Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

6/21/2021
Topic:
Can I renew my OHIP and Drivers Licence Online?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Due to the current situation with COVID-19, you may not need to renew your health card. Expired health cards will be accepted by Ontario health care providers.

According to Service Ontario’s COVID-19 notice:
Please note: we have extended validation to expired and expiring health cards. You do not need to renew at this time.

A drivers licence is necessary to renew your health card online. But, if you cannot renew online, Service Ontario recommends that you continue using an expired card to access health services. Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to also post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/21/2021
Topic:
Citizenship application for minor

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, a minor who has a Canadian parent or a parent who is applying for citizenship at the same time (under the 5(2) application) does not have to have also been physically present in Canada 3 out of the last 5 years. You can find more information on the IRCC website on the "Apply for Citzenship - Minors" web page.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/21/2021
Topic:
PR card validity

Hi there,

In terms of travelling, permanent residents can only use a valid PR Card or Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. Usually, a Travel Document can only be used once. In case your PR card expires while you are abroad, you may want to read more about travelling without one in this Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.

For updated information on travel rules and restrictions, we recommend that you visit the Government of Canada website on COVID-19 updates for travel, quarantine, and borders. You may also want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form for advice specific to your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/28/2021
Topic:
Urgent processing - citizenship

Hi there,

It sounds like you may want to make a request for urgent processing to grant citizenship. According to IRCC, needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality is considered an emergency and a valid reason for urgent processing. Follow the steps in the Apply for Citizenship - Urgent Processing guide to make a request for urgent processing, and feel free to also speak to a registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your options and specific situation for further advice.

We hope this information is helpful, please feel free to follow up with us if you have any further questions as well.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/30/2021
Topic:
Are there school fees?

Hi there,

Ontario has 4 free public schooling systems, English Public schools, English Catholic schools, French-language Public schools, and French-language Catholic schools. Attendance in public school will be determined by home address.

In Ontario, children aged 6 - 18 must attend school. You may find the Settlement.org article, At what age do children attend school? Useful.

Here is an excerpt:
The Education Act is the law that governs public schools in Ontario. It says that children aged 6-18 must attend school. Many children can begin full day kindergarten program at age 4.

It is important to know that all children aged 6-18 can attend school, regardless of their immigration status or the immigration status of their parents. This is outlined in the Education Act, the law that governs public schools in Ontario.

Public education is free for school-aged children regardless of immigration status, you can find some additional information regarding enrolling in school here: How do I enrol my child in school?

You may also find the resources, The Newcomer's Guide to Elementary School in Ontario helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2021
Topic:
WES terrible customer service and no help

Nour wrote:
Hello, my WES credential evaluation was completed two months ago and till this moment WES hasn't returned my original Master's degree which was specifically requested by them. Due to this delay, I'm currently facing risk of being expelled from my university for not providing my original documents within the time frame. I have been in contact with WES on a regular basis, but they don't collaborate at all, and every time they reply with an automated email blaming restrictions and pandemic for any delays without providing an approximate time frame during which they will send back my document. WES didn't take my situation seriously and they don't realise that their job requires greater responsibility and sensitivity towards similar issues affecting people's future.
Is their is any body which I can contact to file a complaint against WES? given the fact that I don't live in Canada. Can settlement help me with this?

Hi there,

While you may find helpful information on the WES internal complaints process above in this thread, it sounds like you may also be considering making a consumer complaint with the Better Business Bureau. You can find more information on this process in the Settlement.Org article, How do I make a consumer complaint?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/30/2021
Topic:
can I apply to these jobs even living in brazil?

Hi there,

There are a number of online resources that will help you find work. Our Settlement.Org articles on job listings may be helpful in this pursuit. Industrial painting is not a regulated trade or profession. The Ontario Colleges of Trades has an online resource on the types of trainings one might need as an Industrial Painter.

In the meantime, you may also want to connect with a settlement service provider for pre-arrival services.

Pre-arrival services are free online or in-person programs for people who have been approved to immigrate to Canada.

Pre-arrival services offer information to better understand life in Canada, how to find a job, and how to access other free settlement services when you arrive in Canada. Some programs offer specific information according to your profession or destination, such as language training and essential skills training in the workplace.

You can find more information and services in the article What are pre-arrival services?

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/30/2021
Topic:
Facing problem with WES

Hello There,

We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. We understand that the outcome of your report may cause concern.

It is best that you contact WES directly for information specific to your case. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

For information about contacting WES, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

Here is an excerpt:
Submitting Application for Evaluations

For more information, visit Settlement.Org for articles on credential evaluation. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2021
Topic:
How do I find a job as a nurse?

Hello There,

Congratulations on getting your credentials evaluated! You may find it helpful to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings as you look for work. You may also want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us, we hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2021
Topic:
Issue with WES

Hello There,

We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. We understand that the outcome of your report may cause concern.

You may want to contact WES directly for information specific to your case and to escalate your concern. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

For information about contacting WES and their complaints process, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

Here is an excerpt:
Submitting Application for Evaluations

While you may find helpful information on the WES internal complaints process above in this thread, it sounds like you may also be considering making a complaint. You can find more information on this process in the Settlement.Org article, How do I make a consumer complaint?

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2021
Topic:
Minor returning to Toronto alone applying for OHIP

Hi there,

There are a few ways your son can show proof of residence. You may find helpful information in our Settlement.Org What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? article.

Here is an excerpt:
Proof of Residency

A document that has your name and current home address. This document confirms that your principal home is in Ontario.

• Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

If he chooses to use a cell phone or open a bank account, a phone bill or bank statement will work as acceptable proofs of residence. We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
6/30/2021
Topic:
My PEBC ECA report claims I have a bachelors, why?

Vilakshan wrote:
I recently got my PEBC ECA report and it says bachelor of pharmacy instead of giving me a professional degree crendiatials. Anyone knows why?
I did my bachelor's in pharmacy from India and recently evaluated my degree for PR purposes. But instead of getting a professional degree, the ECA reports say bachelor. It should say professional or master because it a regulated profession and according to CIC, it should say professional degree. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Hi there,

You may wish to contact the organization you received your evaluation from, since there are a few different organizations that provide credential evaluation for school and for work. Some organizations have a complaints or appeals process you can follow. For example, you may find the information in the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful regarding their appeals process.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2021
Topic:
Pathway for Physician Assistant and Nursing

Hello There,

Nursing and many other professions and trades are considered regulated professions in Ontario. There are still alternative career choices for those looking to stay in their field. You may also wish to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings as you continue your search for work as a nurse or physicians assistance.

For support in this process, it may be a good idea to seek the advice of an employment counsellor at a settlement agency. You can find services near you for employment services here.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/5/2021
Topic:
Can I count time spent in Canada before PR?

Hi there,

You may find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/13/2021
Topic:
Can I take the online citizenship test abroad?

Hi there,

According to IRCC, online citizenship tests must also be taken inside Canada. You can find more information about this in the IRCC article, "About the online citizenship test."

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team