Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

9/10/2020
Topic:
Can I Sponsor my Parents and be a Co-Sponsor?

PMM
PMM
HI

Helenwang wrote:
Hi MonaLisa and PMM,

Thanks for sharing. I am in the same situation. But I wonder should we put 4 parents' name in each of our interest to sponsor form, or should we just put 2 patents in each form?

Thank you in advance!

1. Separate form for both sets of parents. That is if and when the Parent/Grandparent stream re-opens and what the new rules will be.
9/20/2020
Topic:
Citizenship

PMM
PMM
Hi

Bofield8 wrote:
I understand that this is a relatively basic question, but I've been trying to get a clear answer for a while and can't seem to find it. My Great Grandfather was Quebecois from Yamaska, QC. Does that lend ANY weight to my application process for citizenship to Canada? Sorry if I sound naive, but I'm trying to be hopeful!
Thank you!

Be well,

Jim

1. Probably not, but you can complete the Citizenship by descent app to see if you qualify. It will really depend on if either of your parents claimed citizenship by descent and when. See: https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto
10/1/2020
Topic:
Who to be the sponsor, my wife or I?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Mr E wrote:
I am a Canadian citizen who sponsored my wife from the Philippines 6 years ago. She has her pr-card and we have lived together in Canada for 6 years. My wife included her now 30 year old son on the original papers. Now we want to sponsor her son to come to Canada. My question is Which one of us should be the sponsor and which one the co-sponsor. I am the major income provider as the current COVID situation has left my wife unemployed. This is not a major problem as my income is sufficient for all our needs. So is it best for me or my wife to identify as the sponsor on the papers?

1. Your spouse would be the sponsor, you would be the co-signer.

2. I have no idea under what program that your wife's son could be sponsored, as he is well over the age of 22.
10/1/2020
Topic:
Permanent Residency Outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

Zeke10 wrote:
Good day,
Hello, My name is Zeke, and I’m from the Philippines. I would like to inquire my status of being an Immigrant in Canada. I have my PR card renewed last October 2016. I left Canada March of 2017 because of family matters. I decided to go back in Canada this March 2020. However, because of the Pandemic and implemented restrictions, I wasn’t able to go back. I’m planning to go next year in Canada. Can I still enter Canada without having complications? Thank you

1. It would appear that you no longer meet your residency obligations, and there is a chance that you could be reported on entry. If you are reported, you would have 30 days to appeal the removal order.
2. If you are not reported, you would have to remain in Canada until you are in compliance with your RO.
10/17/2020
Topic:
PR card expire while In outside Of Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

Uzmi wrote:
Hi, my sister was permanent resident when sponsored her husband and son. Son spend 6 month in Canada and left the country for taking religious education in pakistan. Meanwhile my sister got her citizenship of Canada.last 4 1/2 years her son didn’t back in Canada. He is 13 years old now.his PR card card expire in 25 July 2020. Can he reapply PR card from Pakistan whole he couldn’t complete his 730 days in Canada. Or my sister can sponsor him again.

1. No, he can't apply for a PR card outside Canada. To return to Canada he would have to apply for a PR Travel Document.
2. If he is 13, there should be no problem of him getting a PRTD as he is a minor.
10/31/2020
Topic:
Permanent Resident Studying Outside Canada

PMM
PMM
Hi

bluelamp wrote:
Is it advisable for a Permanent Resident to, almost immediately upon getting the PR Card, to leave Canada to study outside Canada? Are there any implications on the PR status?

1. No, as long as you meet the residency obligations, i.e. reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period.
11/16/2020
Topic:
Can I sponsor my adoptive parents?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Iansays wrote:
I am an orphan who was adopted by my aunt in Cambodia when my parents passed away. She pretty much raised me as her own child for 7 years before my uncle who lives in Canada sponsored me in 2005. I was wondering if it is possible to sponsor my aunt and her husband as my parents or adoptive parents. if so, is it the same process as sponsoring parents? Thank you.

1. It depends on how your uncle sponsored you to Canada. If he sponsored you as an orphan under the age of 18, then you can't sponsor your "adoptive parents".
11/24/2020
Topic:
What can my daughter do without a passport?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Jino wrote:
Hello all,

I'm sponsoring my wife and my child (9-month year old). The application status now is showing Decision made after almost 12 months and the issue is that my child doesn't have a passport due to the closeness of the concerned consulate in her residing country because of Covid 19 panedimic. We have been told that the consulate will not be offering its services in the near future and we are afraid, in case of passport request for visa, could delay the issuance of the visa.
Can we ask for a temporary travel document for my child to be able to come to Canada.
Your kind prompt response and experience are highly appreciated.

Regards

1. Unless the child is a Canadian citizen, s/he is going to require a passport. No airline will board without one, and CIC will not issue a COPR until she has a passport.
12/6/2020
Topic:
What can I do after losing PR status?

