6/14/2014
Topic:
Short Landing and Return after 6-8 mths - Problems

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

1: no
2: no
3a: no, because you don't apply for your first PR card. It will be mailed to a Canadian address automatically. Your family can either mail it to you while you're in the US, or you return to Canada in a private vehicle such as a car. In that case you won't need the PR card, just the landing papers which you receive right away when you land.
3b: no
3c: not if the photo complies with these specifications.
3d: there really is no reason to be worried. You land, provide them with a mailing address and leave. All you need to make sure is that you comply with your residency obligation which means you need to be physically present in Canada for 2 years in the 5-year period immediately after landing.

You can verify all this information on http://www.cic.gc.ca if you're not fully convinced. There's also a lot of information on this website. You may be interested in
I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?,
What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
and/or
Do I need to apply for my Permanent Resident Card?

Just scroll to the top, click on Immigration & Citizenship and then Landing & Leaving and Permanent Residence, respectively.

Klaus
6/15/2014
Topic:
Short Landing and Return after 6-8 mths - Problems

Klaus
Klaus
You're very welcome.
Bill C24 is not in force yet, but as far as I know it is about citizenship, not about permanent residence. So there is no impact on your situation.

Klaus
6/15/2014
Topic:
What is the COPR? How to get It?

Klaus
Klaus
COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence.
You usually receive this document with the letter that your application for permanent residence has been approved.

Klaus
6/16/2014
Topic:
What is the COPR? How to get It?

Klaus
Klaus
That is correct. After you apply: get next steps states:
If we approve your application, we will issue you a permanent resident visa. This visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your entry visa.

Your COPR will have information about who you are as well as your photograph. Please check to make sure it is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, contact your visa office.

You must have your COPR and your visa with you when you arrive in Canada.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post. You only receive the CoPR with your passport if you actually need an immigration visa. Those who don't need an immigration visa receive the CoPR automatically.

Klaus
6/17/2014
Topic:
Travelling before the PR card arrives

Klaus
Klaus

Hi, I am a new immigrant to Canada with my husband and my daughter and we haven't received our PR card yet.But now I have a serious problem in my country and I have to go back there for about two month,but my husband and daughter stay here until they get our PR and they will be back,so:
is there any problem with this situation that I go back and my family bring my PR and then we come back here to Canada?
I'm really looking forward to hearing from you soon cause I want to make the decision.

Hi,

that's no problem unless you stay away for too long. As a permanent resident, you need to be in Canada for two years in each five-year period.

Klaus
6/23/2014
Topic:
Still Require a Criminal & Medical Check?-Sponsor

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

the Guide 3900 - Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child living outside Canada states:
What will the person I want to sponsor have to do?

The person you want to sponsor (and their family members if applicable) will have to:
•sign the Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344), except if Quebec will be the province of residence,
•complete the forms included with The Immigrant’s Guide (IMM 3999) and provide appropriate documentation in support of their application,
•undergo a medical examination prior to submitting the application (results are valid for 12 months),
•pass criminal and security verifications,
•obtain a passport and, in some countries, an exit visa
•attend an interview at a Canadian visa office, if required.

So he will have to have another medical examination.

I also found How to get a police certificate (police check) which states:
What is a police certificate?

A police certificate is a copy of your criminal record or a statement that you do not have a criminal record.
[blah, blah]
The certificate must be issued no more than three months before you apply.

So he'll need that one as well.

Good luck!
Klaus
6/25/2014
Topic:
Landing Formalities - Already in Toronto

Klaus
Klaus
Hi Terry,

the questions they asked me when I landed were "Where do you intend to live?", "what items are you bringing with you?" and "what's their approximate value?" That was pretty much it.
I can't tell if they will ask you a particular question. If there is anything that could get you into trouble (and the way you asked your question suggests that there is indeed something), you may want to talk to a lawyer before you land.

