Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

9/28/2020
Topic:
How do I extend PR?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

If you plan on returning after your PR card expires, you may need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

With regard to PR renewal, IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

You may also want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/28/2020
Topic:
Hearings at the Landlord and Tenant Board

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand why this would be a concerning issue for you and empathize with your situation.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article My landlord is trying to evict me so that they or their family can move into my place. What should I do?

Your landlord might want to evict you so that they, a member of their family, or their caregiver can move into your place. If so, the landlord must first give you a written notice. The notice should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit – Form N12.
Also, your landlord must:
  • offer you another acceptable unit to move to, or
  • pay you at least one month’s rent.
You do not have to move out just because you get this notice. You can be forced to move only if the Landlord and Tenant Board makes an eviction order against you.

You may also want to write to a live chat operator on StepstoJustice.ca for legal information and referral options relevant to your situation. Their live chat feature can be found on the bottom right corner of every page.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
9/28/2020
Topic:
Do I have to pay for a new birth certificate?

dmal70 wrote:
Thanks for the thread. I was looking for related information.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on the forum. We hope this thread was helpful.
9/29/2020
Topic:
Need Help Looking for a Lawyer

Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this question. We understand that this can be a stressful situation, and hope we can provide helpful information to you and your friend.

If your friend's colleague has reported sexual abuse to the authorities, it is up to police to determine whether or not they can charge and arrest the accused. In which case, your friend may want to find legal help in criminal law. You may also find helpful information in Steps to Justice's article series on getting legal help in criminal law.

Between civil suit and criminal court, survivors of sexual abuse have a few different legal options they can pursue. Here is an excerpt on the legal options from the Ontario Women's Justice Network article, Sexual Assault: What are my Legal Options?:
Many survivors think that calling the police and using the criminal law is their only legal option if they have been sexually assaulted. While this is the only option that can lead to the person who assaulted you going to jail, there are other legal choices. Your other choices include making a human rights complain, a complaint to a disciplinary or professional governing body (for example, your university or the College of Physicians and Surgeons Complaints Committee etc.), or bringing a lawsuit in Civil Court. If you have been sexually assaulted, there is no right or wrong way to react. You should make the best decision for you.

Depending on the type of case, your friend may want to connect with a community legal clinic for advice regarding his situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search for a community legal clinic. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful, please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
Worried about PTSD, need help

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing and reaching out to us, I’m very sorry to hear about your dog's passing. It sounds like you’re making strides in taking the necessary steps to heal. Therapy can be helpful in processing difficult information and events like this one. You made a very brave first step by reaching out, and it is important that you continue to reach out for support when you feel this way. We hope to provide you with helpful information that the community here can also share their experiences with you.

If you are in post-secondary school, you are eligible for Good2Talk. Good2Talk is a free, confidential service for post-secondary students in Ontario, available 24/7/365. By calling 1-866-925-5454, post-secondary students in Ontario can receive professional counselling and information and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being.

Counselling can be a very helpful process. And, as you prepare for your first appointment, GoodHead.ca has a helpful resource on questions to ask yourself and service providers to prepare. If you have any additional questions or wish to follow up on your situation, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful. Take care, and let us know if you are looking for more information and/or support.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
owner selling

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand why this would be a concerning issue for you and empathize with your situation.

According to the Steps to Justice article My landlord wants to evict me because they are selling the place. What should I do?

Your landlord might want to evict you if they are trying to sell your place. This is a legal reason for eviction only if the buyer or the buyer’s close family member wants to move in.

If this is not the reason, your new landlord must honour the terms of your current lease. As a tenant, your legal rights remain the same. For more information on your rights as a Tenant in Ontario, please read the Settlement.Org article, What are your rights as a Tenant?

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services about paying rent that may be helpful.

If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
English Public Elementary & Secondary Enrollment

Hello There,

You may find some helpful information regarding enrolling children in school here: How do I enrol my child in school?

School administration offices are typically open all year, and the deadlines typically vary between local district school boards. These deadlines are not strict, it is also possible for your children to start school in the middle of the school year or semester should you return to Canada after September.

Ontario has 4 free public schooling systems, and attendance in public school will be determined by home address. Once you determine the school district you will live in, it is best that you call the administration office for information about registration dates.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
SIN

Cecilia wrote:
I already have a sin number but I need a card how do I get that

Hello,

Service Canada is now issuing SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Production of the plastic SIN card has stopped, however, SIN cards that are not expired and are currently in circulation can still be used.

It is best that you contact Service Canada directly. You can find some information on Social Insurance Number (SIN) here on the Government of Canada website.

Canada Toll-free: 1-800-206-7218 (select option "3")
Canada TTY: 1-800-926-9105
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time
Closed statutory holidays.

Outside Canada: 1-506-548-7961 (long-distance charges apply)
TTY: 1-800-926-9105
Hours of operation: Monday 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Atlantic time
Closed statutory holidays.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
SIN

Mario wrote:
Re: Dormant Social Insurance Number

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen, and I have been away from Canada for more than five years. In May, 2020, I returned to Canada, and I learned that due to the time I have been away, my Social Insurance Number is dormant, therefore, I tried to get my Social Insurance Number activated, but Citizenship Canada has been given me a hard time, and am totally frustrated and don't know what to do.

First attempt:
Around mid June, 2020, I requested on line to have my SIN activated, I sent copies of my Canadian passport, my Canadian citizenship card, and proof of residency (copy of correspondence received). A few days later I received a letter stating that my proof of residence was not acceptable.

Second attempt:
At the beginning of August 2020, I re-sent the documents, this time as proof of address, I sent a bank statement, my Canadian citizenship card, and my Canadian passport, a few days later, I received another letter stating that my citizenship card was unacceptable.