PMM
PMM
Hi

jef wrote:
Dear Sir, Madam

Good morning,

Kindly note that i have received the rejection letter form the Canadian embassy regrading the travel documents as my PR was expired and i did not respect the 730 days rule. due to a reasons that i feel it is H&C. however The immigration office in AD says

"Having considered all of the evidence that you have presented, I am not satisfied that your personal circumstances involve humanitarian and compassionate considerations that justify the retention of permanent resident status." also he mentioned

Should you choose not to submit an appeal of this decision to the Immigration Appeal Division in Canada, this decision concerning your non-compliance with the residency obligation under section 28 of the Act will become a final determination of your residency status. You will be considered to have lost your status as a permanent resident of Canada, in accordance with paragraph 46(1)(b).[ You will not be allowed to enter Canada as a permanent resident, in accordance with subsection 19(2). You would have to meet all regular entry requirements for a foreign national, including obtaining a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization, if required."

i have not appeal as the appeal will take more three years and it is will very difficult to challenge their decision .

because i have lost my PR as per their clause , i am trying again to do my IELTS and submit again through express entry.

my question is am i eligible to do that , or it is not anymore permitted for me to apply.

thank you

1. Nothing stopping you from re-applying if you qualify. Note you can't submit an ITA until the 60 day appeal period is over.
12/23/2020
Topic:
Bringing money after PR

PMM
PMM
Hi

b1b2g2 wrote:
Hello,
My sponsorship PR is in the process and I want to plan. I want to know how to bring money into Canada after PR is approved. I am currently a UK citizen and have worked and paid taxes in the UK. I have savings which I would like to bring to Canada. Is there a time limit to bring these savings to Canada? Do I have to pay taxes on them when bringing to Canada? Do I have to bring the first time I arrive or can I bring over 5-6 years down the line?
Please advise so I can plan.

Thanks alot

1. No, no time limit. But if you are carrying over $10K on entry must be declared.

2. No taxes.
3. See #1. Note though that any interest or capital gains must be declared on your Canadian income tax as well as a declaration if you have $100K or more abroad.
12/24/2020
Topic:
Citizenship Requirement

PMM
PMM
Hi

youbie wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I am a permanent resident of Canada and will soon have to be applying for my citizenship.

I am yet to complete a year; out of the 1090 days for the citizenship requirements. However I am getting married to a Canadian citizen and accompanying to stay with him in another country. Would those days account for my presence in Canada for me to be able to apply for citizenship? If yes, Is it ok for me to hire a representative to file my application and be out of the country? Please note, that my fiance has his own business and doesn't work for any Canadian organisation.

Please guide me with your insights, I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Holidays!

:)

1. No, you have to have actual physical residence in Canada to apply for citizenship, i.e. 1095 days prior to the date you apply.
2. Residing overseas with a Canadian citizen only preserves you PR status and the days abroad don't count for citizenship.
12/24/2020
Topic:
Employment after landing with COPR

PMM
PMM
Hi

Anora wrote:
Hello, If I get COPR via the FSW EE stream with arranged employment. Is there any requirement for the duration of my employment that I will take up after landing with the PR status us?

Just would like to be prepared for all unpredictable possibilities, e.g. if there is better job opportunities, or the arranged employment does not work out well.

Thank you!

1/ Once you "land" you can work for whomever you want.
1/4/2021
Topic:
sponsorship refusal

PMM
PMM
Hi

bilo wrote:
the agent said' Based on the assessment of your information, including your request, the
supporting documentation and the information you provided during the interview, I am not
convinced that your marriage to your respondent is genuine or that it has not been established for
needs of acquiring permanent resident status in Canada.

what can i do?

1. If it was an out of Canada spousal sponsorship, you will be sent a copy of the refusal letter and the instructions on how to appeal the decision to the Immigration Appeal Division. You have 30 days after the date of the receipt of the refusal to appeal.
2. Here is some information from the Appeal Division on how the appeal works: https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/filing-immigration-appeal/Pages/immapp-a1.aspx
1/8/2021
Topic:
Can I re-apply for citizenship after 17 years?

PMM
PMM
Hi

windsor123 wrote:
My family submit citizenship application in 2003 after physically living in Canada for 3 years as PR. In 2004 We sold the house and moved out of country and were not able to submit the supporting document within time frame requested by CIC. Application was closed. More than 17 years now, is it reasonable to re-submit new application?

Thanks for your guidance, stay safe and healthy!

windsor

1. If you have been outside Canada for 17 years, you no longer meet your residency requirements (2 years residence in every 5)
2. You first have to sort out your permanent residence, by either applying for Permanent Resident Travel Document and prove that there were Humanitarian or Compassionate reasons why you remained outside Canada for 17 years, or enter Canada without being reported for not meeting your RO and remain for 2 years without leaving to become compliant with your RO (Resident Obligations) Note that you would have difficulty regarding health insurance and renewing your SIN number.
3. As to citizenship, you have to have lived in Canada for 3 years in the 5 years on the date you sign your application as a Permanent Resident, you aren't eligible for citizenship.
1/12/2021
Topic:
What can I do while waiting for a response?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Gigi wrote:
Hello, hope you are all doing well. The reason I am writing here is because my husband and I are literally desperate to hear the decision made by Immigration Canada about our sponsorship app. It’s been over a year but other than having his biometrics done, we haven’t received a word. We are currently living in Cuba, where the situation is becoming economically unsustainable and are so worried about our app. Is there a way we can find out the state of our app? Is there anyone who can help us out pls? Thank you so much!!

1. Your best bet is to order the GCMS notes, you can apply for them under ATIP https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=463&top=1 Note you will have to be a Canadian citizen or PR and have authorization from your spouse.