Klaus
6/30/2014
Topic:
ODSP while Abroad

Klaus
Klaus
Not much to add to what Anna wrote. If you don't live in Ontario, you won't get ODSP. Three "yes" from a person from a settlement agency won't override the Ontario Disability Support Program Act which clearly states:
Eligibility for income support

5. (1) No person is eligible for income support unless,

(a) [...]

(b) the person is resident in Ontario;
[...]

Klaus
7/1/2014
Topic:
Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Klaus
Klaus
"Not valid to travel" does not mean that YOU can't travel, it just means that you can't use this document to prove your status as a permanent resident in order to re-enter Canada. If you have a permanent resident card or a travel document, you can always re-enter.

Klaus
7/1/2014
Topic:
Permanent Resident Card - New Immigrants

Klaus
Klaus
Assuming that you are a citizen of The Philippines, that you have applied for permanent residence in Canada and that you already have your immigration visa (a bit more context is always appreciated if you need help), you can and should land in Canada before the "Valid To:" date stated on your CoPR.
"Not valid for travel" has nothing to do with the landing process, it just means that you'll need a permanent resident card or a travel document if you wish to travel after you have landed. The COPR document itself is not a valid document to prove your status.
7/13/2014
Topic:
Lost my SIN Card

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

the following articles might help you:

How do I replace my lost or stolen confirmation of SIN letter or SIN card?
How do I replace a lost, stolen or damaged driver’s licence?
My PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed. How do I replace it?
Replace a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Health Card

Or better yet, take a look at Lost Wallet. This website from Service Canada provides an overview what you need to do after you have lost your wallet.

Klaus
7/29/2014
Topic:
Car Insurance

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

I couldn't agree more that understanding the TTC routes is complicated. I can only suggest you use Google maps to find a TTC route from A to B. Their route planner is much better than the TTC website.

Two more things you may want to look into: if you decide to go with TTC for now, I suggest you sign up with AutoShare, a car sharing company. Even if you never actually use their services, you start building an insurance record which can save you a lot of money in the future. It sure worked for me. The fees are next to nothing compared to the future savings. You're currently looking at $29 to sign up and $45 per year.

If you decide to buy a car rather than using TTC, you can either check insurance quotes yourself or contact an insurance broker. I checked with Kanetix and they found me a good rate. Personally I would always look for a broker since comparing quotes can be quite tricky. It's unbelievable which factors can affect the premiums and these guys are experts. Chances are that you will get a better rate if you ask a broker who knows every little detail about the insurance companies.

Good luck!
Klaus
8/7/2014
Topic:
How to show Proof for Auto Insurance?

Klaus
Klaus
Assuming that you exchanged your foreign license for an Ontario license: maybe Service Ontario kept a copy of your original license and there's an issue date on it?

I'm surprised that the prospective auto insurance cares anyway. In my case, they just wanted to know which license (G1, G2 or G) I currently hold. A clean insurance record since 1986 didn't matter to them either since the driving experience was not gained in Canada or the US.

Klaus
8/14/2014
Topic:
Sponsoring a Spouse with an Expired PR

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

you don't need to have a valid PR card. Sponsor your spouse, partner or children states:
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your:
•spouse,
•common-law or conjugal partner, or
•dependent children

to immigrate to Canada.

The Document Checklist also states that you need a
Photocopy of either your
  • Permanent Resident Card (both sides) or, if you were not issued a Permanent Resident Card, your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or

• Canadian Citizenship Certificate or card (or both), or

• [...]

So what matters is the actual PR status, not the PR card.

Klaus
8/17/2014
Topic:
Re-Entering Canada

Klaus
Klaus
Hi,

1. currently you are still a PR. You'll keep your status unless you relinquish it or CIC deprives you of your status.

2. being a PR, you can still enter Canada, but the officer at the border will likely report you to CIC for not fulfilling you residency obligation and there is a good chance that you will lose you status which ultimately will result in a departure order.

I guess all you can do is to relinquish your PR status and start all over.

Klaus