Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

7/21/2020
Topic:
PR Card Not Received

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for details regarding your specific application.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/21/2020
Topic:
PR Card Renewal

Hello There,

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

You may also want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/21/2020
Topic:
Posted CoPR to different IRCC office accidentally

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

The Settlement.Org website is a website for people who are moving to and settling in Ontario. Unfortunately, we do not have application specific information.

It is best that you contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) directly for some information specific to your situation. You can contact them by calling 1-888-242-2100 to speak with an operator or by web form.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/29/2020
Topic:
WES Evaluation Status on Hold

AareSnigdha wrote:
Dear Moderator
There was finger error while typing my reference no of WES.My WeS no is
*******. In my prior message it was I have given a clear picture of my travel through WES, to make it short: my MBA transcripts reached on 23March 2020, inspire of giving all details WES asked me to send copies my degree myself which I followed. Upon receiving them WES has sent to my university i.e
Bundelkhand University.Due to Covid-19,WES guided to send by email which was followed by my institution and received by WES.
Status showed received documents and under progress. Within a day
my status changed to HOLD and sent for verification. Again the University sent the verified documents to WES about 2 weeks back. Though there is no acknowledgement from WES and the status shows waiting for verification. I have requested them if they allow I ask the university to send transcripts again as per their guidelines. So far I have not received any response from WES. May I request you to help me in this regard.
With Regards.....

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your question with us, we appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

You may want to follow the steps above and contact WES for case-specific information regarding your evaluation status.
We hope that other users will be able to share their experience with you regarding status changes.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
7/29/2020
Topic:
WES Evaluation Status on Hold

AareSnigdha wrote:
Dear Moderator
There was finger error while typing my reference no of WES.My WeS no is
*******. In my prior message it was I have given a clear picture of my travel through WES, to make it short: my MBA transcripts reached on 23March 2020, inspire of giving all details WES asked me to send copies my degree myself which I followed. Upon receiving them WES has sent to my university i.e
Bundelkhand University.Due to Covid-19,WES guided to send by email which was followed by my institution and received by WES.
Status showed received documents and under progress. Within a day
my status changed to HOLD and sent for verification. Again the University sent the verified documents to WES about 2 weeks back. Though there is no acknowledgement from WES and the status shows waiting for verification. I have requested them if they allow I ask the university to send transcripts again as per their guidelines. So far I have not received any response from WES. May I request you to help me in this regard.
With Regards.....

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your question with us, we appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

We can only provide general information, you may want to follow the steps above and contact WES for case-specific information regarding your evaluation status.

Settlement.Org Team
8/13/2020
Topic:
Applying for citizenship during COVID-19

Hello There,

You have a few options in your situation. You may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

Here is an excerpt on the eligibility criteria for applying for citizenship from the article, How do I apply for citizenship?:
In order to apply for Canadian citizenship you must:
  • Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French)
  • Be a Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1,095 days out of the 5 years before you apply
  • Have filed your taxes for at least 3 years during the last 5 years and any income tax you may owe must be paid

If you do not meet this eligibility criteria and are looking for information on pathways to permanent residence, you may find helpful information in the article How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/18/2020
Topic:
Applying to Colleges/Universities

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope to provide you with helpful information at this exciting time.

The eligibility criteria can vary between different college programs. You may want to browse the Ontario Colleges website for more information on the types of programs available in early child care.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles How do I choose the right university or college for me? and 6 Tips for Choosing a Post-Secondary School. It may also help to speak with the admissions office to clarify any questions you may have about the program requirements and your wife’s eligibility.

Regarding who is eligible for OSAP,
Residency in Ontario
You must meet certain requirements to be considered a resident of Ontario for OSAP purposes. You may also be eligible if your spouse or parent(s) meet certain residency requirements.
If you do not meet OSAP's Ontario residency requirements you may still be eligible. You may have to provide a detailed explanation in your History of Canadian Residency form and submit the required documents that support your residency.
If you have lived in another province, you must contact that province's student assistance program.

You may also find it helpful to use OSAP's online aid estimator to give you an idea of how much financial assistance you could be eligible to receive from the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/18/2020
Topic:
Applying to Colleges/Universities

Halac wrote:
Hello,
I am currently completing a Master’s degree in International Business in the UK (I’m not a british citizen) and I need someone to advise me on what to do next, please. I am very interested in education and a career in Canada, but don’t know quite how to approach it. Can anyone please help with any information available? Thank you

Hello,

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

You may want to seek the advice of an expert in employment counselling regarding how to navigate difficult conversations with potential employers. There are many community agencies that provide services to help newcomers find gainful employment; learn more by reading the Settlement.Org article, Why should I get help to find work?

