Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

6/10/2020
Topic:
Make posting instructions easier to find

chonamillar wrote:
Hi I have a question I’m applying citizenship this year I see in cic website one proof of English language is diploma or tor with notary I have this both if I use this document do I need to get ESL certificate

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to IRCC article, Find out if you have the language proof for citizenship: Step 1

If you attended a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French, you may:
[...] send a copy of proof that you completed or are attending a program with your application. Proof can be your:
  • diploma
  • transcript
  • certificate
Your proof must be in English or French. If it’s in another language, you must also send a certified English or French translation. The translation should show that the language of instruction of the program was English or French.

You may also find helpful information in the IRCC Help Centre article, What documents can I use to prove that I meet the citizenship language requirement?

You may also find useful information in the Settlement.Org article How do I get my documents translated?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
6/16/2020
Topic:
Education equivalencies

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles Where can I get my international credentials evaluated for education? or Where can I get my international credentials evaluated for employment?.

We hope that forum users are able to provide feedback and information about their experiences with credential evaluation services in Ontario. You may also find helpful information in previous threads regarding credential evaluation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/16/2020
Topic:
WES terrible customer service and no help

VigneshwarKar wrote:
Hi Friends,
I have completed my 3 year diploma after completing +2. I need to send any proof to WES to say that my 3 year diploma was done after +2 not after 10th. Otherwise It will affect my WES result.

Because As per WES,
3 year Diploma after +2 is equivalent to bachelor degree.
3 year diploma after 10th is not equivalent to degree

Please help me how to submit proof of 12th completion. Where to get transcript for +2?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope that community members will share their experiences with you.

You may want to follow the steps above and contact WES directly for information specific to your case. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

For information about contacting WES and their complaints process, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
WES - Wrong Assessment - Please Help

Hello There,

We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. We understand that the outcome of your report may cause concern.

It is best that you contact WES directly for information specific to your case. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

For information about contacting WES, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

Here is an excerpt:
Submitting Application for Evaluations

For more information, visit Settlement.Org for articles on credential evaluation. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Travel history

Hello There,

The Canadian Border Service Agency can also conduct a travel history report. “A Travel History Report is a record of a traveller's entries, exits or both into Canada.”

According to the CBSA:
If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Mould + Eviction

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You may wish to also call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Help finding a job in Mechanical Engineering

Hello There,

Finding work can be challenging, you may want to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings to help you find work. You may also wish to seek the support of an employment counsellor for help with your cover letter and resume.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Settlement.Org also has a Financial Assistance section, where you can find information on various government programs and financial supports you may be eligible for.

Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Appeal to WES for Re-Evaluation of Credentials

Hello There,

We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. We understand that the outcome of your report may cause concern.

It is best that you contact WES directly for information specific to your case. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form. You may also wish to seek the support of a settlement service provider at a community agency. A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section.

For information about the appeals process at WES, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

Here is an excerpt:
Submitting Application for Evaluations

For more information, visit Settlement.Org for articles on credential evaluation. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Arriving to Toronto after PR landing

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I am immigrating to Canada. How do I bring my belongings with me?.

You may be able to bring your belongings with you duty-free. To qualify, usually you must have owned, possessed, and used the goods before coming to Canada.
You also have to fill out a BSF186 - Personal Effects Accounting Document, where you list any goods with you and the goods that you will send later. If your goods are not listed on your original BSF186, they are not eligible for duty-free importation at a later time.
If you need more space to list your goods, you can type out your own list or fill out form BSF186A - Personal Effects Accounting Document.
Your list should state the goods and their value. Make a list of the goods that are with you and another list for those that will arrive later. It is good to have a copy each list.

The belongings you put on this form will be duty-free. However, as stated, if your goods are not listed on your original BSF186, they are not eligible for duty-free importation at a later time.