Third attempt:
I went in person to Services Canada, the one located at 885 Meadowlands, Ottawa, and I was told that I will get an answer in 1 1/2
to 2 months, however, the same documents listed above were taken and I am wondering, first of all, why it takes so long, secondly, that besides taking long time, the possibility of getting the same answer again since my third application is the same documents as my second application.

Please help... any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Mario

Hi Mario,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. We appreciate your interest in this kind of information.

Employment and Social Development Canada have listed the acceptable documents for your SIN application here on their website. Photocopies of these documents will not be accepted for this application. As Service Canada begins the gradual and safe reopening of in-person locations across the country, it may take some time to process your application.

If the same issue with your application persists, you may want to receive personalized online support by submitting a request using the eServiceCanada online service request form.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
Getting OHIP while waiting for permanent residency

Hi Mike,

The Ministry of Health is also taking measures to ensure access to medically necessary services to uninsured individuals to address the COVID-19 outbreak. According to the Steps to Justice article, I don't have status in Canada. What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?:

You don’t need OHIP coverage to be tested or treated for COVID-19 at assessment centres in Ontario.

The Ontario government announced uninsured people should not have to pay for testing and treatment for COVID-19 and other medically-necessary services. This includes medical services in hospitals and services by other healthcare providers in the community. You should not be charged for testing or treatment of COVID-19. But some healthcare providers outside of hospitals might decide to charge money for other services.

Visit the Healthcare Access Ontario website to find a walk in-clinic that provides medical care without charging fees.

This means that everyone, insured and uninsured, will receive medically necessary care.

As a person without OHIP, you also have other options for healthcare. Learn more about the many ways you can access healthcare in Ontario, including low-cost care and private health insurance.

Feel free to also call Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information regarding OHIP coverage as well.

Your Settlement.Org Team
9/30/2020
Topic:
WES - Wrong Assessment - Please Help

Sowmy wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam

WES:*******

I would like to bring to your notice the discrepancy in WES Evaluation Report.
My Masters in Business Administration(a full time 2 year course from WES recognized university) has been recognised as Post Graduate Diploma of 1 year.

I had taken up my case with WES for Review. The response received from WES is as follows:

"Dear Ms. P.T.

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns regarding your completed evaluation.

World Education Services (WES) has updated its policy specific to master’s degrees in business administration and postgraduate diplomas awarded in India.

WES recognizes business study in India as equivalent to a master’s degree in Canada a) when the student has completed a three (3) year MBA or b) when the credential is awarded by certain institutions, such as Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institutes of Management.

Sincerely,

Director of Evaluations"

The response is highly disturbing and alarming. A 3 year MBA is offered by Universities in India where the student is unable to attend /participate in a full time 2 year MBA course. Hence 3 year MBA is a part time course offered by OPen Universities like Indira Gandhi University(IGNOU), where the degree is obtained basis self learning and yearly assessments.
My concern is on following things:
1. A degree from a 3 year MBA part time course offered by open university is being made equivalent to a 2 year MBA degree from Premier Institutes like IIT/IIMs, etc. There is no weightage given to a part time/full time course in this case.
2. To gain admission to any 3 year MBA program, there is no requirement for clearing any competitive exam like CAT. Anyone is admitted to the 3 year MBA course.
3. I have cleared Competitive exam (common Admission Test) , known as CAT followed by interview to gain admission to MBA(2 year full time course).
4. My full time MBA is as rigorous as full time MBA from any other premier Institute unlike open universities which hardly have any continuous assessments/evaluation/practical knowledge nor training.

Kindly request your selves to put forth my genuine concerns with WES on their evaluation methodology that is hindering many applicants who have done a Masters (2 year full time course) and have been not given the benefit of the same.
This is highly demotivating young professionals like us who are more than eager to contribute to the Canadian economy.

Thanks
Sowmy

Hello There,

We appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. We understand that the outcome of your report may cause concern.

Unfortunately, we cannot make case-specific requests for information. It is best that you contact WES directly. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

You can appeal this decision if you wish. For information about the appeals process at WES, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful.

Here is an excerpt:
Submitting Application for Evaluations

For more information, visit Settlement.Org for articles on credential evaluation. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/1/2020
Topic:
English Public Elementary & Secondary Enrollment

We are glad you found helpful information in this thread and on our website, thank you for sharing your question with us! Please feel free to post again if you ever have more questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
10/6/2020
Topic:
How do I renew a health card without a license?

Michael C wrote:
This thread is very informative. I'm also on the dead-end of health card renewal

Thank you, we're glad you found this information helpful. Feel free to post here if you have any more questions.
10/6/2020
Topic:
Do I have to pay for a new birth certificate?

Michael C wrote:
Maybe you need to pay for it. I don't know the precise criteria.

Hi There,

A replacement for your birth certificate can cost between $25.00 and $75.00 with Service Ontario. The criteria for cost depends on the shipping and type of birth certificate you order and can be found on the Service Ontario Website.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
10/6/2020
Topic:
Would like Information on the Divorce Process

itsirelman wrote:
Hello,

I've heard that in some cases after the court decides to sell joint property, the funds are frozen for some time (could be a very long time), and are not split between the ex partners. My question is in which cases this happens, and if one of the partners refuses to collaborate (does something that makes the court to freeze the funds), what could the other partner do in order to resolve the situation.

Thank you

Hello,

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

It is best that you consult a reputable and registered lawyer familiar with family law regarding your situation. To find a at a Community Legal Clinic near you, you may wish to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community legal clinics in your area.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team