We hope this information is helpful, and are wishing you the best of luck in your job search.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/18/2020
Topic:
Can my landlord ask for rent early?

Hello There,

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services about paying rent that may be helpful.

If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/18/2020
Topic:
Withholding tax and NR74 form

Hello There,

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. You may want to contact a lawyer familiar with tax and housing law for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest community legal clinic by using this tool here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/24/2020
Topic:
Permanent Residency staying outside Canada

HHPATEL wrote:
Hi
I was landed immigrant as skilled worker with my son and spouse in 2010. Due to health issue of my parents , I had to come back with my family. My son and spouse returned to India after 2 month and I returned after 5 month. Due to responsibilty of taking care of my parents , I never returned to Canada. Now my son is of 18 years, He want to study higher education in Canada. But I and my spouse don't want to come to Canada.
SO, what are options for my son,

1 Applying for study permit:
- will old PR status hamper his study permit application?

or

2. Applying for PRTD for my son
-How much time will they take to decide for grant PRTD on Humanitarian ground ?- I don't know
-If IRCC take loner time, than it will spoil his important year of career.
-Can He apply for study permit after rejection of PRTD application?
-If IRCC reject his plea for PRTD , what are the option for him? Can he appeal for it?
- During process of appeal for rejection of PRTD, should he physically present in Canada? If yes, Can he study while appeal period in Canada?

Kindly , reply . I am in dilemma, Please guide me

Harshad

Hi Harshad,

Wait times for processing applications may be longer than usual due to COVID-19. For updates related to your specific case it is best that you contact IRCC (formerly CIC) using their web form.

A permanent resident travel document is an official document that Canadian visa offices issue for permanent residents to return to Canada if they do not have their PR card. IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your son staying outside of Canada for the time that he has. This is up to IRCC and it would be best for your mother to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents she may require.

According to IRCC's Application Guide for Permanent Resident Travel Documents:

If your application for a PRTD is refused:
  • you will get a refusal letter, explaining the reasons for the refusal and your appeal rights.
If you decide to appeal a negative decision, follow the instructions in the “Notice of Appeal” form and letter sent with your refusal.

In which case, it would best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about his situation.

Regarding your question about study permits, the IRCC website highlights the eligibility criteria on study permits in the application package. Here is an excerpt:

Eligibility requirementsYou can study in Canada if you:
  • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • prove you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
  • are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/24/2020
Topic:
Tenant will never move

Hello,

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool by Legal Aid Ontario. You may also want to contact the Landlord's Self Help Centre for some advice regarding your situation. The Landlord's Self-Help Centre. Landlord's Self-Help Centre is a non-profit specialty community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario and mandated to provide support exclusively to Ontario's small landlord community.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/25/2020
Topic:
Job Search

Ramadevi Nunna wrote:
I am a software developer with 6+ years experience in .Net technologies. I hold Master's degree in computer science.
Actively looking for software developer position with .Net technologies anywhere in ON province. Kindly guide in searching the job.

Hello There,

Finding work can be challenging, you may want to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings to help you find work. You may also wish to seek the support of an employment counsellor for help with your cover letter and resume.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Settlement.Org Team
8/28/2020
Topic:
What do I do with a lost health card?

Hello There,

You can drop off the health card at any police station, or in any Canada Post mailbox. You may also drop it off at a ServiceOntario location or call Service Ontario at 1-888-376-5197 to report the health card you found.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
8/28/2020
Topic:
How does COVID healthcare for visitors work?

Hello There,

The Ministry of Health is also taking measures to ensure access to medically necessary services to uninsured individuals to address the COVID-19 outbreak. According to the Steps to Justice article, I don't have status in Canada. What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?:

You don’t need OHIP coverage to be tested or treated for COVID-19 at assessment centres in Ontario.

The Ontario government announced uninsured people should not have to pay for testing and treatment for COVID-19 and other medically-necessary services. This includes medical services in hospitals and services by other healthcare providers in the community. You should not be charged for testing or treatment of COVID-19. But some healthcare providers outside of hospitals might decide to charge money for other services.

Visit the Healthcare Access Ontario website to find a walk in-clinic that provides medical care without charging fees.

This means that everyone, insured and uninsured, will receive medically necessary care.

Tourists, transients or visitors may not be eligible for OHIP coverage. But, as a person without OHIP, you also have other options for healthcare. Learn more about the many ways you can access healthcare in Ontario, including low-cost care and private health insurance.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team