immigration questions, you may want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form.

You may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration and employment issues for some advice and assistance with this process.

Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Changing Careers

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

While nursing and many other professions and trades are considered regulated professions in Ontario, there are still alternative career choices for those looking to stay in their field. You may find the suggestions on Settlement.Org's Alternative Jobs section helpful.

Finding work in a new sector can be challenging, you may also want to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings to help you in the job search process. You may also want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Low Heat/Thermostat problem

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us, we can appreciate that you would be very concerned about this situation.

You may find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, How much heat does my landlord have to provide? Here is an excerpt:

No matter what type of heating equipment you have, your landlord must keep it working properly so it can keep your place warm enough. Usually this means at least 20°C from September to June.

The exact temperature and dates are different for different places in Ontario. For example, in some areas the temperature must be 21°C, and in some places in Northern Ontario heat must be provided all year.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Lanlord ask for family picture during application

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We can appreciate that you would be very concerned about this situation.

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some information and advice regarding what your options are in this situation.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Need an immigration attorney's suggestion

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We can appreciate that you would be very concerned about this situation.

You must meet the residency requirement to be eligible for a PR Card renewal. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis.Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years. You can find information on how this time period is assessed in the discussion forum thread when does the 5 year period begin? You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?

It is best that you contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant who is familiar with Canadian immigration and employment issues for some advice and assistance with this process..

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Furnace Rental Fee

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us, we can appreciate that you would be very concerned about this situation.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/31/2021
Topic:
Collection without a Court Date

Hi there,

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some information and advice regarding what your options are in this situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
11/10/2021
Topic:
RC-1 category permanent resident on PRTD

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us! We are happy to provide a high level answer your questions.

As you have experienced, one does not lose Permanent Resident status by a breach of residence requirements, the expiration of a PR card or other non-action. As you have applied for, and been granted, a PRTD under humanitarian and compassionate grounds, Immigration Canada has confirmed that you have maintained your PR status despite your lack of physical presence in Canada over the past 11+ years. Once you return to Canada, you can apply for a new PR card here. There is no need to wait the 2 years before applying.

Immigration Canada has confirmed that you have maintained your PR status, therefore you do not need to apply separately citing Humanitarian and Compassionate circumstances. The RC-1 coding on your PRTD means that the IRCC determined there is sufficient humanitarian and compassionate grounds to justify the maintenance of your PR status despite the breach of the residency obligations requirements. The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act subsection 28(2)(c) states:

a determination by an officer that humanitarian and compassionate considerations relating to a permanent resident, taking into account the best interests of a child directly affected by the determination, justify the retention of permanent resident status overcomes any breach of the residency obligation prior to the determination.

As your children are currently studying in your home country, they can leave Canada and return to your home country following the submission of their PR card application. They will be required to re-enter Canada either with a PRTD or their PR card. As all PRTD applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, we do not recommend relying on a positive determination of a PRTD application to facilitate future travel. Going forward, they will need to meet the residency requirements to maintain their PR status.

A PR card can only be delivered to the applicant at a Canadian address. IRCC does not send PR cards to third parties. On occasion, IRCC may ask an applicant to pick up the card at a local IRCC office. However, assuming that you and your sons residences in Canada are the same, you can receive the card and have it delivered to your sons in your home country. However, there are risks with international shipping, specifically loss or damage to the card, associated with this option.

If they are required to travel urgently, you can request urgent processing of the PR Card and enclose flight information evidencing the urgent need of travel.

Finally, if your sons are unable to travel back to your home country to study, they can explore studying here.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western University law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
11/16/2021
Topic:
Sponsor Parents

[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that's for 2018 income tax.

should we proceed to apply? or our application will not be approved?

Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us.

In order to be an eligible sponsor for your own parents, you must provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply (meaning that you need to have met the income requirements for 2020, 2019 and 2018). However, if you live in Quebec, the income requirements are different. The purpose of the income requirements is to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself and your family.
For the 2021 Parents and Grandparents program, sponsors will be assessed on their income for tax years 2020, 2019 and 2018. Thus, your income from 2008 is irrelevant in the assessment.
In case you meant to write “2018” instead of “2008”, the situation would be different. 2018 income would be included in assessing the income requirements. If the 2018 combined income of you and your co-signor does not meet the income requirement, then your application for sponsorship will not likely be approved.
You may also consult this page to make sure that you are calculating your required income correctly.
If your parents have exceptionally strong reasons to live in Canada, as set out in Section 25 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, your parents may request humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) consideration to overcome the requirement to have an eligible sponsor.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
11/16/2021
Topic:
Sponsor Parents

Moderator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that's for 2018 income tax.

Thank you

Hello,

In order to be an eligible sponsor for your own parents, you must provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply (meaning that you need to have met the income requirements for 2020, 2019 and 2018). However, if you live in Quebec, the income requirements are different. The purpose of the income requirements is to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself and your family.

For the 2021 Parents and Grandparents program, sponsors will be assessed on their income for tax years 2020, 2019 and 2018. Thus, your income from 2008 is irrelevant in the assessment.
In case you meant to write “2018” instead of “2008”, the situation would be different. 2018 income would be included in assessing the income requirements. If the 2018 combined income of you and your co-signor does not meet the income requirement, then your application for sponsorship will not likely be approved.

You may also consult this page to make sure that you are calculating your required income correctly.
If your parents have exceptionally strong reasons to live in Canada, as set out in Section 25 (1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, your parents may request humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) consideration to overcome the requirement to have an eligible sponsor.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
11/16/2021
Topic:
Sponsor Parents

[email protected] wrote:
Hi,

Thank you

Hello,

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
11/17/2021
Topic:
Looking for Work

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Finding work can be challenging, you may want to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings to help you find work. You may also wish to seek the support of an employment counsellor for help with your cover letter and resume.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Settlement.Org Team