In case you plan on bringing belongings that were not disclosed, you may find additional guidance in the IRCC article, Bringing goods to Canada:
You don’t have to pay duty on:
  • books
  • linens
  • clothes
  • jewellery
  • antiques
  • furniture
  • silverware
  • musical instruments
  • gifts worth CDN $60 or less each
  • hobby tools and other hobby items
  • private collections of coins, stamps or art
  • appliances, such as a stove or refrigerator
You do have to pay duty on:
  • farm equipment
  • equipment you plan to use in:
    • contracting
    • construction
    • manufacturing
  • vehicles you plan to use for business
  • items you have bought on your way to Canada
  • items you have leased or rented
    • we don’t consider leased or rented items things that you own
If you’re not sure if you have to pay duty on some items, bring sales receipts and registration documents with you.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Divorce Jurisdiction

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, How can I get a divorce in Ontario?. Here is an excerpt:

You do not have to be a Canadian citizen to apply for a divorce, but there are certain criteria you must meet.
[...]
If you want an Ontario court to officially end your marriage, you can apply for a divorce if you meet these 3 eligibility criteria:

• You were legally married in Canada or in any other country.
  • You intend to separate permanently from your spouse or have left your spouse already, and you do not believe there is a possibility you will get back together.
  • You and/or your spouse have lived in Ontario for at least the 12 months preceding your application.

• The Divorce Act is the federal law that deals with divorce matters in Canada. If you are not legally married, divorce law does not apply to you.

There may be an exception to the residency requirement if both you and your spouse live outside Canada and you live in a country that does not recognize your Canadian marriage. You may be able to end your marriage under the Civil Marriage Act and can apply for divorce in Ontario with existing forms from the Ministry of the Attorney General.

You may wish to consult a reputable and registered lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law regarding your situation. If you choose to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community legal clinics in your area.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
    6/29/2020
    Topic:
    Trade Worker - Challenge Certificate

lanzki41 wrote:
    hi there, I hope everyone is safe. I'm an experienced electrician in my country and have a question about applying TEA and one of the requirements are the number of hours in the past experience but the problem is the company that I work did not exist anymore, is there any way to prove to them that I am qualified of my trade?

Hello There,

You may want to contact the Colleges of Trades’ Client Services directly at 1-855-299-0028 (toll-free) or 647-847-3000 (in the GTA) to speak with an operator about alternative options to prove your eligibility to write this exam.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
    6/29/2020
    Topic:
    Trade Worker - Challenge Certificate

AhmedTunde wrote:
    Hello Moderator,

I am an international applicant looking forward to apply for the Trade Equivalency Assessment. I want to know the minimum hours required to be eligible to apply for industrial electrician electrician.

Thanks

Hello There,

You may find the information on Recognized Hours Credits for Related Trades in Appendix C on page 16 of the Trade Equivalency Assessment Application Guide & Form.

Contact the Colleges of Trades’ Client Services at 1-855-299-0028 (toll-free) or 647-847-3000 (in the GTA) to speak with an operator about your eligibility to write this exam. You may also want to browse their website, Trade Equivalency Assessment & Credential Recognition.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
    6/29/2020
    Topic:
    Looking for Housing - Reasonable price

coolbjones wrote:
    Would housing assistance services help me find subsidized housing fast?

Hello There,

It is best that you connect with housing assistance services near you. Community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How can I look for rental housing? and How can I apply for subsidized housing?.

Your Settlement.Org Team
    6/29/2020
    Topic:
    Looking for Housing - Reasonable price

coolbjones wrote:
    Would housing assistance services help me find subsidized housing fast?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope that community can share their experiences with you.

As stated above, community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term. You may use our Services Near Me tool to find housing assistance services near you.

You may also wish to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community services in your area.

Your Settlement.Org Team
    6/29/2020
    Topic:
    COVID19 Pandemic Impact- Residency Requirements

Hi Madi,

You can find updates on how IRCC plans to accommodate the current situation in the article, Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Immigration applicants. For information specific to your application, it is best that you contact IRCC directly using their web form. It usually takes 2-5 days for IRCC to respond, however wait times for a response may be longer due to the COVID-19 situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team